The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you do with Jake?

Rate this topic

iceman64

1 hour ago, Cromeslab said:

I regards to JV.... he's 24, most power forwards are establish by that age.  The only real exception that's been floating on this board is Bertuzzi, and as I have just stated... was an exception. 

$2.75 would be the max the Canucks should offer him.  Should he still not get it, just trade him.  Some player just never gets it.  

5 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

i cant believe all the hate. jake had a career year, he will only get better. he's worth 2.5 million right now and hasnt earned a contract for many years. my guess is he gets a 3-4 year deal at 2.5-3.0 AAV           

If he does, I don't think his agents is doing his job right.  Virtanen is 24 and just had his best year.  If I was advising him, I wouldn't want him to lock himself into a deal like that until he's 28.  

This is going to be a 1 or 2 years deal tops IMO.  If you want to buy 4 years, the cost will be more and Benning doesn't to lock himself that long at a higher AAV.  So, IMO 1 or 2 years deal.

With a player like Jake it doesn't matter as much which line he is on. 

He does not mesh well with other linemates. He does not read what's going on to well. 

His abilities lie in his speed, power and shot.  Not in his IQ.  

But he is trying to play otherwise.....a style he is not geared for.

I'm fine with keeping Jake and continued patients. He's capable of 30 goals.  

5 hours ago, amplified0ne said:

They need to trust their young players to do other things like kill penalties.  All you have to do is look at Kassian, Grabner etc.  Would never in a million years been trusted to kill penalties here, but they figured it out elsewhere.  Jake becomes a bigger asset if he can score 15-20+ and kill penalties, he'd probably score a goal or two shorthanded to boot.  But he's a less tradeable asset being a middle six winger that doesnt do anything else.

This. So much this. Jake was always toted as a Power Forward, but I’m not sure he’s developing as such. He has the skills to be a solid two-way forward, give him a chance to play the penalty kill and develop in that role. His speed with the combination that dumping pucks is the goal will keep opposing defenders honest.

• Like 1

Sign him for two years before the arbitration and then trade him.

He doesn’t fit.  He isn’t good enough defensively to play on Bo’s line, that will again do a lot of match up duties and he certainly isn’t smart enough to play with Petterson.  We have better options for cheaper on the 3rd line.

With the money you would spend on him you could sign both Leivo and a short term reclamation project like Athanasiou.

• Like 1

I don’t think JB has much choice our cap situation is terrible.
If he makes arbitration the decision will be made for Jim. If he’s Awarded to much we can’t keep him. 
Best case sign sign him and gaudette 

I doubt we could get anything better under our cap.

and bury Louie and bear to make the needed cap. 
Hope furLand retires and another team needs a “foundational” 4 mill 4th line Center. 

7 hours ago, the harry said:

Play him and Gaudette with a LW with playmaking skills and watch their stats go up. Baertschi - Gaudette - Virtanen.

Could turn out to be the line with the  worst defensive capability of all time. 

3 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Sign him and then trade with Sutter to release cap space. send baer and Loui to the minors

Use additional cap space for a true top 6 forward that will produce more consistently and a depth RD defenseman

It doesn't seem particularly likely that a team would want to add some 7M for 2 bottom of the lineup players when there are still so many good players on the market.  Toffoli cost less than Sutter.