The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Virtanen for Roslovic

Virtanen for Roslovic 

Jake- Could flourish with a fresh start as could Roslovic.

Swapping a 24 yr old Jake for a 23 turning 24 yr old Roslovic is a lateral move but if Coaches and management has seen enough of Jake maybe they see more potential in Roslovic?

Yeah, Master Mind nailed it.

It may make sense from a Canucks POV but it's kind of pointless for Winnipeg to do.  If reports are to be believed, they're actively looking to move Laine and have entertained offers for Ehlers, so I don't think bringing in a winger is a big priority for them.

Edited by Alain Vigneault
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't think the Jets have the cap for Virtanen - or need for a RW...

Perhaps a Gaudette for Roslovic deal......although I'm not sure why Roslovic would need a fresh start? (or Gaudette....)

He was rumoured to be available or looking for a fresh start with more opportunity...but I can't recall exactly where I read that or if it was a half decent reliable source who mentioned it.

4 hours ago, Master Mind said:

The Jets are much deeper at wing than at C, especially if Little won't play.

Can't imagine they'd want to trade Roslovic unless they were getting a defenseman.

Might be moving on from Laine to address the D or C position, so would have an opening on RW going forward potentially

15 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Might be moving on from Laine to address the D or C position, so would have an opening on RW going forward potentially

If that happens, then a deal like this becomes more feasible.

However, unless they manage to address both D and C in a Laine trade (or multiple trades), I still don't think they would be targeting a winger in return.

Jake has more goals in the last 2 years than Roslovic has in his career. The hell we want him for? Jake is only like 5-6 months older. I like Roslovic, don't get me wrong. But how exactly does this make us better? They are both top 6 hopefuls, except ours is currently much better. Roslovic took 150 faceoffs in 71 games. He's not exactly filling a 3rd line center need for us since Gaudette can do that as well. Jake hits more, scores more, blocks more, has more takeaways, and fewer giveaways. The only value Roslovic has over Jake is being cheaper. But he's cheaper cause he's a lesser player.

• 2 months later...
On 10/19/2020 at 6:50 PM, Canuckster86 said:

Virtanen for Roslovic 

Jake- Could flourish with a fresh start as could Roslovic.

Swapping a 24 yr old Jake for a 23 turning 24 yr old Roslovic is a lateral move but if Coaches and management has seen enough of Jake maybe they see more potential in Roslovic?

Could be prophetic. Virt gets run out of town, this fan base hates him. And Roslovic wants a trade.

On 10/19/2020 at 11:19 PM, Canuckster86 said:

On 10/19/2020 at 8:57 PM, oldnews said:

I don't think the Jets have the cap for Virtanen - or need for a RW...

Perhaps a Gaudette for Roslovic deal......although I'm not sure why Roslovic would need a fresh start? (or Gaudette....)

A package deal? Much bigger, Roslovic and Laine for Boeser and Gaudette. If not Gaudette maybe one of the older vets with retention, Roussel or Beagle 50% retention. Sutter would be the one if he has not blocked Winnipeg as one of his no go teams.

Just not enough good to decent middle and bottom six talent, save Pearson for TDL trade

Any trade has to be revenue neutral or in favor of the Canucks

On 12/30/2020 at 7:56 PM, KirkSave said:

Thank you for speaking for all Canuck fans...could you remind me what I want for lunch today too?

Well when was the time when the media praised him for 3 months? They certainly put down for longer than that and never compare him to other higher paid vets that are not contributing to the team.

The lack of support for Virtanen in these forums also supports the leaning towards they hate having him here.

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

Well when was the time when the media praised him for 3 months? They certainly put down for longer than that and never compare him to other higher paid vets that are not contributing to the team.

The lack of support for Virtanen in these forums also supports the leaning towards they hate having him here.

Most fans could care less about media praise for our players. Remember the media knocking Petey on his size but now they bow down to all things Petey, as they should. Media is fickle. Most reporters in Van have never played any meaningful pro hockey, so despite their "insights" it's best to take their "takes" for what they are...click bait-dribble, drumming up rumours and making mountains out of mole-hills, ala the Boeser trade rumours.

Virtanen has left Canuck fans wanting more but to unequivocally state that Canuck Nation "hates having him him" is gross hyperbole. He has raw tools to be a great player for us, whether it be in the top 6 or the 3rd line. As long as he competes shift after shift, I think that is what fans desire; a consistent effort, hard on the forecheck, finishing checks and putting up points on the PP. I choose to support Jake. This is his time to put up or shut up. Nobody can seize the moment for him. It's on him and I for one am a fan of his game now and what it could develop into should he figure it out (which took JT Miller time as well). The fact Jake was training hard all off-season in Kelowna with Myers, away from the lower mainland should bode well. I think Jake will have his best camp yet and improve upon his point totals and find another level to his game that we haven't witnessed yet.

• Cheers 1

On 1/1/2021 at 7:17 PM, KirkSave said:
On 1/1/2021 at 6:06 PM, Lazurus said:

Most fans could care less about media praise for our players. Remember the media knocking Petey on his size but now they bow down to all things Petey, as they should. Media is fickle. Most reporters in Van have never played any meaningful pro hockey, so despite their "insights" it's best to take their "takes" for what they are...click bait-dribble, drumming up rumours and making mountains out of mole-hills, ala the Boeser trade rumours.

Virtanen has left Canuck fans wanting more but to unequivocally state that Canuck Nation "hates having him him" is gross hyperbole. He has raw tools to be a great player for us, whether it be in the top 6 or the 3rd line. As long as he competes shift after shift, I think that is what fans desire; a consistent effort, hard on the forecheck, finishing checks and putting up points on the PP. I choose to support Jake. This is his time to put up or shut up. Nobody can seize the moment for him. It's on him and I for one am a fan of his game now and what it could develop into should he figure it out (which took JT Miller time as well). The fact Jake was training hard all off-season in Kelowna with Myers, away from the lower mainland should bode well. I think Jake will have his best camp yet and improve upon his point totals and find another level to his game that we haven't witnessed yet.

The media leads most fans around like cattle. Every year it is "what about Jake" IMO this comes from unrealistic expectations from the Canucks, tagging him a "power forward" and a big hitter. The power forward thing was a hope by the team, he was not drafted because he hit, nor was he showing power forward attributes, he was drafted because of his skating and scoring. Once he had TWO serious shoulder injuries the hitting should have been reduced.

Now the comparison to Petey, are the media watching him with an unrealistic goals and watching to see him fail?

Media will say he isn't meeting expectations, they will say how he might be better off in a different market and fans will just follow along.

IMO just let him play, hockey is a game of mistakes and you don't learn by getting benched constantly that just undermines a player's confidence.