The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Racist attacks against Mi'kmaw fishers

thejazz97

3 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

RCMP consistently standing around doing nothing. I can only assume they're happy to let someone else assault indigenous people for a while. Disgusting inaction. 

You can't really blame them every time they get into a scuffle it's National News.

It's wild that so many people don't seem to realize Canada has racism issues, and they stem back to before Canada was a nation. Racism has always been a thing up here, it's part of our history yet so many Canadians like to point down at the US and say they're worse, as if maybe being a bit less racist than the US is something to be satisfied with.

Racism in Canada just tends to be more covert, it's presented differently. And then something like this pops up, or the woman who was killed in a wellness check, or the footage about the woman in the hospital from earlier this month, or Starlight tours, or the RCMP frequently overreacting or doing very little. 

This whole scenario is a huge mess, but it's not a surprising mess. 

4 minutes ago, Violator said:

You can't really blame them every time they get into a scuffle it's National News.

Nope.  But we CAN blame them for every time there's a scuffle that they sit and allow it to happen by sitting in their cruisers and doing SFA to stop it.

Watching as a mob burns down a van and destroys a lobster pound is essentially being complicit when your job is to serve and protect

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Violator said:

Solid strategy....

....sit by and watch arson, theft, willful damage and unlawful confinement....so you don't make the news.....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

It's wild that so many people don't seem to realize Canada has racism issues, and they stem back to before Canada was a nation. Racism has always been a thing up here, it's part of our history yet so many Canadians like to point down at the US and say they're worse, as if maybe being a bit less racist than the US is something to be satisfied with.

Racism in Canada just tends to be more covert, it's presented differently. And then something like this pops up, or the woman who was killed in a wellness check, or the footage about the woman in the hospital from earlier this month, or Starlight tours, or the RCMP frequently overreacting or doing very little. 

This whole scenario is a huge mess, but it's not a surprising mess. 

There's definitely an issue. Has been for years.

I remember doing a gig in a bar called the Alaska Way in Burns Lake back in the 80s. The town is close to 50-50 Caucasian and FN. All of the natives sat on one side of the bar and all of the white people sat on the other.

The bar staff even referred to the Native side as "The Reserve"....

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Nope.  But we CAN blame them for every time there's a scuffle that they sit and allow it to happen by sitting in their cruisers and doing SFA to stop it.

Watching as a mob burns down a van and destroys a lobster pound is essentially being complicit when your job is to serve and protect

This is the same retorict that you are probably against in the case of George floyd thread of having the cops Jim in.

You can't pick and choose thats not the way policing is supposed to be.otherwise start your own police force if you think you can b better at running it.

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Solid strategy....

....sit by and watch arson, theft, willful damage and unlawful confinement....so you don't make the news.....

George floyd thread people didn't wanna see police involvement and was mad when trump sent people.

Just now, Violator said:

This is the same retorict that you are probably against in the case of George floyd thread of having the cops Jim in.

You can't pick and choose thats not the way policing is supposed to be.otherwise start your own police force if you think you can b better at running it.

I'm sorry what?

Goerge flloyd was murdered because a cop forcibly knelt on his neck and artery for 10 mins

These RCMP members are watching as armed mobs set fire to vehicles, vessels, assault indigenous fishermen and destroy thousands of lobsters and hundreds of traps.

There IS no picking and choosing.  One is gd murder and the other is essentially being complicit in what is happening in Nova Scotia.

if I am tasked with guarding a specific location or item and watch a group walk in and steal or destroy it while essentially doing nothing.  I've failed at my job period

3 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I don't agree with what they're doing but the natives know they are using a broad interpretation of the treaty. The treaty is meant to allow natives to fish to feed their families. They're abusing it and selling the Lobsters they catch for $$$... I've heard them say the treaty doesn't define what feed or provide for their family really means... so certain individuals are just catching Lobsters and selling them.. which I think is BS. If you aren't eating the Lobster and selling them for $$$ then you should abide by the same laws as everyone else. Not all of them doing this.. but some of them are and that is what is pissing off the fisherman. 

Very narrow minded take.

Selling the lobster provides the First Nations people with income that can be used to buy other types of food. Do you really expect people to survive in a diet that only consists of lobster? 

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm sorry what?

