The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hang onto your hats (Proposal)

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

Hi Janis...back to your OP...

I don't think NYI have enough cap space to go through with your first proposal, they have $8.9m space currently but they are going to spend that on resigning Barzal.

However, if we DID manage to move Loui's contract and clear some space I certainly wouldn't spend it on TJ from Tampa (even for all those picks!). He will basically end up being another Loui for us. We either need cheap vets on 1-year deals or youth IMO.

It is actually NJ that owns NYI 2020 - 2nd

NJ is short players and alot of cap room

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

It is actually NJ that owns NYI 2020 - 2nd

NJ is short players and alot of cap room

Thanks for pointing that out! Yes I was just considering NJD as a possible landing spot for Loui too. I think they would be quite keen on Gaudette. NJD also very short on defensemen, it might take an add such as Juolevi or Rathbone to move Loui to NJD. I don't think they'd part with any picks either. That's just the current market we're in.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

You are ridiculously wrong but I don't care to go on with this.

If you go through the website and add up the sections it is clear that Teves Michaelis and Rafferty all count against the cap 700k each. They are included in the Canuck total of 79.5M.    If you click on their names you can see that their individual cap hits  for next year are 700k each. Can you please just go and do that?

He's not wrong. I think it may be because of the color difference? Green text on capfriendly denotes a 2-way contract. It just means that Michaelis, Teves, and Rafferty are on one-way contracts, which means they get paid NHL salary regardless of playing with Van/Uti, without counting against the cap, unless they get called up to the main roster. Add up the forwards, defence, goalies, buyout/recapture, and the $1.7m bonus overage, and it works out to the $79.5m.

Edited by Chickenspear

15 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Ok, lets look at our last 2 RFA's and what it will cost us.................Virtanen ($3 Million), Gaudette ($2,000,000)

Are they worth that.............the simple answer is yes

Can we afford them?..........the simple answer is no!

Here is the solution.

Trade #1 ......................................Jake Virtanen, Adam Gaudette and Loui Eriksson for NYIers 2021 - 2nd + 2021 - NJ 3rd

New Jersey is short on players and is generally in a youth movement. Ericksson is cheap defensive help.

OUT: Gaudette (2M) + Virtanen (3M) + Eriksson (6M)..........out $11,000,000

Now under normal circumstances, I would not advocate moving youth, however, these are not normal circumstances, and you will never see another time, where there is so much quality hanging around, nor so many teams wanting to move assets for cheap.

Now the second part of this is pretty basic...................................

Trade #2.......................................LW/C/RW Tyler Johnson + Tampa's 2022 2nd + Tampa's 2021 3rd for Future Consideration ($5,000,000 X 4)

Johnson plays all 3 positions, much like JT Miller. Johnson's role has diminished in the past few years, much like Millers......his buy out is approx 1,500,000 per year.

Now remember we got rid of Eriksson, and Johnson's buyout is a acceptable cost, if needed at any point. I certainly would not think we would have to buy him out  in the first or 2nd year. And he is a 40 point player, with a solid plus minus.

Signing: #1....................................Travis Hamonic 3 years @ $2,500,000 per.................Hamonic played big minutes last year 21:11 per game

This allows for Schmidt to be moved to either LHD and or RHD, when the need arises

IN: Johnson and Hamonic ($7,500,000)

Vancouver ends up with a net positive Cap of just around $500,000 while adding 2 - 2nds and 2 - 3rds.

The key, IMO with moving In Johnson and moving out Eriksson is the buy out is cheap and the addition is a positive one.

I *might* be ok with those Johnson and Hamonic deals if they didn’t hinder our ability to reup all of Pettersson, Demko, and Hughes, but I’m not sure if that would be the case.  

Although Eriksson is signed for two more years, I think this will be his last year on the Canucks.  With one year left and 2 million real dollars owed, he will either retire or be easily moved a la “The Marc Staal” deal (maybe we will have to add a little more than what the Rangers did or ask for a lot less).  

Im ok with Hamonic signing, but only one a 1 year deal for the above reasons.  

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just for interest.....why on 2 and 3?

A 2nd and 3rd is not enough to eat 4 years x $5 of Johnson - who has declined significantly, is another small winger (a natural C who is under 50% faceoff guy, has never handled hard minutes - isn't really a bottom six center - ie a declining small winger at this point and not a guy we want to lean on in our bottom 6).....      If we're taking that contract ($20 million worth of cap) on we need to get at least a Cal Foote + - and dump a lesser contract in return - and the problem remains a 4 year commitment to him at a bad time.  Not the kind of deal this team should be making at this stage - (2 or 3 years ago, ok...)  We're not in the picks for cap dumps stage imo.  Assessing Johnson as that easy to move - a 2nd/3rd imo is  to not really look at his poor production in recent years in context - the 47 pts he scored playing with Kucherov and Point - was not good and misleading - and the 31 pts he scored this year - more indicative and it all spells a larger cap dump than people realize. 

Hamonic I wouldn't be anywhere near as opposed to - I just think that taretting a closer to 1 million deal should be where they aim (might even get a comparable in this market)... I'd prefer they try to get a young RHD like Foote in a deal, and sign a 1 million range depth defensive D (will Ceci wind up in that range?).

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2

Johnson would just be another more expensive Sutter and not quite as bad as Eriksson

Sutter and retention half for Arizona's Cousins, Dvorak or Kessel and a 2nd +, if he would waive,?

Pearson should be shopped, he is UFA next year, get something at least

Edited by Lazurus
  • Cheers 1

On 10/16/2020 at 12:58 PM, Lazurus said:

Johnson would just be another more expensive Sutter and not quite as bad as Eriksson

Sutter and retention half for Arizona's Cousins, Dvorak or Kessel and a 2nd +, if he would waive,?

Pearson should be shopped, he is UFA next year, get something at least

Woa look at us getting along ha ha.   I agree with your first and last sentence.   With the exception we won’t be shopping Pearson if we are in the playoffs as a rental cost to replace him most likely won’t make sense.   Unless Motte does his best Burrows impression and works his way up and displaces Pearson.    That said IF we are a bubble team at the TDL I’m cool with scuttling the season on purpose to get one more lottery ticket into the picture for later.    To me a re-set is the best path, it appears so far JB is doing this by backing Demko and moving on from Tanev and Stecher.   Both those positions require a modest upgrade if we are going to contend - so far so good with Schmidt.      Personally if there is such a camp, im firmly in the camp that doesn’t stick any of our future cap in the mud - Johnson could definitely add some scoring punch to our third line - with some retention (1.5) and a sweetener he’d be fine but not as he is for sure, see Sutter 2.0 as a definite possibility.   There should still be some good deals next off-season as cap won’t go up next year either - he managed to weaponize it big time with a little patience to start the off season, would be awesome to see more of that in our future again to further plug holes in our defense and top six. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 9:10 PM, BigTramFan said:

Hey Vegas,

I think the main issue JB faces now is: Ferland and is he on LTIR?

If he is on LTIR, then this creates enough cap space for us to afford both Virtanen and Gaudette.

If he's not on LTIR, and he is by all reports healthy and keen to play, then we are not going to be able to afford both JV and AG. If this happens then we are going to have to try and move another contract, buy out Sutter in the second buyout window, or lose JV or AG for next to nothing.

For this reason I think we should try an sign Hamonic...if Ferland comes back, Trade Jake, if he doesn’t then your cap should be fine. The only thing that sucks is Ferland has attempted to come back a few times and failed now. Really tough predicament we’re in with his contract.

• Cheers 1