The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Senators sign Evgenii Dadonov

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Murray's contract will be over by the age Markstrom just signed his.  Murray is only 26 and is signed for 4 years.  No NMC and no signing bonus - they can more easily buy him out.

That's great that they have a contingency if he sucks, but his play hasn't warranted the contract he got. Age doesn't matter if your performance doesn't live up to the contract.

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Beagle's a good boy who takes on a large defensive/faceoff role, Roussel was fair value as well

Sutter can at least be useful in the lineup and doesn't hurt as much with only a year remaining

Paying Baer to play in think your joking rightthe AHL hurts, and we've beaten the Loui horse to death 

hope you are joking

• Wat 1

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

That's great that they have a contingency if he sucks, but his play hasn't warranted the contract he got. Age doesn't matter if your performance doesn't live up to the contract.

They figured it's the amount he'd get in arbitration.  He has backstopped the Penguins to 2 Cups.  He has struggled since his father's passing and a change of scenery could help him. 

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Beagle's a good boy who takes on a large defensive/faceoff role, Roussel was fair value as well

Sutter can at least be useful in the lineup and doesn't hurt as much with only a year remaining

Paying Baer to play in the AHL hurts, and we've beaten the Loui horse to death 

You can easily make the case for one or two of them, but five is a heavy drag on our cap (and make it six, if you count Ferland).

I’m not against having a veteran presence on a young team. Or paying top end UFA prices for key veterans to round out a group, and provide stability, culture, and leadership.

However, you definitely could do all that with fewer high paid bottom-sixers than we have in the lineup. And even the role players we arguably “needed” to have, could probably have been done with much cheaper options.

It is what it is. We now have far too much salary tied up in these guys, for far too little return on investment.

I could easily make a case for each individual player. But I really can’t defend them as a whole. We’ll get out of this mess soon enough, with most of the contracts expiring in 1-2 years, but it’s truly unfortunate that they’ve cost us chances to dramatically improve this roster.

Having cap space in this buyer’s market, and while Petey and Hughes are still on their ELC’s, would have been such a great opportunity.

Oh well. What’s done is done and there’s no sense in crying about it, I suppose.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

hope you are joking

3m for a 4c who's one of the better faceoff men in the league and who shoulder's a fair portion of this club's defensive draws really ain't the end of the world 

Rouss was full value in his first season here, and he ran into injury trouble last season, he's making 3m as a third liner which isn't unusual 

Would I prefer to not have Sutter, Eriksson, and Baer? Absolutely, but I wouldn't lump Rouss and Beagle in with them 

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

You can easily make the case for one or two of them, but five is a heavy drag on our cap (and make it six, if you count Ferland).

I’m not against having a veteran presence on a young team. Or paying top end UFA prices for key veterans to round out a group, and provide stability, culture, and leadership.

However, you definitely could do all that with fewer high paid bottom-sixers than we have in the lineup. And even the role players we arguably “needed” to have, could probably have been done with much cheaper options.

It is what it is. We now have far too much salary tied up in these guys, for far too little return on investment.

I could easily make a case for each individual player. But I really can’t defend them as a whole. We’ll get out of this mess soon enough, with most of the contracts expiring in 1-2 years, but it’s truly unfortunate that they’ve cost us chances to dramatically improve this roster.

Having cap space in this buyer’s market, and while Petey and Hughes are still on their ELC’s, would have been such a great opportunity.

Oh well. What’s done is done and there’s no sense in crying about it, I suppose.  

Undoubtedly, the Sutter/Eriksson/Baer contracts hurt and are taking up more cap than I'd like, I mostly took issue with the inclusion of Rouss and Beagle 

Ferland had injury trouble, it's hard to say what he'd have been if healthy 

And I agree it'd be nicer to have vets in the lineup who as a whole are better bang for their buck and that it'd be nice to have more cap flexibility while on Petey and Hughes's ELC, but it's easy to look back on contracts in retrospect 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Paying Baer to play in the AHL hurts, and we've beaten the Loui horse to death 

No we haven't. 

