The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's plan

Rate this topic

tan

21 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Lol.  "Benning's plan"

Bold of you to assume he might be here past this season. People need to realize that with the success in this last past season and the moves he made to trade picks for talent (Toffoli, now Schmidt), the bar has been raised and its now 2nd round and beyond or bust going forward.  Maybe he can gets an additional year but then that just means that Green's going to be the fall-guy.  How many coaches does a GM get to oversee before the fingers finally turn to him?  Not many I'd imagine.

This will be an important year for Benning.  No more leeway, no more screwups, just big plays and big moves. 

Let's see if he has it in his locker...

Why wouldn't he be? Do you think YOUR suggestion of Chris Gear will be the replacement? :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

57 minutes ago, tan said:

1. 2020-2021,

Keep the young core intact. Fill up void roster spot from UFA bargains bin, maintain the team competitive and in playoff.—it is not cup contending year.

Run out bad contracts naturally.

Will not trade LE and 1st round draft pick to dump salary unless there is a tremendous good opportunity to acquire Cernak/Killorn/Johnson.

2. 2021-2022

Edler, Baertschi, Sutter and Pearson’s contract will be off hook. (17 mil cap space right there)

I predict Benning will sign one of Hughes or Pettersson a short 2 year bridge contract. The other will get 8.5 mil x 7years.

Still fill the void roster spot with cheap one year contract.

2022-2025

Finally, LE’s contract will run out and Luongo’s cap recapture penalty 3 mil will be gone too

Beagle and Roussel are gone (6mil cap space)

No more bad contracts!!!

Can add quality UFAs.

Extend Boeser(7.5 mil x 7years till he is 32 year old) or might trade him for a top 4D?

All core players are in their prime.

Will be serious contender team in the period.

While I agree that our window opens with Petey and Hughes' second contracts, I'm more worried that Benning will just overpay for replacements. I don't see many of those players that are off the books within the next 2-3 years coming back. That being said, I don't he gets fired if we miss the playoffs, nor will Green.

3 minutes ago, DSVII said:

That's very bold of you to assume either Petey or Hughes will settle for $8.5mil x 7 years.

The part that terrifies me is quality UFAs. Benning has missed more than hit with these. I think Miller and Vrbata were his best ones still, but everything since then has been meh to horrible. 

My bad.

Edited by Dazzle

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Average compared to what?

#Canucks general manager Jim Benning finished 6th in voting for executive of the year. He received 3 first place votes, 3 second place votes and 5 third place votes. The Jim Gregory GM of the year award is voted on by NHL GMs along with a panel of media members.

Apparently NHL GMs disagree with you.

So 6 years into the job and JB has one 6th place finish for Best GM award. Nice. 

Since when is it ok to be content with mediocrity? Does the current offseason inspire you to think JB can improve upon his “milestone”?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Hawrylck and Motte's signings are perfect example of what type of contracts should be in the bottom 6.

Apparently, those signings are impossible to make when you're at the bottom of the standings.  It's imperative to spend multiple millions on multi-year contracts for 20 pt guys who bring "leadership" and "character".  And when they inevitably go bad and cost you 4 roster players, it's all "how could he have foreseen this?", or "hindsight is 20/20", or my personal favourite, "COVID!!!!!"

:lol::lol::lol:

• Like 2
  • Wat 3

Just now, Alain Vigneault said:

Apparently, those signings are impossible to make when you're at the bottom of the standings.  It's imperative to spend multiple millions on multi-year contracts for 20 pt guys who bring "leadership" and "character".  And when they inevitably go bad and cost you 4 roster players, it's all "how could he have foreseen this?", or "hindsight is 20/20", or my personal favourite, "COVID!!!!!"

:lol::lol::lol:

Are we at the bottom of the standings? Did I miss something here?