Goerge flloyd was murdered because a cop forcibly knelt on his neck and artery for 10 mins

These RCMP members are watching as armed mobs set fire to vehicles, vessels, assault indigenous fishermen and destroy thousands of lobsters and hundreds of traps.

There IS no picking and choosing.  One is gd murder and the other is essentially being complicit in what is happening in Nova Scotia.

if I am tasked with guarding a specific location or item and watch a group walk in and steal or destroy it while essentially doing nothing.  I've failed at my job period

What about the rail blockades last year around this time?

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Absolutely true. Unfortunately, there are many people (in BC and other provinces) who don't really understand how things are.

While it's true that there are opportunities that are aimed specifically at First Nations peoples, it's also true that there are significant requirements that they have to meet before those opportunities can be accessed. It it not simply "handouts' as some would have you believe.

Another common refrain, is that FN people "don't pay taxes". Also incorrect. My wife and daughters are members of the Wet'suwet'en nation and I know for a fact that they pay taxes, because I'm the one who buys Turbo Tax and does their returns every year.

I don't know if the best term to use is "racism" or "ignorance". Probably, it's a combination of the two.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

They tend to go hand in hand

As does "narcissism". Its funny how they are all eerily similar.

4 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Very narrow minded take.

Selling the lobster provides the First Nations people with income that can be used to buy other types of food. Do you really expect people to survive in a diet that only consists of lobster? 

Apparently he is thinking we are still living like we were hundreds of years ago? :unsure:

10 minutes ago, Violator said:

What about the rail blockades last year around this time?

What about armed RCMP allowing workers in and forcibly confining first nations to their homes during a peaceful protest and negotiations over land issues regarding a pipeline?

There's a REASON those happened.

22 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

There's definitely an issue. Has been for years.

I remember doing a gig in a bar called the Alaska Way in Burns Lake back in the 80s. The town is close to 50-50 Caucasian and FN. All of the natives sat on one side of the bar and all of the white people sat on the other.

The bar staff even referred to the Native side as "The Reserve"....

Yeah, that's not surprising either. Sad, but not surprising. 

Lot of stigma attached to Canada's indigenous people's too, which certainly doesn't help. 

21 minutes ago, Violator said:

Terrible comparison.

Nobody blames the cops for arresting Floyd. The store owners called the cops on him for allegedly trying to pass off a counterfeit bill. What people were unhappy about was the cop kneeling on his windpipe for 8 minutes.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

What about armed RCMP allowing workers in and forcibly confining first nations to their homes during a peaceful protest and negotiations over land issues regarding a pipeline?

There's a REASON those happened.

Like I said aboriginals should police aboriginals it would mean the end to the chief system.

13 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Very narrow minded take.

It isn't narrow minded at all. There are seasons for when you can and can't fish for lobster if it's not lobster season then you can't sell the lobsters you caught out of season. 

40 minutes ago, chon derry said:

so only commercial fishermans familys ,with a 200 year history get to stake claim?  the Mi'mak and acadians fought the british for 75 years in the early 1700s ,and held them off . the 2 groups formally complained to the French commander at fort louisborg  only to have france stake claim to the entire east coast . the 2 groups NEVER conceded ANY land ever  nor were they included in the initial treatys .since all of these raw deals way back when they have signed 'peace and friendship'  treatys  one of which allows the harvesting of cod, capelin, lobster ,crab ,shrimp ,shellfish. Being half Haida myself and knowing how long they have inhabitated Haida Gwai (14,000) years that they know of...the length of time spent in the area is exactly how it works . when this lobster fiasco goes back to court   which it will . all the clouded memories will be cleared up.  something like this would never happen on the west coast  since the commercial sector ,fisheries, the processing and the enhancement , the majority would be Native input. the east coast fisheries has always been a greedy MESS! 

Not what I was saying at all. I was saying the treaty is broad and needs clarification cause lots of wildlife related things are regulated now. These regulations should have to be abided by everyone unless the natives are using them to live off or they're doing traditional things. 

Otherwise I can go up to a native and say hey get me 300lbs of lobster and then flip it to a distributor or you could have a native set up as a distributor and sell the lobsters directly to restaurants or whomever when no one else can.. I don't agree with that. Everyone should have to abide by the regulations that are in place with the exceptions that I alluded to above.