The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jayce Hawryluk | #13 | C/RW

-AJ-

Interesting to see Hawryluk pick Leivo's pocket to set up the goal in highlight #2.  Benning basically chose to sign Hawryluk over Leivo, so it will also be interesting to compare their upcoming seasons.  I really wanted him to resign Leivo, but Hawryluk does look to have greater upside.  Being 3 years younger is nice and having the ability to play centre makes him more versatile than Leivo as well.

• Cheers 3

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2020 at 6:44 PM, -AJ- said:

He'll remain in this section until we know if he makes the full roster for next season.

I'm excited about this guy. Looks to be feisty and showed some strong offense during his short 11-game stint in Ottawa. If it continues, this is a huge steal, but even if it doesn't it's a low-risk deal. Great signing.

No, it was another steal, bigtime, can rip a wrist shot almost like Petey and Flow, but add to that terrific passing skills and a pretty good set of wheels too, he's not just 3-4th line capable but given his trojection and finishes his development with top tier linemates for a change, he could make 2nd line on most teams and sub out of 1st line of necessary, he has the calmness,wheels, and skill, just needs the finish the fine details and some experience that he didn't get in Ottawa or Florida, which is just what the dr ordered. I'd say people don't know it yet but JV better be nervous because of he screws up his shot at 2nd line again, Hoglander will take it and if Hogs can't "yet" and needs a yr in Utica to simmer to the NA style of game. In that case it'll be Hawrlucks spot to lose unless Big Mac steps it up first.. which by the way isn't a impossibility simply because I believe Mac is still in the late stages but still has yet to hit his ceiling. Honestly as odd as this is going to sound, I hope Mac hits his stride later than sooner and Seattle don't go after him, hate to lose him but at any rate, Hawrluck and Mac's development are roughly in the same place with Hawrkuck slightly ahead in his curve but it will be fun to watch how it all plays out and we can fill spots on the top 6 and they not look out of place, I don't even remember us as a franchise this deep in depth which amazes me.. honestly I never thought I'd see it.. 

• Vintage 1

On November 1, 2020 at 12:33 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Interesting to see Hawryluk pick Leivo's pocket to set up the goal in highlight #2.  Benning basically chose to sign Hawryluk over Leivo, so it will also be interesting to compare their upcoming seasons.  I really wanted him to resign Leivo, but Hawryluk does look to have greater upside.  Being 3 years younger is nice and having the ability to play centre makes him more versatile than Leivo as well.

I watched him play in WHL he plays with an edge and has some talent, real energy guy...

On 11/1/2020 at 12:33 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

All things considered I think Benning had a really good offseason. I think we're missing one top 6 forward. Our D has improved, Goaltending is debatable (no way were giving 6 mill over 6 for Marky though), depth has stayed pretty much the same for forwards. 

In : 

Schmidt 

Holtby 

Hamonic 

Hawryluk 

Prospects expected to get spots: Juolevi & Hoglander. 

Out

Marky 

Tanev 

Toffoli

Stecher 

Leivo 

Fantenberg 

Going to be an interesting season. 

Edited by KKnight

On January 4, 2021 at 9:37 PM, KKnight said:

All things considered I think Benning had a really good offseason. I think we're missing one top 6 forward. Our D has improved, Goaltending is debatable (no way were giving 6 mill over 6 for Marky though), depth has stayed pretty much the same for forwards. 

In : 

Schmidt 

Holtby 

Hamonic 

Hawryluk 

Prospects expected to get spots: Juolevi & Hoglander. 

Out

Marky 

Tanev 

Toffoli

Stecher 

Leivo 

Fantenberg 

Going to be an interesting season. 

We have a much better defence adding Schmidt and Hamonic.....Top end defence...Markstrom will be wishing he was in Vancouver....

I think Hamonic is a little better then Tanev

Schmidt ...Top  D man lead a great Vegas team in ice time...Great addition 

Two top end D men Hughes and Schmidt...

Edited by wildcam

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

We have a much better defence adding Schmidt and Hamonic.....Top end defence...Markstrom will be wishing he was in Vancouver....

I think Hamonic is a little better then Tanev

Schmidt ...Top end D man lead a great Vegas team in ice time...Great addition 

Two top end D men Hughes and Schmidt...

I would say Hamonic is better than Tanev in certain areas of the game. He is definitely a lot more physical & makes us harder to play against. What the main key is were getting a comparable player for s fraction of the price & most likely a 1 year pact. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, KKnight said:

I would say Hamonic is better than Tanev in certain areas of the game. He is definitely a lot more physical & makes us harder to play against. What the main key is were getting a comparable player for s fraction of the price & most likely a 1 year pact. 

Imo Hamonic is replacing Stecher and Schmidt replacing Tanev. Both massive upgrades while the cost is about the same combined.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Any indications as to when Hawryluk will be healthy?  It would be nice to see him in game action although that could spell the end of playing time for Gaudette. 

Not sure who would sit considering MacEwen has been a strong possession player whenever in the line-up, but I assume coaching would not scratch a guy like Roussel top play Hawryluk.

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Any indications as to when Hawryluk will be healthy?  It would be nice to see him in game action although that could spell the end of playing time for Gaudette. 

Not sure who would sit considering MacEwen has been a strong possession player whenever in the line-up, but I assume coaching would not scratch a guy like Roussel top play Hawryluk.

Not Gaudette. He is top 6.

It would mean no more Mac or Roussel

12 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I can't wait until Hawryluk gets a chance, he's probably better than zack, Gaudette and Roussell, he was a fan favorite in Florida because he gives 100% every shift, has some physical edge, and makes it hard on opponents like Motte, put up 9 points in 11 games with Ottawa last season, that was a bad move for Ottawa, he probably would have been one of their top players this season. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, RichieCanuck said:

I can't wait until Hawryluk gets a chance, he's probably better than zack, Gaudette and Roussell, he was a fan favorite in Florida because he gives 100% every shift, has some physical edge, and makes it hard on opponents like Motte, put up 9 points in 11 games with Ottawa last season, that was a bad move for Ottawa, he probably would have been one of their top players this season. 

Canucks need more of that drive in their line up. Imagine having 2 Motte’s.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 1/27/2021 at 11:04 AM, FaninMex said:

Gaudette is certainly not top six, i am finding it hard to even say bottom six, Mac and Roussell bring more to the table at this time

6 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Gaudette is certainly not top six, i am finding it hard to even say bottom six, Mac and Roussell bring more to the table at this time

I might agree with you. Gaudette has looked blah and lazy. I saw one play where he dove for the puck in front of the net and ended in a pile but not much else.

Really looking forward to seeing Jayce when he is healthy and up to speed.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I might agree with you. Gaudette has looked blah and lazy. I saw one play where he dove for the puck in front of the net and ended in a pile but not much else.

Really looking forward to seeing Jayce when he is healthy and up to speed.

Yes.  Now that Virtanen is out of the lineup, the natural switch would be Gaudette for Hawryluk, which should give a nice boost to the bottom 6!