The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Penguins sign Cody Ceci

42 minutes ago, oldnews said:

With the Capitals signing Schultz, Van Reimsdyk, LaDue, Dillon....

They have Carlson, Orlov, Schultz, Dillon, Kempny, Jensen, VanReimdyk....

Only 11 forwards.....and no cap space....

Seigenthaler might be a potential take under the circumstances....

Kempny is out long term and when Washington found out they re-signed Dhillon.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Kempny is out long term and when Washington found out they re-signed Dhillon.

Quite relevent considering Seigenthaler is also a LHD lol - my braincramp had me 'remembering' his as a RHD.....

Scratch that former proposal...back to the drawing board....

Maybe Hainsey might be a good placeholding option if he'd consider that drastic a pay/cap cut....assuming they're looking at UFAs as opposed to another trade...

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Quite relevent considering Seigenthaler is also a LHD lol - my braincramp had me 'remembering' his as a RHD.....

Maybe Hainsey might be a good placeholding option if he'd consider that drastic a pay/cap cut....assuming they're looking at UFAs as opposed to another trade...

Hainsey is an interesting option. He played 20+ minutes in Ottawa. Now of course it was Ottawa, but he should be able to handle a bottom pairing role. He was the top PKer on their team I believe and he only took 12 minutes in penalties all of last season. Of course he's 39 though, but a one year cheap deal to hold the fort until hopefully Tryamkin returns isn't the worst thing.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd take him for 1M as a 6th defenceman. He's nowhere near good enough for top 4 minutes but this is his role now - big tough bottom pairing defenceman who can play 2nd pairing PK minutes. 

He might be big but he's definitely not tough. I'd be ok with taking him as a 6th dman as well but by no means would he move the needle in either direction. There are better players out there who could have more of an impact including our own young guys.

There are still some decent UFAs available that may have to accept a low cost 1-yr show me contract.

C. Wilson or E. Haula may be two C's in this situation; especially Haula, who would make a cheap 3C.

I think Sutter will be bought out, adding $2m cap space 1-1.5m x1yr for Haula with Gaudette

moving to RW.

Harmonic RD may be in the same boat. He didn't fit well in Calgary and I suspect some of the old boys club gms are not liking how he left his team at playoff time. He will likely only sign with a western CDN team as well, which lowers his options.  Waive Bear to add $1m to cap and sign Harmonic 2-2.5m x1.

The problem is signing Gaud and Jake (although he may be traded). Perhaps signing them 2yrs with a lesser amount in the first.

Not sure how much the team can go over cap here. They also have Ferland's probable LTIR $.

The Luongo $3m is making me puke right now.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Hainsey is an interesting option. He played 20+ minutes in Ottawa. Now of course it was Ottawa, but he should be able to handle a bottom pairing role. He was the top PKer on their team I believe and he only took 12 minutes in penalties all of last season. Of course he's 39 though, but a one year cheap deal to hold the fort until hopefully Tryamkin returns isn't the worst thing.

Hainsey is a damn good defenseman.  He may not be forever, but to this point in both Toronto and Ottawa, 'foundational' - and througout his career.

I overlook him generally because I assume he would cost too much - and at the price I project him to be worth, I think the team was correctly looking to spend more for a longer term two way guy and secondary puck mover....

But if Hainsey were to sign in the range of what Ceci just did due to the tight Covid market - the player he has been is excellent value in the million range (and any decline fear is irrelevent because that is sub waiver level cap.   Just spent the year playing with Chabot - could be a good partner for Juolevi.

• Cheers 3

17 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

You can’t compare contracts signed before the Covid induced flat cap to ones signed this offseason.  

Ok?

He recvd twice the pay as Fantenburg.  Also twice the term. Signed the same off season?

I liked the Benn signing then.  So far it has not worked out.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, oldnews said:

19 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I've always liked Hainsay a lot. Just seems to bring it in any situation. Would be a heck of a locker room prescence as well.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I've always liked Hainsay a lot. Just seems to bring it in any situation. Would be a heck of a locker room prescence as well.

I was wondering how low market values would dip.

Proposed numerous times to sign Ceci if he gets down into this range- thought it might be wishful thinking that market value would tank that substantially - but with the exception of the Leafs paying Brodie market value from 4 years ago, values appear otherwise to really have tanked.

So Hainsey may  not be unrealistic after all.  I'd definitely be fielding him an offer in this range - he'd be a nice add for this team - can anchor a young defenseman and be a principal penalty killer - something I think we still need... sign Hainsey, Fanta and Leivo - dump one low to moderate contract for now (Benn) and continue to lurk....

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Ok?

He recvd twice the pay as Fantenburg.  Also twice the term. Signed the same off season?

I liked the Benn signing then.  So far it has not worked out.

I wasn’t defending Benn. I was talking about how this offseason we’re seeing, and are likely to continue to see, a lot of bargain signings.

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

and are likely to continue to see, a lot of bargain signings.

I dont disagree with that.

It was predictable that the secondary market would be depressed? Bargains to be had. Unfortunately we also knew we were going to have to be bargain shoppers.

Now we have to pick a Hainsey, or similar, at a mill? 

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I dont disagree with that.

It was predictable that the secondary market would be depressed? Bargains to be had. Unfortunately we also knew we were going to have to be bargain shoppers.

Now we have to pick a Hainsey, or similar, at a mill? 

Yeah, maybe. We’ll pick up at least one more veteran D and likely from the bargain bin barring some serious trades. 

On 10/17/2020 at 3:00 PM, higgyfan said:

The Luongo $3m is making me puke right now.

No kidding.. in an offseason where 3 mil feels more like 6 it really stings.  Typical luck.  

On the bright side, next offseason we take care of Hughes, Petey and Demko if the cap is still all wonky maybe we get them for a bargain.  At least compared to the monsters that the Leafs and Oilers young guys got.  

When the Luongo deal and Eriksson come off the books (with Roussel and Beagle) that’s 15 mil to make a real push from guys that can be replaced internally or on the cheap. 

That offseason with only Boeser needing maybe a 2 mil raise of our core pieces we could be in amazing shape.  

Sucks that we can’t really cash in this offseason but we could be clear cut contenders in a few years with our core still very productive in their mid / late 20s. 

• Like 1