The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jayce Hawryluk

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think people might be getting carried away believing this indicates the precursor to buying out Sutter, or presuming that he'll replace a Roussel....

I think what it indicates is that they've added a young player that is a good organizational fit - whether it's on the Canucks roster if he earns that spot, or in Utica.

It's too early to pencil him in as a bottom six center.   Same with Gaudette - it's premature to be dumping Sutter in the absence of a proven replacement.  The team still needs to integrate youth - beyond EP and Hughes - and regardless, providing them with the best opportunities to succeed remains a priority imo (ie "foundation").

Imo if Hawryluk makes the team it'll likely be as a second natural center playing wing on one of the shutdown lines.  The nice thing about this player - he's versatile enough to play wing, be hard to play against, has talent and upside as a base to build upon, and has the potential/possibility to develop into an NHL center - but regardless, he makes sense on each of those levels....

Fits organizational need - and he's a young forward.....I wanted Richardson, but I see Hawryluk as a potential longer term option, one that makes different sense.

Richardson may have enabled another move - but I'd prefer more natural center additions....

If they're going to dump anyone, it's going to be LW imo....

Look forward to seeing guys like him and MacEwen come in and push for spots.  Still hope they re-sign Leivo.

The only thing I might assume at this point - is that LE is done here!:ph34r:

LE to the minors at the very least I think. If no games there than home to do nothing. Kind of like his play here, nothing. 

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think people might be getting carried away believing this indicates the precursor to buying out Sutter, or presuming that he'll replace a Roussel....

I think what it indicates is that they've added a young player that is a good organizational fit - whether it's on the Canucks roster if he earns that spot, or in Utica.

It's too early to pencil him in as a bottom six center.   Same with Gaudette - it's premature to be dumping Sutter in the absence of a proven replacement.  The team still needs to integrate youth - beyond EP and Hughes - and regardless, providing them with the best opportunities to succeed remains a priority imo (ie "foundation").

Imo if Hawryluk makes the team it'll likely be as a second natural center playing wing on one of the shutdown lines.  The nice thing about this player - he's versatile enough to play wing, be hard to play against, has talent and upside as a base to build upon, and has the potential/possibility to develop into an NHL center - but regardless, he makes sense on each of those levels....

Fits organizational need - and he's a young forward.....I wanted Richardson, but I see Hawryluk as a potential longer term option, one that makes different sense.

Richardson may have enabled another move - but I'd prefer more natural center additions....

Look forward to seeing guys like him and MacEwen come in and push for spots.  Still hope they re-sign Leivo.

agreed

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

?

Pretty sure one of the first things he did as GM was acquire Derek Dorsett.

Benning isn't just learning on the job - that's probably the fanbase projecting....

Yes Dorsett was a beaut.... would have been magic on this roster... Felt we could have done with another Motte during last play offs. 
Though Motte and Beagle were the stand outs on the bottom two lines. 
Let me rephrase this then Good to see Old JB add more hustle to the team.... 

Benning is doing is doing a great job...

• Cheers 3

41 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Only reason I'm suggesting a Sutter buyout is due to creating enough cap space to sign Jake at what I think to be 2.5 million (although I've projected high compared to JB's RFA signings many times) and filling out a 23 man roster. It's the easiest solution not requiring a trade (even though it would be more ideal to make a trade).

2 hours ago, combover said:

7 rounds @ 6 years to fill holes present and future.
He’s a fringe nhler we have those

5’11 196. Good depth for Utica I guess. 

hope it means JB has a plan to get rid of the Sutter and his past plug signings atleast this ones cheap. 

Thought you were banned.

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Only reason I'm suggesting a Sutter buyout is due to creating enough cap space to sign Jake at what I think to be 2.5 million (although I've projected high compared to JB's RFA signings many times) and filling out a 23 man roster. It's the easiest solution not requiring a trade (even though it would be more ideal to make a trade).

They have 14 forwards signed - and a million of cap space.

They can waive both LE and Baer....replace one with a Hawryluk or other prospect - and gain a couple hundred k - and assign 1 million of that to Virtanen.

Meaning they are close to being able to sign Virtanen under the cap (have about 2.3 mllion in this scenario).

They then need to add a 7th D....So they are about a Juolevi cap hit over, perhaps 1 million if we factor Virtanen at 2.45 as opposed to 2.3....

They can go 10% over in the offseason.

They can go with a 22 player roster to start.

They may not have a healthy Ferland.

They don't need to - nor is it advisable - to buyout Sutter.  If they 'need' to get rid of cap - it needs to come in winger form (or Benn).

• Like 1

Cheap grinder but he's still young and may not have played his best hockey yet. He had a great little handful of games after the move so let's see if that continues. 

I think there's a roster spot up for grabs depending on who comes ready to training camp.

Most importantly though, this signing means JB is either going to have to move someone or let someone walk. Especially considering the fact that he wants a depth defenceman, you've got to think that a forward is on the way out.

Eriksson's clearly immovable and Sutter still rightly holds down the 3C role so I think it's Roussel for a 5th round pick to any poor team that will take him. Then sign Virtanen for 2.5-3M and Leivo for 1M and let them all fight it out in training camp for one top 6 spot and loads of bottom 6 roles.