The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Canucks and Red Wings can help each other out

27 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Fair enough,

Take Ferland out of the equation then and keep him.

To Detroit:  Our two year “bad contract” deals:  Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel.  ++plus sweetener 

To Vancouver:  Bad one year contracts:  Staal, Helm, and one of Glendenning or Fippula.  

What sweeter(s) would make this worthwhile from Detroit’s standpoint by being on the books for two years of bad contracts instead of one? Because let’s face it - the wings won’t be a competitive team this coming season or the season after.

I don't think Roussel and Beagle are the problem that other fans seem to think that they are. All things being equal and if the cap was still rising, they offer reasonable value. Beagle is good in our zone and on penalty killing and is a total fitness freak which will hopefully rub off on our younger players. Roussel adds an edge to our game, we needed more agitation, have been missing it for awhile.

Eriksson will either show up and earn a spot, or will be sent to Utica for the season, which for 1 million in actual pay, I think he will refuse to report, at least that's what I'm hoping for. If he refuses to report, it gives Canucks grounds to terminate his contract.

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't think Roussel and Beagle are the problem that other fans seem to think that they are. All things being equal and if the cap was still rising, they offer reasonable value. Beagle is good in our zone and on penalty killing and is a total fitness freak which will hopefully rub off on our younger players. Roussel adds an edge to our game, we needed more agitation, have been missing it for awhile.

Eriksson will either show up and earn a spot, or will be sent to Utica for the season, which for 1 million in actual pay, I think he will refuse to report, at least that's what I'm hoping for. If he refuses to report, it gives Canucks grounds to terminate his contract.

It’s not the value of Roussel, Beagle, or Eriksson that I’m worried about.  They are all decent 4th line calibre NHL players (albeit, overpaid).  

My only concern are the long term liabilities.

When Benning signed Beagle and Roussel, I don’t think he anticipated guys like Pettersson and Hughes becoming so good so quickly.   Hence, the signings and term.  

Benning and management probably do have a short term and long term cap strategy that will allow us to re-up Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko when the time comes, but I’m not seeing it right now.

My hope is that the Canucks can give the Wings are two year “bad” contracts (Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel), while Detroit can give us three of their one year’s (3 out of Helm, Glendenning, Filppula, and Staal).  We give Detroit a sweetener for their troubles, and also keep Ferland.

To Detroit:  Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, + sweetener

To Vancouver:  Helm, Filppula, Staal

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Leivo

Ferland-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Helm-MacEwen

Filppula

Edler-Schmidt 

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-Benn

Staal

Demko

Holtby

13 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

It’s not the value of Roussel, Beagle, or Eriksson that I’m worried about.  They are all decent 4th line calibre NHL players (albeit, overpaid).  

My only concern are the long term liabilities.

When Benning signed Beagle and Roussel, I don’t think he anticipated guys like Pettersson and Hughes becoming so good so quickly.   Hence, the signings and term.  

Benning and management probably do have a short term and long term cap strategy that will allow us to re-up Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko when the time comes, but I’m not seeing it right now.

My hope is that the Canucks can give the Wings are two year “bad” contracts (Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel), while Detroit can give us three of their one year’s (3 out of Helm, Glendenning, Filppula, and Staal).  We give Detroit a sweetener for their troubles, and also keep Ferland.

To Detroit:  Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, + sweetener

To Vancouver:  Helm, Filppula, Staal

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Leivo

Ferland-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Helm-MacEwen

Filppula

Edler-Schmidt 

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-Benn

Staal

Demko

Holtby

He absolutely anticipated that and has stated clearly in interviews in the last 2 weeks that he knows that he needs to keep money for them, and that he's completely comfortable with the space that he has.

Considering the market conditions with a flat cap and the fact that cap will likely stay where it is for at least one more season after this one, expect Hughes and Pettersson to sign bridge deals, likely around the 7.5 - 8 million for 2 years. They will likely want a shot a much larger deals and they know that its going to be tough to get that until fans are able to return to the buildings, which could easily be another 18 months.

You're overthinking this, we have a number of guys dropping off after next season, we're currently sitting at 30 million in space for next off season, and that's not including the fact that we will likely lose someone like Holtby to Seattle.

The next few seasons, we will have a number of guys moving into the lineup, who are still on ELC's. We have a lot more room than people think we do. People need to stop panicking and just relax.

None of us have access to the data that Benning has for negotiation of contracts. They now get more than 100 data points per second on every guy on the ice.

• Cheers 1

More realistically, a small trade might work.

Eriksson + Rafferty for 3rd round pick.

Detroit get a good young defender who could probably play now, we've got lots of young defencemen (Juolevi, Chatfield, Rathbone), all of whom are going to struggle to get a look at once.

Take that cap, sign Vatanen or Fantenberg plus Leivo and Virtanen and we're good to go.

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Leivo

Gaudette - Sutter - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Hawryluk

Roussel

MacKewan

Ferland (assuming injured pretty quickly)

Lind/Baertschi etc.

Hughes - Schmidt

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Vatanen

Benn

Rathbone

Chatfield

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

More realistically, a small trade might work.

Eriksson + Rafferty for 3rd round pick.

Detroit get a good young defender who could probably play now, we've got lots of young defencemen (Juolevi, Chatfield, Rathbone), all of whom are going to struggle to get a look at once.

Take that cap, sign Vatanen or Fantenberg plus Leivo and Virtanen and we're good to go.

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Leivo

Gaudette - Sutter - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Hawryluk

Roussel

MacKewan

Ferland (assuming injured pretty quickly)

Lind/Baertschi etc.

Hughes - Schmidt

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Vatanen

Benn

Rathbone

Chatfield

rafferty, might get us a 3rd round pick.  adding le to the deal is funny though

14 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

rafferty, might get us a 3rd round pick.  adding le to the deal is funny though

Rafferty is really just the sweetener to move LE, even if it just means LE + Rafferty for a 6th rounder. Just trying to off load the big contract and give something back to Detroit to thank them...

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Rafferty is really just the sweetener to move LE, even if it just means LE + Rafferty for a 6th rounder. Just trying to off load the big contract and give something back to Detroit to thank them...

le has a m-ntc no reason to waive it. plus they still  dont make that trade

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

NYR sent them a 2nd round pick to take 1 year of Staal.  Detroit are willing to give up cap space but are looking for futures in return - they are still rebuilding and are not looking to give them up. The hope is also that Staal can be moved at the TDL for an additional return besides the 2nd round pick they already got.

Here you are expecting them to give up the pick + take on Eriksson for 2 years.   Seems unlikely given the return they were able to get for taking Staal.  Btw teams were asking for a 1st and 2nd to retain 3.5M for 2 years for Vegas.

Edited by mll

On 10/19/2020 at 12:44 AM, Alain Vigneault said:

Any sweetener is going to be super heavy.

Consider that Marc Staal (1x5.75M) was dumped with a 2nd for future considerations.  We're asking them to take on multiple contracts with multiple years left over which is way heavier dump for Detroit to take on.  They're better off just rolling with their own guys and letting them expire or trading them for assets if they can.  We're obviously better off keeping our picks and making do with our situation.

Not to mention Staal can still play. 

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not to mention Staal can still play. 

so can LE to some here...I say get rid of that contract this off season to free up some flexibility to make other moves through a trade with Tampa or a couple flat cap FA signings