Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Signing] Flames sign Joakim Nordstrom

Just now, Dazzle said:

That's what I meant about these uncertainties.

But isn't it a certainty that the Canucks will be able to project Petey/Hughes next contract with quite confidence?

Hey guys. Nordstrom seems like a big deal, yeah? Must be real good if he gets this much attention.

• Haha 2

Just now, Zfetch said:

But isn't it a certainty that the Canucks will be able to project Petey/Hughes next contract with quite confidence?

It is, hence I said, any RFA uncertainties will be covered by the Canucks - my original three points. If they didn't have the cap space, the Canucks would be in trouble with regards to re-signing Pettersson and Hughes. Benning has done a good job with this regard.

What I wanna know is if Benning tried to go after this guy. Seems to be a decent pickup.

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Joakim Nordstrom is a good depth signing and a valuable depth piece for the left wing.

Believing Joakim is a center is quite dazzling and morally reprehensible.

• Haha 4

Just now, Zfetch said:

Joakim Nordstrom is a good depth signing and a valuable depth piece for the left wing.

Believing Joakim is a center is quite dazzling and morally reprehensible.

I agree with your first part. I think the second part is debatable ;)

• Confused 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

@Qwags Seriously... this is so lame.

I don't know what this is about, dazzle. Did you not see Stealth say to stay on topic?

Anyway, Nordstrom. Here are his stats for his career.

Joakim Nordstrom
Center
Born Feb 25 1992  -- Stockholm, Sweden 
Height 6.01 -- Weight 194 -- Shoots L

Selected by Chicago Blackhawks round 3 #90 overall 2010 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009-10  AIK                         Swe-1   2    0    0    0    0
2010-11  Almtuna IS                  Swe-1  12    0    1    1    4
2010-11  AIK                         SEL    11    0    1    1    0   1   0   0   0   0
2011-12  AIK                         SEL    47    3    3    6    4
2012-13  AIK                         SEL    43    5    4    9   29  --  --  --  --  --
2012-13  Rockford IceHogs            AHL    11    0    3    3   12  --  --  --  --  --
2013-14  Chicago Blackhawks          NHL    16    1    2    3    2   7   0   0   0   0
2013-14  Rockford IceHogs            AHL    58   17   16   33   21  --  --  --  --  --
2014-15  Rockford IceHogs            AHL    23    9    7   16   19  --  --  --  --  --
2014-15  Chicago Blackhawks          NHL    38    0    3    3    4   3   0   0   0   0
2015-16  Carolina Hurricanes         NHL    71   10   14   24   12  --  --  --  --  --
2015-16  Charlotte Checkers          AHL     2    1    0    1    0  --  --  --  --  --
2016-17  Carolina Hurricanes         NHL    82    7    5   12   17  --  --  --  --  --
2017-18  Carolina Hurricanes         NHL    75    2    5    7    6  --  --  --  --  --
2018-19  Boston Bruins               NHL    70    7    5   12   13  23   3   5   8   4
2019-20  Boston Bruins               NHL    48    4    3    7   17  13   0   2   2   2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         NHL Totals                        400   31   37   68   71  46   3   7  10   6

I would take Joakim over an old dog who needs to be taken out behind the shed and put down (Beagle)

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 pages for a Flames signing and only 7 pages for Gaudette re-signing!

0C26796B-4DF9-40BA-A69C-63BD687D30F6.gif

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

8 pages for a Flames signing and only 7 pages for Gaudette re-signing!

0C26796B-4DF9-40BA-A69C-63BD687D30F6.gif

Something must've happened. Nordstrom might be more valuable than we think.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

That's what I meant about these uncertainties.

@Blue Jay 22 Go back to your RGMG thread. :rolleyes:

@Master Mind You too. Don't know why you're even involved in this conversation.

Please, don't tell me which threads to read. It's an open forum, and I enjoy reading threads of player signings.

You labelled Nordstrom a C, so I corrected you, and even provided info/examples as to why you can't just base everything off what certain websites say.

I couldn't help but notice you had no rebuttal to my most recent reply to you. If you're going to tag me, you could at the very least address my points.

• Hydration 1

4 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Please, don't tell me which threads to read. It's an open forum, and I enjoy reading threads of player signings.

You labelled Nordstrom a C, so I corrected you, and even provided info/examples as to why you can't just base everything off what certain websites say.

I couldn't help but notice you had no rebuttal to my most recent reply to you. If you're going to tag me, you could at the very least address my points.

It's because I couldn't help notice that it's the same group of people from the Fantasy Group. It's obvious what's going on. Whatever I needed to say, I have said it already

Furthermore, someone saying NHL.com not being a reliable source is kind of ridiculous considering it's as official as it gets. Do not link me to future posts to this thread as I will not derail this thread any further.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

It's because I couldn't help notice that it's the same group of people from the Fantasy Group. It's obvious what's going on. Whatever I needed to say, I have said it already

Furthermore, someone saying NHL.com not being a reliable source is kind of ridiculous considering it's as official as it gets. Do not link me to future posts to this thread as I will not participate any future derailing for this thread.

