The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jayce Hawryluk

27 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

65 hits in 26 games last season. 101 in 42 the year before. To put it into perspective, he would've be 10th on our team in hits in just 26 games so if he had kept this pace for the full season, he would be in our top 2 or 3 in hits if not tops. Sounds like he's another Motte with a relentless motor and he most recently had 7 points in 11 games with Ottawa.

I see him being a Roussel replacement as the agitator and if he can carve out a center career, then even better for us.

200.gif

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I like the signing 

But please temper your expectations everyone

With news today of Gaudette signing and Ferkie skating(stiffy) just shows hawryluk is utica bound. 

No, just stop. Hawryluk is not a #3 c.

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Gaudette 

Ferkie Sutter Virtanen 

Motte Beagle Macewan 

Roussel 

Eriksson Baertschi Hawryluk

I think Riussel has played his last game in blue and green

7 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I like this signing!! Very feisty little guy who can chip in a few goals.... kinda reminds me of young Cooker! He and big Zack can rotate for the 4th line RW spot. 

So... looks like Leivo won't be returning... and I'm anxious about Ferland... I really don't want him to return if not at 100%... we can use his cap space to sigh Hoffman!! 

I wouldn't say that's a forgone conclusion. We could still see a Sutter buyout or trade, Virtanen packaged and sign Leivo.

There's still lots of moves to be made IMO.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, luckylager said:

I like the player, the contract is great too, but now JB's gotta unload two of Sutter, Beagle, Rooster or Eriksson. Every GM knows he's gotta dump salary and make roster space, and will bend him over in any trade scenario.

Hope it works out.

Buy out Sutter and send LE to Utica IF he doesn't win a spot in the roster... Which he won't.

4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I like the player, the contract is great too, but now JB's gotta unload two of Sutter, Beagle, Rooster or Eriksson. Every GM knows he's gotta dump salary and make roster space, and will bend him over in any trade scenario.

Hope it works out.

Just Loui and Baer need to be dropped to Utica and we've got a team under the cap, with about 500k or so left over depending on Jakes extension. Unless there's a trade it means a bottom pair of Juolevi-Benn but that might be serviceable. 

Edited by Robert Long

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

it's got nothing to do with learning.  The young core is starting to emerge as leaders and don't need the veteran leadership from the bottom 6 as much as they did 2-3 years ago when most of the bottom 6 vets were signed..........they were absolutely needed then

Subjective. 

It will never be known if Ruutu and the other PTOs etc would have provided that for cheap. Plenty of AHL vets can win draws and lead kids too. 

I don’t like hearing how there was only one option and one option that was so expensive that it’s still expensive today.

Obviously, like totally obviously, there were other options that might have yielded at least similar results to fend off a “losing culture” while providing professionalism and quality leadership with production similar to what those players have produced to date. 

I just don’t think the conviction behind the claim is warranted. Plenty will disagree and since there is no alternative (option) ending, there’s nothing else to measure or judge except the result, so there’s nothing to argue, except the conviction these opinions are claimed with. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah. I get the sense that as well. Roussel costs more than Hylerchawk (sorry. On my mobile. Can’t see the name). The kid that the Canucks just signed only costs 800k at the NHL level. If he does what Roussel can do then he’s already more effective than Roussel but far cheaper. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Provost said:

16 nhl forwards under contract?

I wonder who hits the minors.

Let training camp sort that out (and injuries).  I like having more bodies than jobs, it creates a healthy competitive environment.  I think that it is unhealthy if people are penciled in before they earn their jobs, and in this business each player should have to earn their job all over again each and every year.  I like this signing.  He'll either make the team or he'll be pushing someone else to put in a bigger effort in order to make the team (not naming anybody).  And either way he won't hurt us with an oversized cap hit.  Go Canucks Go!

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Probably. And good.
Enough of the Burrows-esque circus antics here, please! 

No more. There’s agitating and then there’s biting and all that stuff. Gross. 

If he is done here, then this can be called a terrible signing in the first place. 

JB will now have to pay to trade that contract because like all of us, the rest of the GMs know he’s a liability and an expensive one at that. 

It’s not too early to call this one, IMO.

This was not a (another) good move/signing by JB. 

Edit

Love the confused faces. 
Burrows was a clown, deal with it. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Wat 5

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Serviceable, indeed. I agree. 

There is nothing wrong with Benn as a bottom pairing Dman who shares duty with auditioning prospects.

He is a fantastic depth Dman and played a big role in getting the team past the Stanley Cup Champions this year. 

I was happy when JB signed him and am still happy to have him as an aging placeholder. Benn is a terrific example and guy in the room for any Canuck or prospect too. 

Benn doesn’t deserve any negative attention and has earned his money here, as integrity is an expensive commodity. I hope to never read any crap written about Benn on here, but I’m sure I will. 

I recall most people being happy about getting him for 2x2. He's a useful guy to be "stuck" with if thats how things go.

If Jim could dump Baer for a b-prospect or mid-round pick to Detroit, e.g. that would be great but I'm not holding my breath. Once Jake is extended this might be the lineup. 

• Cheers 1

Glad they got this player signed.

Not going to repeat the points made in the rumours thread regarding him....

A good fit - a talented young guy that's hard to play against - and a natural center who could potentially develop into an NHL center - and in the meantime, perhaps provide a natural center's presence on the wing of a bottom six line if he earns a spot- otherwise also a good fit and need for Utica.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

45 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I will honestly say I haven't seen him enough to know for sure, but all official descriptors have called him a pain in the ass to play against. He may not be much of a fighter, but he has hit those high PIMs as well to suggest that he's doing something other than constantly hooking/tripping players.

... so, potentially an inexpensive upgrade on Rousell, like I think you also mention, elsewhere?! Agreed. 
Cheers. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MrBusdriver said:

Apparently Benning was high on him in the 2014 draft, but he didn’t drop to them. But Canucks ended up picking Demko 

Thankfully, he was taken before the 36th selection. If we drafted this guy instead of Demko, that would be a huge mistake.

Edited by ruilin96

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I wouldn't say that's a forgone conclusion. We could still see a Sutter buyout or trade, Virtanen packaged and sign Leivo.

There's still lots of moves to be made IMO.

Yup, I think they likely want Leivo back, and sounds like Vancouver's his preference as well.  Pretty cost-effective for what he brings.

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Hope it works out.

I don't they care about the return that much.  The return is the roster spot and cap space

Roussel wlil likely be the main piece

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

189lbs of approval.

Seems like I’ve been getting my roster-wish of having a physically capable team to cheer for. Thanks JB. 

I like this signing.  Abrasive with a high compete level.  Likely has a scoring touch too.  Had 106 pts in 58 games for the Wheat Kings in 2015-16.  That with 101 PIM, +59

2015-16 Brandon Wheat Kings WHL 58 47 59 106 101 59 21 7 22 29 39