The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Bruins re-sign Matt Grzelcyk

Was wondering how long it would take before they add one LHD.

I can only imagine these boards if the Canucks had had all of Tanev, Myers and Stecher expiring and hadn't signed or acquired anyone until today...

This place was already melting down one day into free agency....

• Haha 2

$3.7M would have been pretty solid pre-COVID. But in this market, seems pretty high.

I would take any of Ryan Graves, Dylan Demelo, Kevin Shattenkirk, Tyson Barrie, Dylan Demelo, or Joel Edmundson over him - by quite a fair margin - and Grzelcyk got more than any of them.

30 minutes ago, D-Money said:

$3.7M would have been pretty solid pre-COVID. But in this market, seems pretty high.

I would take any of Ryan Graves, Dylan Demelo, Kevin Shattenkirk, Tyson Barrie, Dylan Demelo, or Joel Edmundson over him - by quite a fair margin - and Grzelcyk got more than any of them.

Doubt they had much of a choice given how Krug and probably Chara are both gone.  Their LD looks pretty bare now so probably had to pay him?

Anybody else have a feeling that Bruins might just take a pass on the season? 

Marchand and Pasternak are out for a while to start the year... lots of question marks there. 

7 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Marchand and Pasternak are out for a while to start the year... lots of question marks there. 

Honestly, they strike me as a team not to rule out surprising everybody. Pittsburgh did that when they had both Crosby and Malkin out, yet they still were one of the top teams in the league without them. Boston's a team I view as being able to do the same.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Honestly, they strike me as a team not to rule out surprising everybody. Pittsburgh did that when they had both Crosby and Malkin out, yet they still were one of the top teams in the league without them. Boston's a team I view as being able to do the same.

I don't think people realize how important Chara was and is to that team.  Even at his age, he is a real presence on that blue line, not to mention his leadership in the dressing room.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't think people realize how important Chara was and is to that team.  Even at his age, he is a real presence on that blue line, not to mention his leadership in the dressing room.

That doesn't change what I'm saying here. Remember that I'm also comparing to when Pittsburgh didn't have Crosby or Malkin. I'm also saying they could surprise, which implies people aren't thinking they will because of "x" reason, in your case, Chara.

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Just as Tryamkin will be for Vancouver.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

54 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It wouldn't be a bad year to retool. Get some assets for Rask & Krejci at the deadline, and reset healthy.

That said, Bergeron and Marchand aren't getting any younger. They'll probably try to go for it every year, till they can't.

More than I would have paid....by a margin, particularly seeing guys like Stecher sign as low as he did...

But Boston, was sitting with more than 10 million cap (and only DeBrusk as an RFA)....I guess Gryzelcyk wasn't feeling like giving leverage.

Interesting that they paid that much considering the amount of leverage that may remain in the market...? 

I guess they would know - what is available/optainable and what they were willing to spend and this appears to makes sense to them....

I think it makes sense to have jumped on the Schmidt deal if this is an indication of market value...

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I don't know if that's really an option for them with Bergeron and Krejci getting older. Marchand's 33 next year, decline is likely imminent for him too.

4 hours ago, Caboose said:

This looks like a pretty good deal. Grzelcyk is a hell of a decent defenseman.

So he's not quite good enough to be a good defenceman, in your opinion? Why did you include decent if you put hell before it?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, D-Money said:

Putting DeMelo in there twice eh?

Looks like all the praise I've given him has sunk into you at a subconscious level :ph34r:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1