Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I dont think Virtanen has the IQ to become a top 6 forward.

Rate this topic


apollo18
 Share

Recommended Posts

I dream of a day when threads on this forum aren't inspired by the lowbrow talk radio guys on 650 and 1040.  Probably I'm setting the bar too high to expect thoughtful posts with new perspectives instead of the same old nonsense day after day.  How many more Louie or Jake threads do we need?  They already have their own threads - maybe we could talk about them in those threads instead.

 

  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2020 at 6:14 PM, RogersTowell said:

I dream of a day when threads on this forum aren't inspired by the lowbrow talk radio guys on 650 and 1040.  Probably I'm setting the bar too high to expect thoughtful posts with new perspectives instead of the same old nonsense day after day.  How many more Louie or Jake threads do we need?  They already have their own threads - maybe we could talk about them in those threads instead.

 

Well in that case what about Jim Benning?  Maybe it’s time we start another thinly veiled hate thread on him...it’s been a week or two ...

  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

It seems his off ice preparedness is lacking cause he is (at most time) a complete black hole when it comes to creating opportunities with his linemates (not even Gretzky can make him look good at this point).   Imo, he seems to be - also - passively aggressively protestesting the coaches insistant of putting into a certain role but at this point he has no one to blame but himself cause he was given an opportunity at the beginning of this season for a top 6 role and he squandered it - now he is sitting in the press box (what a waste, oh well)..  I wonder if anyone is mentoring him in the team but it will probably be a complete waste of time for both parties cause his attitude shows when he plays ?    

 

Probably the best way to deal with him is to have no expectation or have the expectation that he will eventually play himself to the bench.  Perhaps just like Kassian - when he realized that he was squandering his hockey career and with it the big payday, he will (refer to the GIF)

200.gif

 

His best days are probably somewhere else (unless JB manages to keep him like this until he is 26 or 28) cause it will probably happen prior to his last big FA and probably best to trade him after that.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lazy Jake looked lost out there against Montreal tonight.  He did have a couple of hits but other than that it was the usual being out of position and floating around aimlessly - as usual.  Hope he gets his act together soon because his days as a canuck are dwindling by the day.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/01/2021 at 11:24 PM, ShawnAntoski said:

It seems his off ice preparedness is lacking cause he is (at most time) a complete black hole when it comes to creating opportunities with his linemates (not even Gretzky can make him look good at this point).   Imo, he seems to be - also - passively aggressively protestesting the coaches insistant of putting into a certain role but at this point he has no one to blame but himself cause he was given an opportunity at the beginning of this season for a top 6 role and he squandered it - now he is sitting in the press box (what a waste, oh well)..  I wonder if anyone is mentoring him in the team but it will probably be a complete waste of time for both parties cause his attitude shows when he plays ?    

 

Probably the best way to deal with him is to have no expectation or have the expectation that he will eventually play himself to the bench.  Perhaps just like Kassian - when he realized that he was squandering his hockey career and with it the big payday, he will (refer to the GIF)

200.gif

 

His best days are probably somewhere else (unless JB manages to keep him like this until he is 26 or 28) cause it will probably happen prior to his last big FA and probably best to trade him after that.

Both Kassian and Virtanen should be in AHL not NHL. They both are inconsistent and cant play in the top 6 and are not good enough defensively to play bottom 6 roles. I bet in a couple of years they will not be playing in the NHL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Both Kassian and Virtanen should be in AHL not NHL. They both are inconsistent and cant play in the top 6 and are not good enough defensively to play bottom 6 roles. I bet in a couple of years they will not be playing in the NHL

He was ok last night in the 4th line were he is the best player.  At least, Kassian got a decent contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2020 at 10:01 PM, Crabby said:

Jake going to prove a lot of people wrong. If he gets put on the top line I will bet $ he pots 25+ goals

 

How do folks still believe this?

Its not that he can't elevate his game to a top 6 level..........for moments at a time.  It's about consistency. That is what is so maddening.  We, and JB as well, can see that potential, but only for one or two shifts at a time.  He had one or two shifts last night when he made some good hits. Then disappeared again.  Not that hes not trying. I really think he thinks he is trying.  I don't think he's lazy. He just does not have the mental quickness in such a fast game as professional NHL level hockey.  He is invisible mostly because he does not anticipate the flow of play very well at NHL level speed.  How many times do we watch Jake use his speed, carry the puck up the ice, then stop, look around confused, and then either just dump it in, or get checked off the puck?

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a surprise to see TG bench him again and guess what, the whole team played better against Montreal than two nights ago when Jake was floating around aimlessly - as usual.  It's pretty obvious he's just about done in this town.  Best thing is trade him for what ever they can get somewhere deep in the Southeast like Florida where no one will ever see him again.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, kilgore said:

 

How do folks still believe this?

Its not that he can't elevate his game to a top 6 level..........for moments at a time.  It's about consistency. That is what is so maddening.  We, and JB as well, can see that potential, but only for one or two shifts at a time.  He had one or two shifts last night when he made some good hits. Then disappeared again.  Not that hes not trying. I really think he thinks he is trying.  I don't think he's lazy. He just does not have the mental quickness in such a fast game as professional NHL level hockey.  He is invisible mostly because he does not anticipate the flow of play very well at NHL level speed.  How many times do we watch Jake use his speed, carry the puck up the ice, then stop, look around confused, and then either just dump it in, or get checked off the puck?

Sad to say I was one of those people.

 

Now I just don't know. I really thought this was his year.

 

 

  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, kilgore said:

 

How do folks still believe this?

Its not that he can't elevate his game to a top 6 level..........for moments at a time.  It's about consistency. That is what is so maddening.  We, and JB as well, can see that potential, but only for one or two shifts at a time.  He had one or two shifts last night when he made some good hits. Then disappeared again.  Not that hes not trying. I really think he thinks he is trying.  I don't think he's lazy. He just does not have the mental quickness in such a fast game as professional NHL level hockey.  He is invisible mostly because he does not anticipate the flow of play very well at NHL level speed.  How many times do we watch Jake use his speed, carry the puck up the ice, then stop, look around confused, and then either just dump it in, or get checked off the puck?

But, but we were told ....

 

Canucks draft meeting: Jake Virtanen - All Access - YouTube

 

LOL, especially the last sentnce, "he'll find a way"  .... yeah right JB at his best

 

 

Edited by Fred65
  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...