The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jayce Hawryluk

17 minutes ago, The Lock said:

https://www.liveabout.com/nhl-salary-arbitration-explained-2778981

"The arbitrator must make a decision within 48 hours of the hearing. When the decision is announced, the team has the right to decline or walk away from the award. If the team exercises this right, the player can declare himself an unrestricted free agent."

There is talk that as we get closer to the beginning of the season, there may be a lot of free agents without contracts and there will be tremendous pressure for them to sign very low contracts when the alternative is no contract and the possibility of sitting out for a season.  

If the Canucks walk on an arbitration settlement they can't fit under the cap (which is likely), Virtanen could be looking at a contract of less than $1M as a free agent on the open market.  This puts tremendous pressure on Jake to agree to a contract that is much lower than expected before he gets to arbitration. 

Going too low could really sour the relationship between Virtanen and the Canucks but a deal of less than $2M is possible imo. 

10 minutes ago, Wanless said:
  • Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 1 year and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the awarded salary, making the player a UFA [CBA 12.10(a)]
  • Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 2 years and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the second (2nd) year of the awarded salary, making the player a UFA at the end of year 1 [CBA 12.10(b)]

What I was getting at is Virtanen won't make over the 4.5 mil threshold for the Canucks to be able to walk away from

The above statement was copy and pasted from capfriendly

@Noseforthenet

There is nothing in that statement that says the club cannot walk away from the awarded salary if less.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Wanless said:
  • Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 1 year and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the awarded salary, making the player a UFA [CBA 12.10(a)]
  • Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 2 years and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the second (2nd) year of the awarded salary, making the player a UFA at the end of year 1 [CBA 12.10(b)]

What I was getting at is Virtanen won't make over the 4.5 mil threshold for the Canucks to be able to walk away from

The above statement was copy and pasted from capfriendly

@Noseforthenet

They must have changed that in the last CBA then.

5 hours ago, Robert Long said:

depends on how big the roster is allowed to be this year, I'd be surprised if it isn't allowed to go over 23 again. 

Ya, I have assumed a taxi squad travelling with the team.  You can’t be flying minor league guys in and out.

It could save our bacon a little as we possibly run with a 20 man roster with extra guys buried unless we actually get an injury.

5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

With the Gaudette signing, wouldn't be surprised if he signed at like 2.15 million or something.

No there are several players already signed with less point then Jake for cap hits between 2.5 and 2.9 million..Just look at McCann 2.9 X 2 yrs ??

There are several player already signed so Jake will never leave a million dollars on table....I think  2.5 mil would be discount for us now...

13 minutes ago, The Lock said:

There is nothing in that statement that says the club cannot walk away from the awarded salary if less.

I looked at this one statement from Cap Friendly. Although you're right, why put a dollar amount on the rule then. It makes no sense. It DID say clubs can not walk away from club elected arbitration. I feel like this was a change between this CBA and the last, which really sucks. Nobody is gonna want to give up anything for Virtanen with the amount of cap. We might have gotten something off Boston at one point. They have a decent amount of cap to play with, but right now, it's just kind of a crap situation. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Read it again.

It says when a team is able to walk away

On one year awards if the deal is more than 4.5 mil the team can walk away

On two year awards and the deal is over 4.5 the team is allowed to overrule and sign just a one year deal but after that the player is a UFA

This is also why there is a second window for buyouts because the player has to be signed if under 4.5 so if there isn't enough room they can buy out another player to make room.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, wildcam said:

No there are several players already signed with less point then Jake for cap hits between 2.5 and 2.9 million..Just look at McCann 2.9 X 2 yrs ??

There are several player already signed so Jake will never leave a million dollars on table....I think  2.5 mil would be discount for us now...

Mangiapane just signed for 2 years at 2.45 million and they are quite comparable. I don't think 2.5 is a discount at all. I think that's the market for him now. I could see him doing a 1 year deal at say 2.15 and he can earn more if he proves himself.

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

McCann is a center and Jake is a winger so McCann ha a bit more value based on position.

I see Jake going for 2.8 which wouldn't be terrible.

Could be fun to watch Tyler, Jayce and Jake as a line buzzing around.

Send them out as a pest line that gets primarily neutral zone and o zone starts with about 10-12mins of ice time

1 minute ago, Wanless said:

McCann is a center and Jake is a winger so McCann ha a bit more value based on position.

I see Jake going for 2.8 which wouldn't be terrible.

Could be fun to watch Tyler, Jayce and Jake as a line buzzing around.

Send them out as a pest line that gets primarily neutral zone and o zone starts with about 10-12mins of ice time

I disagree Jake had 18 goals McCann had 13, if you check McCann has played a lot on wing in last 2 yrs..? Jake is power forward and there are several other players signed for similar cap hits...

Jake will not take less then 2.5 million? Maybe Vancouver will not want to pay that and will trade him?? But no away will Jake take less then 2.5 Million..

31 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

They must have changed that in the last CBA then.

The only thing that changes is the specific dollar amount.

