The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck AHL team this season?

Rate this topic

With the border closed what will the Canucks do with their AHL team?  I’ve heard that they are looking at loaning players out to other teams.  I’m not sure how that works since those teams would have to be in Canada if the players can be called up to the Canucks.

I believe a solution would be to move the team up here on a temporary basis and play out of Rogers Arena or Abbotsford.  Put the games on a local tv station.  At least the advertising would help with players salaries.  Maybe eventually socially distanced fans?  I’d enjoy watching future Canucks play on TV.  

Thoughts?

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

7 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

With the border closed what will the Canucks do with their AHL team?  I’ve heard that they are looking at loaning players out to other teams.  I’m not sure how that works since those teams would have to be in Canada if the players can be called up to the Canucks.

I believe a solution would be to move the team up here on a temporary basis and play out of Rogers Arena or Abbotsford.  Put the games on a local tv station.  At least the advertising would help with players salaries.  Maybe eventually socially distanced fans?  I’d enjoy watching future Canucks play on TV.  

Thoughts?

Then you have the problem of the team needing to cross the border to play teams in the USA. Are you suggesting they only play home games? I feel like it would be worse to move the whole team rather than just a few guys crossing the border when needed... I also assume Canucks could just carry a full 23 man roster and maybe even the NHL would let them carry more on a temporary basis (25 players) avoiding the need for cross border travel. However the idea of moving the ENTIRE team here is actually way worse. Teams will be crossing the border regardless. It's not like NBA or MLB where there is only one Canadian team that they can just have stay in the USA during the season. There are multiple teams in both countries in both the NHL and AHL.

Edited by Baer.

6 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Then you have the problem of the team needing to cross the border to play teams in the USA. Are you suggesting they only play home games? I feel like it would be worse to move the whole team rather than just a few guys crossing the border when needed... I also assume Canucks could just carry a full 23 man roster and maybe even the NHL would let them carry more on a temporary basis (25 players) avoiding the need for cross border travel. However the idea of moving the ENTIRE team here is actually way worse. Teams will be crossing the border regardless. It's not like NBA or MLB where there is only one Canadian team that they can just have stay in the USA during the season. There are multiple teams in both countries in both the NHL and AHL.

If an all Canadian division happens as has been rumoured, moving the AHL squad north of the border makes sense doesn’t it?

3 minutes ago, Wash said:

If an all Canadian division happens as has been rumoured, moving the AHL squad north of the border makes sense doesn’t it?

Well not really because they will have to move back and forth over the border anyways whether they are in USA or Canada

Because most of the teams are in the USA, it would mean a Canadian based team would have to cross the border MORE. In reality the Canucks only need a handful of players off of utica, so it would be much simpler to just have one guy crossing alone, than having to relocate an entire team. If you want to eliminate as many border crossings as possible, you'd actually be better off moving all Canadian AHL teams to the USA.

Edited by Baer.

1 hour ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Thoughts?

Its highly doubtful that the AHL will even play next season.

One of the ideas I’ve heard being bounced around is that all NHL teams keep some form of a “B” team with them and that those teams play against each other before the main event. So, if we’re in Calgary, out B plays their B in the morning. 

Since it’s doubtful that teams will be able to have a full team available, the B team might be no more than 12 or 13 guys playing a 2 x 20 minute game or maybe 3, 10 minute periods. 

I’m sure there are lots of models bouncing around and being explored, we’re deep into invention mode for the next season.

• Like 1

Probably best way to run season is to run a series of tournaments in bubbles. Can bring teams into Canada and quarantine for 2 weeks and then have them run through a couple of tournaments and then head back over the border. 
Frankly though if I was the PA I would be pushing for the entire season to be played in Canada for the safety of the players.

Players likely won’t be in arenas this year anyway. 
The AHL is a tough question. Really does make sense to just have the teams within their parent cities to minimize travel and would keep coaching staffs in closer contact. 

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Probably best way to run season is to run a series of tournaments in bubbles. Can bring teams into Canada and quarantine for 2 weeks and then have them run through a couple of tournaments and then head back over the border. 
Frankly though if I was the PA I would be pushing for the entire season to be played in Canada for the safety of the players.

Players likely won’t be in arenas this year anyway. 
The AHL is a tough question. Really does make sense to just have the teams within their parent cities to minimize travel and would keep coaching staffs in closer contact. 

I suspect the AHL is an even more gate driven league than the NHL.  Doubt there’ll be owners willing to fit the bill for such an expenditure (especially with some cheap owners like the owner of the Sens).  Reason why I really wonder if there’ll even be a season for them.

27 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

One of the ideas I’ve heard being bounced around is that all NHL teams keep some form of a “B” team with them and that those teams play against each other before the main event. So, if we’re in Calgary, out B plays their B in the morning. 

Since it’s doubtful that teams will be able to have a full team available, the B team might be no more than 12 or 13 guys playing a 2 x 20 minute game or maybe 3, 10 minute periods. 

I’m sure there are lots of models bouncing around and being explored, we’re deep into invention mode for the next season.

I like this idea.  Would be great development for the young squad and would give our top coaches lots of access. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

One of the ideas I’ve heard being bounced around is that all NHL teams keep some form of a “B” team with them and that those teams play against each other before the main event. So, if we’re in Calgary, out B plays their B in the morning. 

Thanks. I was wondering if anybody had been considering that. Kind of a Black Aces league.

I'd watch them.

2 hours ago, dm_ranger said:

I like this idea.  Would be great development for the young squad and would give our top coaches lots of access. 

This is what I think as well, would allow Ian Clark to have lots of time with DiPietro etc. I'm assuming that we'd still have Cull here, to coach them for games, and training staff, but, we could mix the rookies in freely at times with our main practices and give them the benefit of practicing with a higher level of competition and players.

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I suspect the AHL is an even more gate driven league than the NHL.  Doubt there’ll be owners willing to fit the bill for such an expenditure (especially with some cheap owners like the owner of the Sens).  Reason why I really wonder if there’ll even be a season for them.

They probably have a couple of options. One being a practice roster like football. That is where the B team idea came from, having a Smaller B team that would play games. 
They could move to shared AHL teams so that the owners can at least split the expenses. 
But yes, the AHL is a primarily gated driven league. 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

Thanks. I was wondering if anybody had been considering that. Kind of a Black Aces league.

I'd watch them.

Would be interesting. Even though they would likely be playing shorter games to account for smaller team size, games should be higher intensity as they would involve each teams best prospects and less fillers as we normally see in the minors.

I think an AHL Canadian Division is likely to be formed.

Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal already have Canadian AHL teams. (Manitoba Moose, Toronto Marlies, Belleville Senators, and Laval Rocket). Only Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton would need to find temporary homes from there AHL teams. Abbotsford was home to an AHL team once upon a time ago, so Vancouver temporarily moving its AHL team to Abby makes a ton of sense.

And I'm sure Edmonton and Calgary can finding temporary Canadian homes too. Kelowna, Saskatoon/Regina could be options for the year.

8 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Thoughts?

the tv revenue idea is a good one, some people would watch. TSN would likely pick it up here, not sure about the US. 

Logistically tho it would make more sense to just move the 4 Canadian teams to the US and maybe let the NHL teams keep an expanded roster.. maybe 27 or 28 guys so that there's isn't a major recall problem given the need to quarantine if someone has to be called up from the US.

But you never know, the idea of an AHL team playing prior to the Canadian ones is fine too, no teams need to cross the border until the playoffs anyway.