The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quick question: Is Myers next year expansion protected?

Rate this topic

tan

23 minutes ago, mll said:

ELC players need to be protected if they have more than 2 pro-years.  Juolevi and Rafferty are not exempt and require protection.  

But Juolevi and Rafferty don't meet the Games Required minimum. Now, that can easily change, but I'm not convinced the season will be much over 40 games (probably somewhere between 42-48 games)... so they'd need to play almost the entire season as a regular -- each -- to be qualified -- am I wrong?!?

That said, you can easily just swap out Myers for Juolevi and I don't think anybody would be upset by that besides maybe Edler himself.

9 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

This is true. But according to Cap Friendly we must leave one defenceman unprotected who has met the requirements indicated in the graphic here. 

At the moment that would mean we would have to expose Schmidt, Edler or Myers unless one of the others plays the required games remaining shown. Benn at 19 RG seems likely, or they could expose Edler as a UFA?

The player has to be signed through 2021/22 - Edler is UFA and wouldn't qualify.  

Once they know the length of this coming season, I would expect them to adjust the game thresholds.  

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Quantum said:

But Juolevi and Rafferty don't meet the Games Required minimum. Now, that can easily change, but I'm not convinced the season will be much over 40 games (probably somewhere between 42-48 games)... so they'd need to play almost the entire season as a regular -- each -- to be qualified -- am I wrong?!?

That said, you can easily just swap out Myers for Juolevi and I don't think anybody would be upset by that besides maybe Edler himself.

Every player that is not protected or exempt is exposed.  Among the exposed players there must be at least 1 D + 2 Fs with 40/70 NHL games.  

Not having reached those games does not mean exemption.  The player would simply not qualify as the 1 D / 2 Fs that the team is forced to leave exposed. 

CapFriendly has an expansion simulator with all the players by team that are exempt and exposed:  https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

more info about clauses from NHL expansion rules;

teams were required to protect any contracted players with no move clauses (NMCs) with one of the team's slots for protected players, unless the contract expired on July 1, 2017, in which case the NMC was considered void for the draft.[9][10] Players whose NMCs had limited no trade clauses had to still be protected, and any players with NMCs were able to waive the clause and become eligible for the expansion draft.[9]

14 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I might go against the grain here and argue that I wouldn't mind exposing Myers and having him being claimed.    

We get 6 million off our books to help us in signing Petey, Demko, and Hughes, while Seattle takes on Myers for what might be the start of his declining years.    Hughes and Schmidt continue to be the kingpins of our defense, while guys like Juolevi, Rathbone, Tryamkin, and Rafferty might be further in their development at that time.   

Meanwhile, we'll have had Myers for his full value of 6 million.  

TBH you would expose half the team, use the other half to dump LE, Sutter etc 

probably would offload Myers as a cap dump even if there is value.

pretty much in the DIR team there is only  QH and EP everyone else was traded, waived or dumped 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I might go against the grain here and argue that I wouldn't mind exposing Myers and having him being claimed.    

We get 6 million off our books to help us in signing Petey, Demko, and Hughes, while Seattle takes on Myers for what might be the start of his declining years.    Hughes and Schmidt continue to be the kingpins of our defense, while guys like Juolevi, Rathbone, Tryamkin, and Rafferty might be further in their development at that time.   

Meanwhile, we'll have had Myers for his full value of 6 million.  

Seattle is too invested in analytics to pick up Myers. In their GM search they analysed the efficiency of his signings. Myers is already paid like a top-D and it's a flat cap environment.  Numbers also show that players start to decline past a certain age.  Seattle more likely to pick up a UFA and let him walk than take on a questionable contract.  They only have to take 20 players under contract.  They can walk away from their other 10 selections should they chose to.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

I know it’s a different subject but after looking at the capfriendly site I see Minnesota has a problem...three defence men not named Matt Dumba have NMC. They could stand to lose a pretty good player if they don’t do something. Suter and Spurgeon will be tough to move at over 7.5 each but I wonder if they would be willing to part with Brodin rather than lose Dumba for nothing...another lefty and I suck at trades but I wouldn’t want to lose Dumba in an expansion draft because of too many NMC’s

3 hours ago, Amebushi said:

I know it’s a different subject but after looking at the capfriendly site I see Minnesota has a problem...three defence men not named Matt Dumba have NMC. They could stand to lose a pretty good player if they don’t do something. Suter and Spurgeon will be tough to move at over 7.5 each but I wonder if they would be willing to part with Brodin rather than lose Dumba for nothing...another lefty and I suck at trades but I wouldn’t want to lose Dumba in an expansion draft because of too many NMC’s

They gave Brodin an NMC on his current contract (there wasn't one before) and on his new one - Guerin has clearly no intention to move him and now can't.  

Spurgeon has not even started his new contract.  Suter is still performing at a high level.  Can't see them looking to move any of their NMC Ds out.  Guerin also handed out 2 of those NMCs on long term contracts - signals that he sees those Ds there long term.

Minnesota is protecting 4 Ds if they don't move Dumba before expansion.   Expansion is really not an issue for the Wild. 

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1