When "walk away rights" were introduced in 1995, the amount was $550,000.

from the 1995 agreement:

12.6. Walk-Away Rights.

(a) If a Club has elected to arbitrate a one year contract,
and the award issued is for $550,000 or more per annum, then the
Club may, within 72 hours after the award of the Arbitrator is
issued (or if a Club has any other player still eligible for
salary arbitration at that time and for whom a decision has not
been rendered by an Arbitrator at that time, and the Club still
has a walk-away right available to it in such League Year
pursuant to paragraph (d) below, 72 hours after the award of the
Arbitrator for such other player is issued), notify the player,
the NHLPA and the NHL in writing that it does not intend to
tender to the player a Player Contract based on the award as
determined by the Arbitrator. Upon receipt of that notice, the
player shall automatically be deemed to be an Unrestricted Free
Agent, subject to the provisions of paragraphs (c) and (d) below.

and

(e) The dollar amount of $550,000 set forth in each of
paragraphs (a) and (b) above, shall be increased on an annual
basis at the same percentage rate of increase as the Average
League Salary, with the commencement of the 1996/97 League Year
being the first year such increase shall take effect. By way of
example, if the Average League Salary on June 30, 1996 has
increased by 10% from the Average League Salary on June 30, 1995,
then the figure of $550,000 stated in paragraphs (a) and (b)
above, shall be increased by 10% on June 30, 1996, and the
ability of a Club to walk-away from an arbitration award rendered
after June 30, 1996, shall be adjusted accordingly. For each
League Year thereafter, a similar comparison and adjustment shall
be made.

The walk away number "shall be increased on an annual basis at the same percentage rate of increase as the Average League Salary."

Today, that number is up to $4,538,958.

Goes to show just how much average salary has increased since 1995.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 3

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

65 hits in 26 games last season. 101 in 42 the year before. To put it into perspective, he would've be 10th on our team in hits in just 26 games so if he had kept this pace for the full season, he would be in our top 2 or 3 in hits if not tops. Sounds like he's another Motte with a relentless motor and he most recently had 7 points in 11 games with Ottawa.

I see him being a Roussel replacement as the agitator and if he can carve out a center career, then even better for us.

He thinks and plays like a centre which is always good.  I think hes going to surprise this fanbase and become a regular.  The more i think about it, its looking like JB has a plan to offload LE.

7 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Would rather it was bigger and legitimately tougher to respond for momentum changes, like how Vegas would come and mandle QH and co. to regain momentum. 

A 5’11 studded 4th line is NOT my preference lol. 

Did you miss that MacEwen is on that line? Kid is a beast at 6'3" 205lb, has hands and can fight.

Screen shot 2020-10-19 at 7.39.39 PM.png

23 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The only thing that changes is the specific dollar amount.

When "walk away rights" were introduced in 1995, the amount was $550,000.

from the 1995 agreement:

Hide contents

12.6. Walk-Away Rights.

(a) If a Club has elected to arbitrate a one year contract,
and the award issued is for $550,000 or more per annum, then the
Club may, within 72 hours after the award of the Arbitrator is
issued (or if a Club has any other player still eligible for
salary arbitration at that time and for whom a decision has not
been rendered by an Arbitrator at that time, and the Club still
has a walk-away right available to it in such League Year
pursuant to paragraph (d) below, 72 hours after the award of the
Arbitrator for such other player is issued), notify the player,
the NHLPA and the NHL in writing that it does not intend to
tender to the player a Player Contract based on the award as
determined by the Arbitrator. Upon receipt of that notice, the
player shall automatically be deemed to be an Unrestricted Free
Agent, subject to the provisions of paragraphs (c) and (d) below.

and

(e) The dollar amount of $550,000 set forth in each of
paragraphs (a) and (b) above, shall be increased on an annual
basis at the same percentage rate of increase as the Average
League Salary, with the commencement of the 1996/97 League Year
being the first year such increase shall take effect. By way of
example, if the Average League Salary on June 30, 1996 has
increased by 10% from the Average League Salary on June 30, 1995,
then the figure of $550,000 stated in paragraphs (a) and (b)
above, shall be increased by 10% on June 30, 1996, and the
ability of a Club to walk-away from an arbitration award rendered
after June 30, 1996, shall be adjusted accordingly. For each
League Year thereafter, a similar comparison and adjustment shall
be made.

The walk away number "shall be increased on an annual basis at the same percentage rate of increase as the Average League Salary."

Today, that number is up to $4,538,958.

Goes to show just how much average salary has increased since 1995.

This is exactly what I mean. I didn't remember the walk away being so high. That amount is pretty high and I hope they revisit that in the next CBA. Some young players are much better coming out of the minors than they used to be in '95 and teams are locking them up to long term deals quicker. Maybe if point totals were factored into this, we could be looking at fairer cap numbers. Or just making it so teams can walk away at any number.

7 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

This is exactly what I mean. I didn't remember the walk away being so high. That amount is pretty high and I hope they revisit that in the next CBA. Some young players are much better coming out of the minors than they used to be in '95 and teams are locking them up to long term deals quicker. Maybe if point totals were factored into this, we could be looking at fairer cap numbers. Or just making it so teams can walk away at any number.

Yeah, the amount has pretty much doubled with each lockout/agreement. I believe it was around $2.5M in 2013 and somewhere around $1M in 2005.