Sign in to follow this  
GMmaster13

[Speculation] Virtanen deal may be done

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Simple solution. Bo should tell his buddy Baer to "take one for the team". First scrimmage Edler throws a decent hit on Baer(goin down wing), & he falls on his a$$. At bench complains of headache. Tell Docs all the symptoms they need to hear, & he goes on LTIR. "Oh, we're real worried..he's had history with this, yada yada"

He gets a gig with team down the road..EU scout? Whatever. They could also tell Sutter to whine about his groin. Take 2 or 3 mos.. no worries. Dude could play a 40-50 gm season, & grab a full salary. Gaudette & others can show their stuff first couple mos

I think the US teams pull this scam all the time. Guy says he's concussed..that can't be dis-proven.

Anyways, if some real injuries pop up..say guys blocking shots break a foot. Then your LTIR's can come back when the numbers jive.

Just this last yr we have to jump through these hoops. Next yr should be kosher.

That would be unethical 

are you suggesting we commit illegal acts as a team? 

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Simple solution. Bo should tell his buddy Baer to "take one for the team". First scrimmage Edler throws a decent hit on Baer(goin down wing), & he falls on his a$$. At bench complains of headache. Tell Docs all the symptoms they need to hear, & he goes on LTIR. "Oh, we're real worried..he's had history with this, yada yada"

He gets a gig with team down the road..EU scout? Whatever. They could also tell Sutter to whine about his groin. Take 2 or 3 mos.. no worries. Dude could play a 40-50 gm season, & grab a full salary. Gaudette & others can show their stuff first couple mos

I think the US teams pull this scam all the time. Guy says he's concussed..that can't be dis-proven.

Anyways, if some real injuries pop up..say guys blocking shots break a foot. Then your LTIR's can come back when the numbers jive.

Just this last yr we have to jump through these hoops. Next yr should be kosher.

Bo has too much character to do something like that.

• Hydration 1

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Care to explain? I don't see that big of a difference from Mangiapane's numbers to Jake's that would warrant up to a million more.

Mangiapane has had one decent year.  Before this year he was up and down to the ahl and his contract is based on potential.  Jake has been consistently improving and putting up better numbers every year and has built up a pretty strong resume at the NHL level.  His career is much deeper than Mangiapane at this point 

• Like 1

is this the same source that said the Toffoli deal was done? 

I don't know that we want Jake on a multi-year deal yet... I'd be concerned about his motivation if he gets something like a 3 year deal tbh.

• Hydration 2

15 hours ago, oldnews said:

Does that mean they've already signed Virtanen?

Yes, but that Taj dude spoiled the secret. Now all hell is gonna break loose.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Mangiapane has had one decent year.  Before this year he was up and down to the ahl and his contract is based on potential.  Jake has been consistently improving and putting up better numbers every year and has built up a pretty strong resume at the NHL level.  His career is much deeper than Mangiapane at this point 

But they're pretty much at the same point now. All this proves is that Mangiapane could be rising rapidly while Jake continues his slow progression. There's not enough consistency from year to year to garner Jake that much more. Mangiapane's playoff performance would continue the trend that he may have even surpassed Jake already.

I think Jake's best hope is to take the same deal as Mangiapane. To be clear, I'm not trying to knock Jake, but I just don't see anything clear that shows Jake is deserving more, let alone up to a million more.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

But they're pretty much at the same point now. All this proves is that Mangiapane could be rising rapidly while Jake continues his slow progression. There's not enough consistency from year to year to garner Jake that much more. Mangiapane's playoff performance would continue the trend that he may have even surpassed Jake already.

I think Jake's best hope is to take the same deal as Mangiapane. To be clear, I'm not trying to knock Jake, but I just don't see anything clear that shows Jake is deserving more, let alone up to a million more.

One similar doesn't mean they're at the same point.  Jake has proven he gets better year after year, AM has not.  

Jake will likely get a chunk more $ and definitely more term

Edited by stawns

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

One similar doesn't mean they're at the same point.  Jake has proven he gets better year after year, AM has not.  

But they have very similar stats, play similar minutes (if anything Jake has had more PP time to pad his stats). I think the only think Jake has going for him is that he can take a 1 year deal to further prove himself if he doesn't want to lock down for 2 years.

I guess we will find out soon enough.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

But they have very similar stats, play similar minutes (if anything Jake has had more PP time to pad his stats). I think the only think Jake has going for him is that he can take a 1 year deal to further prove himself if he doesn't want to lock down for 2 years.

I guess we will find out soon enough.

Jake has a resume, AM doesn't.  I think it's either a 1 year deal around $3m or a 3-4 year deal around $4m

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, stawns said:

Jared McCann got $2.95M x 2yr.  And almost similar point totals.

JV will probably get around that. 

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Jake has a resume, AM doesn't.  I think it's either a 1 year deal around $3m or a 3-4 year deal around $4m

Jake hasn't come close to earning that. Do you really think he's earned the same contract as Toffoli? 

• Hydration 2

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't even think he earns that through arbitration. If that's his asking price, I would've traded him long ago.

40 minutes ago, stawns said:

He does have a resume which shows continued progression even with the limited ice time. I see him coming in around 3.5 to 3.75 for 3-4 years. 

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I don't even think he earns that through arbitration. If that's his asking price, I would've traded him long ago.

He definitely earns $3m in arbitration.  He was on a near 20 goal pace in 2019 over 82 games and on a 23 goal pace over 82 games this past season.  He'll get paid for that.  He has improved every year and there's no reason to believe he's not going to continue that trend and he might be a big bargain with a longer term deal.  

34 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Jake hasn't come close to earning that. Do you really think he's earned the same contract as Toffoli? 

If they want to buy a cpl years of UFA, that's probably going to be in the ballpark.  His numbers get better every year and there's no reason to think that's going to change.

As with Boeser, I think Jake would put up similar numbers as TT given the same overtime with the same linemstes, yes

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

He definitely earns $3m in arbitration.  He was on a near 20 goal pace in 2019 over 82 games and on a 23 goal pace over 82 games this past season.  He'll get paid for that.  He has improved every year and there's no reason to believe he's not going to continue that trend and he might be a big bargain with a longer term deal.  

If he manages to get any regular time in the top 6 he definitely could improve his numbers easily. Thats if our coach values our young prospects over Lost Lui.

• Hydration 1

46 minutes ago, BPA said:

Jared McCann got $2.95M x 2yr.  And almost similar point totals.

JV will probably get around that. 

That's pretty much what I said on a short term deal.

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

is this the same source that said the Toffoli deal was done? 

I don't know that we want Jake on a multi-year deal yet... I'd be concerned about his motivation if he gets something like a 3 year deal tbh.

What do you have to back up that worry?

Nobody wants any of JBs horrible contracts.

owers most likely don’t want to spend to fix his f ups. (Again)
his stupidity has handcuffed him and put us in this position. 
with all the top talent we lost already we should have money to spare instead we need to give more players away to compensate for his Mismanagement.
Keep making those great job Jim threads thou. :picard:

• Confused 2