Beat it some more!!!

south park beat a dead horse GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I liked what Detroit would do with adding veterans like Alfredsson, Vanek, etc. Sure, they're older, but as a result they're likely to cost less and still provide that leadership. So then you could have maybe a couple younger veterans that cost a little more, but then another 2 or 3 could be cheaper because they're older.

Edited by The Lock

Sens have really had a combination of luck in the San Jose pick, as well as tremendous drafting the past couple years, and now taking advantage of their cap room and other teams' cap crunch to really put together a strong youth push, that won't be too far away from being the next team in the East to watch for a number of years in the playoffs.

Really happy for them.

I find it quite funny how polarizing the reactions are towards the Senators. People have been calling Melnyk a joke, but yet this whole rebuild plan was his idea to save money now and to spend when they felt ready to do so. He's been ridiculed for this idea for years. Now that they're simply following up on their plan, they're getting praised.

Now what have they done to deserve this praise. They traded for Matt Murray and gave up 20 year old Jonathan Gruden (66 points in 54 games with the London Knights) and a 2020 2nd round pick. And subsequently signed him for 6.25 million for 4 years in a cap crunched world. The jury is up on whether Murray will bounce back, but it's a gamble. He is a 2x Cup champ, but look at the team that was in front of him as well, which is a far cry from what he has in Ottawa. We all know how many feel here about 2nd round picks.

They acquired Gudbranson for a 5th round pick. We all know what the majority of CDC seems to feel about him.

They acquire Josh Brown for a 4th round pick, decent for a 3rd pair dman.

And most recently they signed Dadonov who's a solid winger, but he's 31 years old and many seem to cry about decline past 30. He could very well be their Eriksson, just not signed to as much term.

They've bought out Ryan. They lost Boroweicki who's a heart and soul type player. They may lose Duclair as they didn't qualify him (if this happened here, we would never hear the end of it). They didn't qualify Hawlyruk who had 7 points in 11 games for them last season and could lose him.

So they've spent youth, bought a 30+ player, acquired a risky goaltender, and may lose a top 6 forward and a heart type dman. All of these things are things that Benning have been criticized for. So which is it? Are these positive moves or negative moves?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Completely agree. Could've signed 1 of Beagle/Roussel, definitely not both. Baertchi in the minors does hurt. LE is just :picard:. Ferland is actually not bad, if he is healthy, that's 15-20 goals right there, if he isn't it goes to LTIR so it doesn't really hurt the team cap wise. Sutter was overpaid the moment we resigned him after he was acquired. JB could've waited a year and then negotiate. What's done is done, I don't even want to imagine how much this team could improve if we didn't have moneys tied up in these players. It is just the "what if" that I don't want to think of. Because if the Canucks have all the cap-space with the current market and Hughes/EP in their ELC, this season could really be the year. What's done is done, can't duel on that.

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

hope you are joking

I don’t think he’s joking and it’s pretty shortsighted to constantly complain about all these players. The only one we have a legit gripe about is Loui but at the time he signed that deal it was great value. He’s just been a horrible fit. 

Beagle is a cup winning leader with elite faceoff skills and provides quality penalty killing. 

Roussel plays a tough physical two way game and if he hadn’t gotten injured he would have had another overall strong year. 

Baertschi was given a very reasonable contract coming off a series off strong offensive years and unfortunately injuries and inconsistencies led to him falling out of favor. 

Sutter is just overpaid. If we had Sutter at 2.5 mil instead of what he makes no one would complain. Hard working penalty killer and provides very good defense. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

We could have signed 23 18 year olds at the same time who never played hockey before. We'd have 81.5 mil in cap space. 

JB is a rube :lol:

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Ottawa may very well be a surprise team coming outta the East. I don't think I hate any of the moves they been making.

Except it may not be the East.  We might end up playing them 8 or 12 times!!!

See:

https://www.thetelegram.com/sports/other-sports/jones-expect-to-see-an-all-canadian-division-next-nhl-season-509756