That first sentence is irrelevant to the discussion, and doesn't explain why you conveniently ignored a very valid comparison in Kuznetsov in terms of position eligibility.

Here's a perfect example for anyone thinking nhl.com is 100% foolproof with position eligibility:

https://www.nhl.com/player/sean-couturier-8476461

https://www.nhl.com/player/claude-giroux-8473512

Watching the Flyers, their most common top line combinations were Giroux-Couturier-Voracek and Giroux-Couturier-Konecny

Yet look at nhl.com's player profiles -- both Giroux and Couturier are listed as C. Yes, Giroux can play C, but he has mostly been used at LW. Therefore' nhl.com is not showing the full picture here.

The exact same scenario happened to Nordstrom.

• Hydration 1

How anyone can arrive at the conclusion that Calgary will be better than Vancouver next year is quite confusing.  How does anyone even know how Demko and Holtby will play?  Demko literally destroyed Vegas all by himself and the Vegas players even admitted it.  They couldn't recover and lost against Dallas because of it.  I'm pretty sure this weighed into Benning's decision to not give Marky his 6 year deal that he wanted.  As for Holtby, he had an off year.  Prior to last year he was a top end goalie who won a Stanley Cup.  He has a much better resume than Markstrom does.  The combination of Demko and Holtby under the guidance of Ian Clark may turn out to be much better than if we kept Markstrom and traded Demko.  We will see next year but no one as of right now can conclude otherwise.

As for Calgary's defense, what's going to happen to them if Tanev gets his yearly injury?  It happens every year does it not?  And now that he is on the wrong side of 30 it may happen more frequently.  Giordano is 37.  Guys do regress as they get older.  Who's to say Giordano doesn't take a step back next year?  Nobody knows for sure but it is conceivable that his age will finally catch up to him like every other player in history.  If you are relying on a 37 year old defenceman to take you to the promised land then that is a big risk in my opinion.  I'll take Schmidt over Tanev any day of the week right now, so in my opinion the Canucks upgraded on D.

As for the forwards, Lucic is a complete waste of space, even worse than Eriksson.  Little Johnny seems to be getting smaller every year.  Monahan is a good player but I will take Horvat over him any day of the week.  Horvat actually had a better year last year than Monahan and that's with Horvat playing more of a defensive shutdown role with Petey taking up more of the offensive minutes.  If you take Calgary's top five forwards and compare them to Vancouver's top 5 forwards I would take the Canucks top 5 forwards any day of the week.

As for Nordstrom, I'll take Motte, Roussel and Hawryluk over him any day.  Yes Roussel is making $3 million and so is Beagle, but they were very useful in the playoffs and will be again next year. 

I would put my money on Vancouver having a better year than Calgary next year.  People who think we have downgraded at every position are going to be in for a big surprise.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

As for the forwards, Lucic is a complete waste of space, even worse than Eriksson.  Little Johnny seems to be getting smaller every year.  Monahan is a good player but I will take Horvat over him any day of the week.  Horvat actually had a better year last year than Monahan and that's with Horvat playing more of a defensive shutdown role with Petey taking up more of the offensive minutes.  If you take Calgary's top five forwards and compare them to Vancouver's top 5 forwards I would take the Canucks top 5 forwards any day of the week.

Even the media there has finally realized that JonnyHoggy had to be moved, so a lot will depend on what kind of return they can get, which speculatively isn't all that great.  Perhaps if they could have moved him and signed Hall as replacement, but they'll need his production to offset any regular season slippage that moving him will incur.  The alternative is to continue with the same crew that is decent in the regular season but no-shows in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

On 10/22/2020 at 4:46 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

How anyone can arrive at the conclusion that Calgary will be better than Vancouver next year is quite confusing.  How does anyone even know how Demko and Holtby will play?  Demko literally destroyed Vegas all by himself and the Vegas players even admitted it.  They couldn't recover and lost against Dallas because of it.  I'm pretty sure this weighed into Benning's decision to not give Marky his 6 year deal that he wanted.  As for Holtby, he had an off year.  Prior to last year he was a top end goalie who won a Stanley Cup.  He has a much better resume than Markstrom does.  The combination of Demko and Holtby under the guidance of Ian Clark may turn out to be much better than if we kept Markstrom and traded Demko.  We will see next year but no one as of right now can conclude otherwise.

As for Calgary's defense, what's going to happen to them if Tanev gets his yearly injury?  It happens every year does it not?  And now that he is on the wrong side of 30 it may happen more frequently.  Giordano is 37.  Guys do regress as they get older.  Who's to say Giordano doesn't take a step back next year?  Nobody knows for sure but it is conceivable that his age will finally catch up to him like every other player in history.  If you are relying on a 37 year old defenceman to take you to the promised land then that is a big risk in my opinion.  I'll take Schmidt over Tanev any day of the week right now, so in my opinion the Canucks upgraded on D.

As for Nordstrom, I'll take Motte, Roussel and Hawryluk over him any day.  Yes Roussel is making $3 million and so is Beagle, but they were very useful in the playoffs and will be again next year. 

