The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you do with Jake?

Rate this topic

iceman64

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

If time is indeed up, and players e.g. Hoffman want to come here for $1 million and we're his team X, then I'd probably be open to moving on from Jake, esp. if management is done with his lack of consistency.

Not to be mean but come on man, Hoffman for $1 million..LOLZ..and Hoffman has a bad reputation for his attitude in locker rooms.

17 minutes ago, Law of Goalies said:

Not to be mean but come on man, Hoffman for $1 million..LOLZ..and Hoffman has a bad reputation for his attitude in locker rooms.

Don't shoot the messenger, just quoting from Thomas Drance's speculation on the Athletic that he wants to come to a team that needs to clear cap (and I realize that it might not be us, but there's a possibility and til any of us knows any better let's not go about shooting anything down).
Depending on how badly he wants to come and play with Pete and Hughes, that might be what he'll have to settle for.
For one year I don't think it's really that bad, and it's not like the team has always employed saints. 
People need to realize that some of the very same "bad character" guys are the same players with edge that playoff teams look for, or the skilled top-end guys.

Edited by Phil_314

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

If time is indeed up, and players e.g. Hoffman want to come here for $1 million and we're his team X, then I'd probably be open to moving on from Jake, esp. if management is done with his lack of consistency.

While I agree with your overall idea, no way Hoffman comes here for 1m - regardless of how much fun he would have playing with Petey. 

Edited by kloubek

On 10/18/2020 at 6:57 PM, Law of Goalies said:

To be honest, even as his fan/supporter, I am sometimes frustrated at what he should be able to do instead of what he is doing now. However, what people are blinded to is they only see what he should become instead of what he has been doing. I know him being drafted 6th overall and his size/skills makes people expect more from him (myself included) but we should stop being frustrated over his potential and just see how is doing and progressing. As long as he isn't hurting the team and has been steadily improving every season, there is no point in hating on the kid. It's like saying since Raffi Torres was drafted 5th overall, he should be torching the league with points but at the end of the day, you just see the player for what he is and see what he has been doing instead of saying he should be getting 100 points a year. Please note that I am only talking about his on ice performance. I also don't really agree with some of his decisions off the ice thou (but then again, P.Kane and E.Kane did stupid stuff before but turned out ok).

This is how I see him as well. He has been learning like all of our other prospects "How to be an NHL regular". I seen way more energy in his game when he first came in , remember the McDavid hit? Then I seen him tame his game down and he was told to learn how to play better defensively. I believe he has been doing that for the past couple of seasons now playing mostly on the 3rd and 4th lines. I would be satisfied that we did all we could with him once he is put in the top 6 to see if he can put it all together. Without that opportunity, I don't believe we have seen if he has that potential. 

Once he has been given that opportunity, I will be on the same train alot of you are on and making the bid to move on from him. Until then, I think the potential is still there. 

Keep Jake.  

He will either grow into a good top 6 forward (to which we can pay him accordingly), or he will remain a good 3rd line forward (to which we will pay him accordingly).

Boeser, Podkolzin, and Virtanen is excellent RW depth for both the short term and long term.

• Upvote 1