The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Eriksson+ for Colin Miller

If Buffalo has an internal cap then they would make a good trade partner.

They have only 10 fwds signed (plus 2 unsigned RFAs) and 8 defencemen signed (plus 1 unsigned RFA), 5 of which are RD.

Miller makes $3.875M this year for 2 more years... cap hit AND real dollars. 

Trading him for Eriksson would increase their cap hit, but save them $2.75M in real $$ over the two years. 

They'd resolve an excess RD problem and gain a fwd which they need.

Canucks have extra fwds right now and need RD.   They'd also save ~$2M in cap space.  And as a bonus, reunite Schmidt with Miller (who put up 2 good seasons with Vegas right before a bad year last year in Buffalo).

I put Eriksson+ in the title, presuming JB would need to add a sweetener pick/prospect.

Edited by Jayinblack
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

I like this a lot. Miller has dropped off since being traded but part of that is the terrible team and he's also have issues with the coaching apparently. He'd probably be very happy to be back in the west with an old Vegas team mate. 

Q is, whats the "+"? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

I like this a lot. Miller has dropped off since being traded but part of that is the terrible team and he's also have issues with the coaching apparently. He'd probably be very happy to be back in the west with an old Vegas team mate. 

Q is, whats the "+"? 

Just as long as it doesn't involve a 1st, OJ, Pods, Hogs, or Woo then i'd be ok with it.

I would certainly support this move as well but I can only believe Buffalo would do this if the rumors of an internal cap are true. I don't understand why they would go out and sign a Taylor Hall for $8M if they are planning to operate with a lower cap. There are also a couple of other players that could be more appealing to Buffalo if indeed they are trying to cut the payroll.

It’s also important to remember that they can still carry a higher cap hit overall, but have a lower cap on actual cash spent. They can go out and target players that carry a lower actual salary regardless of their cap hit. One such example would Derek Stepan of the Arizona Coyotes. He carries of a cap hit of $6.5 million, but is only owed $2 million in actual salary next season, according to Cap Friendly.

Sean Monahan is another player that falls into this. He’s only owed $2.5 million in salary next season and he also receives no more bonuses for the remainder of his contract.

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2020/9/11/21429119/report-buffalo-sabres-could-face-an-internal-salary-cap

29 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

They have only 10 fwds signed (plus 2 unsigned RFAs) and 8 defencemen signed (plus 1 unsigned RFA), 5 of which are RD.

Trading him for Eriksson would increase their cap hit, but save them $2.75M in real $$ over the two years. 

Canucks have extra fwds right now and need RD.   They'd also save ~$2M in cap space.  And as a bonus, reunite Schmidt with Miller (who put up 2 good seasons with Vegas right before a bad year last year in Buffalo).

I put Eriksson+ in the title, presuming JB would need to add a sweetener pick/prospect.

The plus would be at least a 1st maybe a prospect too.  

29 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

I like it! Somebody get JB on the phone, Let's do this thing!!!

;)

Miller actually has a very buy outable contract if he didn't pan out. Would only cost us a little under 1.3 million per season.

Why does LE waive his NTC to go to a bottom feeder when he's on a team trending up?  I know many people will want him to waive, but what's in it for him and his family?  Thus far it's been clear that JB/Green haven't been willing to send him any 'messages' other than the odd healthy scratch which doesn't really negatively affect his family.  Yeah,  being scratched sucks but it's not like he got sent to Utica like Bear did.  I understand he has a m-ntc but I doubt Buf is an option for him.  If JB had previously waived him and sent him to Utica and the writing was on the wall that it would happen again then I  could see him wanting out, but right now I see him being very comfortable collecting his paychecks and living his life.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Sabres also don't have any cap space (Reinhart and Olofsson, PLUS Ullmark their goalie are all RFA).  

I hope people can start researching their cap dump proposals first because frankly no one has real cap space (besides likely Ottawa or Detroit).  

Ottawa signing Dadonov and Murray seems like a good indication that they are looking to take the next step.  Doesn't sound like they are looking to take bad contracts.

Detroit seems to be the only team that talks of taking on bad contracts for futures - probably not cheap.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Why does LE waive his NTC to go to a bottom feeder when he's on a team trending up?  I know many people will want him to waive, but what's in it for him and his family?  Thus far it's been clear that JB/Green haven't been willing to send him any 'messages' other than the odd healthy scratch which doesn't really negatively affect his family.  Yeah,  being scratched sucks but it's not like he got sent to Utica like Bear did.  I understand he has a m-ntc but I doubt Buf is an option for him.  If JB had previously waived him and sent him to Utica and the writing was on the wall that it would happen again then I  could see him wanting out, but right now I see him being very comfortable collecting his paychecks and living his life.

There's a reason his agent was given permission to solicit league-wide for a deal.  I guess it boils down to whether or not he cares anymore about suiting up in the NHL.

We'd save a tiny bit of cap space by sending him to Utica and replacing him with MacEwan or Bailey on the 4th line

Edited by Jayinblack
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Sabres also don't have any cap space (Reinhart and Olofsson, PLUS Ullmark their goalie are all RFA).  

I hope people can start researching their cap dump proposals first because frankly no one has real cap space (besides likely Ottawa or Detroit).  

You think those 3 will take up the $13.6M in cap space the Sabres currently have?

They still have 5 RD signed and only 12 fwds AFTER signing RFAs.

I'd still want JB to make this trade if he had to retain $2M on Loui to keep the cap hits the same.

1 hour ago, Jayinblack said:

the only problem is this probably doesnt make thier team any better, and buffalo is trying to win more games and so are we. loui erikkson just played the worst hockey in his life in the playoffs, and on top of that millers cap is pretty good. plus why not just trade miller for picks and sign AA for cheap?

it's nice dreaming that LE is tradable but im pretty sure he is not a roster player any more on most teams

With Reinhart and Olofsson still needing to sign, I don't think the Sabres would be interested in acquiring Eriksson, not unless it resulted in moving out around the same $.

I don't know how Okposo is nowadays but from what I can tell, he has declined significantly so I expect the Sabres would want to move out his contract.  Problem is that he has 3 more years on his deal.  It would be great for the Sabres but not so great for the Canucks to make a swap like that (if they even had the cap space to do it).  I doubt Buffalo would want to retain for Okposo in that situation which could be maybe the only way I could see that working (e.g. Okposo (1/2) + Miller for Eriksson + pick or mid-tier prospect).

I suspect Buffalo could have more interest in a Sutter for Miller swap but that doesn't save the Canucks much cap, adds nearly $4M in salary/cap for next year, and leaves a gap in the forward unit unless they are confident that Gaudette can fill the 3C role.

Until Ottawa signed Dadonov yesterday, I thought the Canucks might have a better shot of making a deal with them but I don't think they'll have much interest in what the Canucks have to offer based on their recent roster decisions.  They have done pretty well for themselves this offseason IMHO.

1 hour ago, Jayinblack said:

Gee, I wonder why GMJB never thought of this?

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

Q is, whats the "+"? 

Yes I agree but he had serious knee surgery so will be interesting to know health condition? I do like Miller..

Eriksson will be playing in the AHL next season for the Abbotsford Comets because of the Canucks playing in the Canadian division.

It will be useless to call players up from the farm in Utica if they have to quarantine for 14 days

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Upvote 1