The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jayce Hawryluk

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

They have 14 forwards signed - and a million of cap space.

They can waive both LE and Baer....replace one with a Hawryluk or other prospect - and gain a couple hundred k - and assign 1 million of that to Virtanen.

Meaning they are close to being able to sign Virtanen under the cap (have about 2.3 mllion in this scenario).

They then need to add a 7th D....So they are about a Juolevi cap hit over, perhaps 1 million if we factor Virtanen at 2.45 as opposed to 2.3....

They can go 10% over in the offseason.

They can go with a 22 player roster to start.

They may not have a healthy Ferland.

They don't need to - nor is it advisable - to buyout Sutter.  If they 'need' to get rid of cap - it needs to come in winger form (or Benn).

If they can sign Virtanen under 2.3 million, then I agree and it's not impossible given JB's RFA signings. I'm not banking on Ferland being out as all signs seem to indicate he wants to play, but I guess the question is for how long can he last. I just think it's the simplest solution, but of course it's not the only solution.

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think that will be our 4th line.  With MacEwen also drawing in.

Interesting that he’s only played 24 seconds of penalty kill time total in the NHL.

My guess is Green will wanna change that. If he can pk it would definitely give him and edge over MacEwan.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That's awesome! I don't know why Winnipeg didn't offer him a spot. Seems like a character guy. Ever get the feeling that other teams didn't really improve that much?

I mean CAL definitely improved, but did Edmonton really improve? Kinda, not really. Not buying their defence there.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Interesting that he’s only played 24 seconds of penalty kill time total in the NHL.

My guess is Green will wanna change that. If he can pk it would definitely give him and edge over MacEwan.

Yes, it's also possible that MacEwen moves up to the 3rd line, depending on what happens to Virtanen.  If we sign Virtanen and don't add another winger then I can see Virtanen moving up to play with BO and MacEwen playing with Roussel and Gaudette.  If Ferland comes back healthy then he would probably get the nod to play with BO and Virtanen stays on the 3rd line.  Sutter can be the rotational player.  Eriksson can stay home and play NHL 21 EA Sports...

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

That's awesome! I don't know why Winnipeg didn't offer him a spot. Seems like a character guy. Ever get the feeling that other teams didn't really improve that much?

I mean CAL definitely improved, but did Edmonton really improve? Kinda, not really. Not buying their defence there.

Did they on defence?  Brodie out Tanev in... Definitely in goal but I think their defence is weaker.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

I love that Benning has added two guys now, Schmidt and Hawrlyuk, who bring more edge to our lineup and are hard to play against. 

And then of course we have to two tenacious players coming up soon in Hoglander and Podkolzin. 

I love it! We really needed more grit and tenacity on our team. And by next year’s playoffs (assuming we make it) we could have four more players in our line up that are tough to play against. This makes me very excited for the future. 

Will Lockwood and Jasek will also be vying for a spot on the roster.

• Cheers 1

10 points in 26 games last year as a RIGHT WING. You guys...he's not coming here for the 4th line...he's coming in for the 3rd line right wing spot. You push those numbers over 82 games, you're looking at about 30 points. There's gonna be lots of line shuffling and I honestly don't see Virtanen on this team next season.

If Hawyrluk does go on the 4th line, Gaudette plays center and Sutter plays wing on the 3rd and they shuffle face off responsibilities.

The more I think about it, Vancouver is ready to walk away from the Virtanen contract, which is probably why no team took him on at the draft. Wait, get him for a minimal contract and it costs nothing in a trade. Vancouver doesn't have the money to pay him. We still need a defender anyways. Even if let's say Sutter DOES get bought out or maybe Jordie Benn gets dealt for a pick, you can't take on that money. It just becomes dead money. We've seen 6 seasons of Virtanen now. I just don't see it. :sadno:

• Cheers 1

I love the signing and I hope he can just bring some pop on the forecheck and add a few points to the bottom 6

i don’t think this automatically means bye bye to roussel, sutter or anyone else cause they’ve already tried to move them and obviously can’t do it 

Johnson needs to have a sweetener attached to be moved out of TB so anyone else wouldn’t be any different on the Canucks and they don’t want to do that 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

If they can sign Virtanen under 2.3 million, then I agree and it's not impossible given JB's RFA signings. I'm not banking on Ferland being out as all signs seem to indicate he wants to play, but I guess the question is for how long can he last. I just think it's the simplest solution, but of course it's not the only solution.

Can they sign him for any term at this point? 

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Can they sign him for any term at this point? 

I don't see why not. Jake could agree to any contract at this point prior to arbitration. It's only after arbitration that it's a take it or leave it situation I believe.

5 hours ago, Robert Long said:

yeah he is an interesting project, similar to Motte's development path (Motte having a bit more success tho). I like the description of him being a pain to play against. 

Listened to his zoom. Love his attitude. Got a good feeling about this guy. 

I remember he was fairly highly touted as a prospect, & he ended last year w/ 7 pts in 11 games in Ottawa. That's encouraging.

The question for me is where he plays, I don't think he choose VAN to be a healthy scratch. Maybe this means they're considering a Sutter buyout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noseforthenet said:

10 points in 26 games last year as a RIGHT WING. You guys...he's not coming here for the 4th line...he's coming in for the 3rd line right wing spot. You push those numbers over 82 games, you're looking at about 30 points. There's gonna be lots of line shuffling and I honestly don't see Virtanen on this team next season.

If Hawyrluk does go on the 4th line, Gaudette plays center and Sutter plays wing on the 3rd and they shuffle face off responsibilities.

The more I think about it, Vancouver is ready to walk away from the Virtanen contract, which is probably why no team took him on at the draft. Wait, get him for a minimal contract and it costs nothing in a trade. Vancouver doesn't have the money to pay him. We still need a defender anyways. Even if let's say Sutter DOES get bought out or maybe Jordie Benn gets dealt for a pick, you can't take on that money. It just becomes dead money. We've seen 6 seasons of Virtanen now. I just don't see it. :sadno:

Vancouver cannot walk away from a Virtanen contract.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Cheap grinder but he's still young and may not have played his best hockey yet. He had a great little handful of games after the move so let's see if that continues. 

I think there's a roster spot up for grabs depending on who comes ready to training camp.

Most importantly though, this signing means JB is either going to have to move someone or let someone walk. Especially considering the fact that he wants a depth defenceman, you've got to think that a forward is on the way out.

Eriksson's clearly immovable and Sutter still rightly holds down the 3C role so I think it's Roussel for a 5th round pick to any poor team that will take him. Then sign Virtanen for 2.5-3M and Leivo for 1M and let them all fight it out in training camp for one top 6 spot and loads of bottom 6 roles.

I think of all the overpaid bottom-6 contracts, only Roussel and to a lesser extent Baertschi are movable. I would be more inclined to move Roussel as his contract extends for another 2 easons, whereas Baertschi just has 1 more year left on his deal. I would go so far as to include a higher pick/prospect like a 2nd rounder or Lind to move Roussel, as that would open up $3M in cap space for a Top-6 forward on a short-term deal or a quality defenseman or even just open up more avenues via trade.

• Cheers 1