The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jayce Hawryluk

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I wouldn't say that's a forgone conclusion. We could still see a Sutter buyout or trade, Virtanen packaged and sign Leivo.

There's still lots of moves to be made IMO.

virt and sutts to Devils for 2nd or 3rd.

baer waived.

ferland ltir -just can't see him returning.

can't see loui going anywhere.

suddenly nucks have more cap space.

40 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It’s been a great, errr summer... man, I just can’t get used to this hockey in the summer and October is the offseason stuff. 

I feel totally out of sorts without hockey being on and available right now. My seasons tickets to the Blazers, etc... I am in full withdrawal. 

Fall meant only a few things to me as a human - hunting, spawning salmon and hockey. All three are sucking at the same time here right now! 

Good then to so see old JB starting to build a team with more hustle. Although do agree it would be nice with a few bigger players...

On top of this its a great deal. Cheap 1 year 2 way... if it doesn’t work, so what... brings competition to the drafted players, who won’t  get the opportunities spoon fed...me like a lot. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

virt and sutts to Devils for 2nd or 3rd.

baer waived.

ferland ltir -just can't see him returning.

can't see loui going anywhere.

suddenly nucks have more cap space.

Rather target Zacha out of NJD.  Young cheap 3rd C.  Move Gaud to wing. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Rather target Zacha out of NJD.  Young cheap 3rd C.  Move Gaud to wing. 

i would too, but

i don't think virt + sutts gets zacha.

i think signing haula to a cheapy show me contract. yet another player with potential who was kicked to the curb by florida.

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Fantastic signing. 52% percentile for games above replacement, positive contribution both defensively and offensively. Not a big special teams guy but his 5-on-5 GAR was slightly ahead of Virtanen & Roussel, and miles ahead of Beagle, Motte. This is the type of signing we need to fill out our lineup - Benning was losing me a bit but between this and the Schmidt trade he is making solid, shrewd additions. 

Useless pseudo-metric - with no real relevence in relation to Motte or Beagle (who I doubt you realize/let alone adjust for their deployment) - but otherwise, I'm not going to argue with your belief that this is a good signing (just the misleading sandbag of a player like Motte thay you use to arrive at it).

This kind of signing is not one that should be played off of a player like Motte, period.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, stawns said:

it's got nothing to do with learning.  The young core is starting to emerge as leaders and don't need the veteran leadership from the bottom 6 as much as they did 2-3 years ago when most of the bottom 6 vets were signed..........they were absolutely needed then

Yep.  Different needs (and cap circumstances) for this team than the bottom-feeding, captainless one who signed Beagle and Roussel. 

• Cheers 4

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Good then to so see old JB starting to build a team with more hustle. Although do agree it would be nice with a few bigger players...

On top of this its a great deal. Cheap 1 year 2 way... if it doesn’t work, so what... brings competition to the drafted players, who won’t  get the opportunities spoon fed...me like a lot. 

?

Pretty sure one of the first things he did as GM was acquire Derek Dorsett.

Benning isn't just learning on the job - that's probably the fanbase projecting....

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

i would too, but

i don't think virt + sutts gets zacha.

i think signing haula to a cheapy show me contract. yet another player with potential who was kicked to the curb by florida.

I don't think the Canucks need to be spending assets to try and add Zacha, just my opinion though.

Haula I am not sure why or how he is a player who will need to take a " show me " contract. He has proven he carries value up and down the lineup. I suspect he will sign a more than solid deal with a club as a top nine contributor.

Vancouver as much as may have Juolevi, Rathbone or Rafferty in the lineup still needs to add an NHL piece. Koekkoek would be solid if your trying to be cheaky and snag more offensive potential. Otherwise a veteran right hander would be ideal, don't think Vatanen ( not signing for 1 million ).

I would wonder if a Connor Hobbs would be worth a signing for the AHL, still some potential there ?

2 hours ago, Robert Long said:

depends on how big the roster is allowed to be this year, I'd be surprised if it isn't allowed to go over 23 again. 

With maybe no AHL season the farm team players will be practicing around NHL team....WIl be interesting if they have 23 man roster limit?

3 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I don't think the Canucks need to be spending assets to try and add Zacha, just my opinion though.

Haula I am not sure why or how he is a player who will need to take a " show me " contract. He has proven he carries value up and down the lineup. I suspect he will sign a more than solid deal with a club as a top nine contributor.

Vancouver as much as may have Juolevi, Rathbone or Rafferty in the lineup still needs to add an NHL piece. Koekkoek would be solid if your trying to be cheaky and snag more offensive potential. Otherwise a veteran right hander would be ideal, don't think Vatanen ( not signing for 1 million ).

I would wonder if a Connor Hobbs would be worth a signing for the AHL, still some potential there ?

Jake will be signed for around 2.5 -- 2.7  million...

A few things that popped out for me from his junior career.

He was coached by Kelly McCrimmon (Vegas GM) who was a very good junior coach 

He was a brief teammate of Michael Ferland 

He won the WHL championship and Ivan Hlinka gold

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

With maybe no AHL season the farm team players will be practicing around NHL team....WIl be interesting if they have 23 man roster limit?

haven't heard a peep on how this all might work re: AHL. Teams will need to manage their rosters somehow. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1