I would put my money on Vancouver having a better year than Calgary next year.  People who think we have downgraded at every position are going to be in for a big surprise.

Markstrom > Holtby

Schmidt > Tanev but Tanev + Stetcher > Schmidt.  If we don't sign/trade for somebody else, we're going to be asking rookies from the AHL to step up and be as key as Stetcher was.  That will leave ???s

Toffoli has yet to be replaced.

Hawryluk is nice but he'll be competing with MacEwan for a 4RW spot.

For the Flames:

Markstrom >>>> Talbot

Brodie and Hamonic > Tanev but getting Valimaki back will help immensely.  Hamonic didn't even play during the playoffs.

Nordstrom a very nice addition to their bottom-six.

On paper, the Flames look better than the Canucks.  That doesn't mean things can't change but it's a fair statement to make.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2020 at 9:56 AM, Alain Vigneault said:

Markstrom > Holtby

Schmidt > Tanev but Tanev + Stetcher > Schmidt.  If we don't sign/trade for somebody else, we're going to be asking rookies from the AHL to step up and be as key as Stetcher was.  That will leave ???s

For the Flames:

Markstrom >>>> Talbot

Brodie and Hamonic > Tanev but getting Valimaki back will help immensely.  Hamonic didn't even play during the playoffs.

On paper, the Flames look better than the Canucks.  That doesn't mean things can't change but it's a fair statement to make.

Markstrom no longer has Clark, and a potentially poorer defensive team in front of him now.

You cannot simply add Stecher to Tanev to make him worth more than Schmidt.  Juolevi himself could already be better, or one of the other prospects, or even the other dman they are purportedly looking to acquire.

Toffoli was replaced with Boeser -- the inverse was the intent he was brought in for.

Hawryluk is depth, as is Nordstrom.

Flames have yet to cover their losses, let alone deal with their playoff-weak no-show roster.  Otherwise it's going to be same-same -- likely make the playoffs but be an easy out.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 3
  • Confused 1

On 10/22/2020 at 10:35 AM, Gaudette Celly said:

Markstrom no longer has Clark, and a potentially poorer defensive team in front of him now.

You cannot simply add Stecher to Tanev to make him worth more than Schmidt.  Juolevi himself could already be better, or one of the other prospects, or even the other dman they are purportedly looking to acquire.

Toffoli was replaced with Boeser -- the inverse was the intent he was brought in for.

Hawryluk is depth, as is Nordstrom.

Flames have yet to cover their losses, let alone deal with their playoff-weak no-show roster.  Otherwise it's going to be same-same -- likely make the playoffs but be an easy out.

it will be very interesting to see how a new system and players effects Marky and Tanev. Tanev should be quite interesting - does Cowtown use him as the more defensive style where he gets crushed dealing with forechecks or do they plan to keep him a little more mobile as with his time with Hughes? dunno. 

I expect Marky to do pretty well. I do think the Holty-Demko tandem to be solid, maybe not as good statistically but we'll see about the W column. 

either way this depth signing won't tilt things much. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/22/2020 at 9:56 AM, Alain Vigneault said:

Markstrom > Holtby

For the Flames:

Markstrom >>>> Talbot

You make some good points.  Markstrom straight up is better than Holtby, but you have to look at the combination of Demko and Holtby versus keeping Markstrom and then trading Demko and getting a cheap backup to Markstrom which is what most likely would have happened if we had signed Markstrom to a 6 year deal. 

In my opinion Demko is going to break out next year.  He's much further ahead in his development at 24 then Markstrom was, they both were drafted in the 2nd round with high pedigrees but Markstrom did nothing with his time in Florida and has really only played at a high level for the last 2 years, when he turned 27.  Demko who is turning 25 will get a chance to compete and most likely take up the starter's role with the Canucks this coming season.  I like Markstrom but I would never have signed him to a 6 year deal, especially when you have a budding star who is only 24 and destroyed Vegas in the playoffs all by himself waiting in the wings.

On paper, I like the Canucks better than Calgary as I prefer our top 5 forwards, I think as a combination our goaltending will be better, and on defense Calgary will have to rely on a 37 year old to play 25 minutes a night and hope and pray Tanev can stay healthy, which we all know is not going to happen.  Losing Stecher and not replacing him is probably the biggest issue with the Canucks right now, so hopefully Benning has something up his sleeve prior to the start of the season. 

As for Toffoli, he is being replaced by Boeser, as Toffoli was actually only acquired to replace Boeser after he got injured, and Toffoli didn't contribute much in the playoffs.  The Canucks were on their way to making the playoffs without Toffoli, so with a healthy Boeser I don't see it as a big loss, the only loss was of course the 2nd round pick and Madden, but Benning was gunning for the playoffs and Boeser got hurt, so he admitted he made the trade to keep his team competitive to try and push for the playoffs.  I don't think that was a bad thing.  With COVID and a flat cap it kinda ruined his plans, but every team has been hurt by this not just Vancouver.

• Hydration 1