The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike “Doc” Emrick announces retirement

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

There are exceptions, but most US commentators don't know how to call a decent game. Shrill voices, overly excited as if they're trying to sell some marginal product, having just returned from a 3 day, biblical Am-way convention.

Then the too much cola-commentators gotta chime in with ludicrous hyperbole, replete with lousy, predictable references & punch lines, as they all revert to chuckling HS guy-banter.

But yeah, exceptions..Brendan Burke for example, is what I'd call one of the better young voices calling a game in style. Now he does the NYI regional-gig.

This Emrick guy I found rather irritating..but I may have mixed his call with 4 or 5 other nasally, hyperventilating carnival barkers from down there.

Calling a game properly is a fine art. Jim Robson should've been nominated Professor, at some specialized college course that all hopefuls(esp US ones!) are forced to attend.

Oh yeah..happy retirement, blah x3

i'm with you on that.  his use of baseball references during his hockey broadcasts is just weird , or a little to muricin for me I found this on his Wikipedia site . he thinks of himself as the guide or go to announcer  

from wiki

Emrick is a founding member, and still president, of the NHL Pronunciation Guide, which is used as a guide for all NHL broadcasters for some of hockey's most difficult names

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, chon derry said:

i'm with you on that.  his use of baseball references during his hockey broadcasts is just weird , or a little to muricin for me I found this on his Wikipedia site . he thinks of himself as the guide or go to announcer  

from wiki

Emrick is a founding member, and still president, of the NHL Pronunciation Guide, which is used as a guide for all NHL broadcasters for some of hockey's most difficult names

Oh Lordy..what will we DO without him?! :^)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Thank god, probably one of the  most overrated announcers in the history of sports. Dude was absolutely horrible 

Especially in the last two years or so. I'm sure it's not his fault, though, as he's getting up there in age. I speculate he's becoming slightly senile, based off some of his most recent ramblings when calling games...

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs