The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's plan

Rate this topic

tan

9 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Hawrylck and Motte's signings are perfect example of what type of contracts should be in the bottom 6.

So based on this, wouldn't you say that Benning's gotten a lot better with signings? That is showing that he's making adaptations, thus not an average GM.

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

So based on this, wouldn't you say that Benning's gotten a lot better with signings? That is showing that he's making adaptations, thus not an average GM.

He has gotten better, but it shouldn't have gotten to this point in the first place. Hopefully Hawyrlck/Motte contracts are the new standard, but there are far more bad or iffy contracts in that bottom 6 right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ken kaniff said:

I find it funny how many people defend JB as if he's not the one that signed those contracts that are handcuffing our team now. They were bad contracts when they were signed and they're bad now.

All facts here.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

Most NHL teams before winning a cup will go through big changes on the roster but also the GM and/or coach.

Benning might have set forth a foundation and plan for this team, but it remains to be seen whether he will still be here to see it through.  I don't think he will be, has done some good things to set a good foundation, but he hasn't shown he can help build upon it.  Need a more savvy GM to do that sorta of stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ken kaniff said:

I find it funny how many people defend JB as if he's not the one that signed those contracts that are handcuffing our team now. They were bad contracts when they were signed and they're bad now.

Can he not make bad signings in the past and good signings or at least better now?

I think it hurts loosing Markstrom and Tanev but given the contracts they got it is better to not re-sign them irregardless of the poor return on Sutter, Roussel, Erikksson+ contracts.  

Loosing Tofu and Stetch hurts more because they signed reasonable to under valued  contracts that we couldn’t afford. 
Can’t blame him for Luongo recapture. 
Will be an interesting year. If Holtby can improve significantly from last year we should be playoff team. If he plays like last year probably not. 
Of course that assumes we don’t make any other big moves. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Great trade for Schmidt and no bad UFA signings.  Benning has done very well this offseason.

"No bad UFA signings"

Yeah, because he had no flipping cap-space to make signings in the first place.  And even then, he almost signed Tyson Barrie to north of 5M dollars.

He's done the bare minimum to make this an "acceptable" off-season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

"No bad UFA signings"

Yeah, because he had no flipping cap-space to make signings in the first place.  And even then, he almost signed Tyson Barrie to north of 5M dollars.

But wait a minute.

You said no one lined up to sign Tyler Myers for 6M. How did he get 6M then?

And likewise, did no one 'line up' to sign Barrie? Why didn't he just sign for Benning's offer of 5M, if in fact that was "real"? LOL. Good logic btw.

Are you just gonna continue talking out of your rear side again? Aren't you afraid you'll get diarrhea?

Edited by Dazzle
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

"No bad UFA signings"

because media said Benning was going to pay Barrie more than five mill? or did Benning say it?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bree2 said:

because media said Benning was going to pay Barrie more than five mill? or did Benning say it?

Alain just makes up crap to make Benning look bad for some reason. It's actually hilarious. Pure entertainment, especially when he's blatantly contradicting himself.

If Benning really had an offer of 5 M, which I surmise from Alain is a bad offer, why did Barrie sign for 3.75 then in Edmonton?

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Qwags said:

Pretty sure Benning signed Roussel, Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson, and Myers to those deals. This offseason was better (so far) but that's because we had little to no money to begin with.

You're on fire today.

I love you and never forget that.

• Wat 1

14 minutes ago, bree2 said:

I heard Dreger today on radio say Canucks offered significantly more $ to Barrie vs what he signed for in Edm...do I believe Eastern Boy DD, nope! No player would turn down more $, especially in a flat cap

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

I heard Dreger today on radio say Canucks offered significantly more $ to Barrie vs what he signed for in Edm...do I believe Eastern Boy DD, nope! No player would turn down more $, especially in a flat cap

Tbh, he's a fool for not taking Vancouver's offer for that exact reason related to guaranteed money in a flat cap.

My guess is that he thinks he'll collect more money next off-season after he likely puts up 60+ points playing with McDavid on PP1.  Let's be honest, he wasn't going to play in front of Hughes on PP1 here so he's betting on himself.

Hope it works out for him or else he's a sucker for not taking our money while he had the chance.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Tbh, he's a fool for not taking Vancouver's offer for that exact reason related to guaranteed money in a flat cap.

My guess is that he thinks he'll collect more money next off-season after he likely puts up 60+ points playing with McDavid on PP1.  Let's be honest, he wasn't going to play in front of Hughes on PP1 here so he's betting on himself.

Hope it works out for him or else he's a sucker for not taking our money while he had the chance.

The only fool is you for believing that report lol. Why would a player choose 3.75 over 5, especially when the Canucks (at the time) didn't have a defenceman? Of course the report wasn't true. 3.75 was the best offer he could get.

Why did Myers command 6M and Barrie 3.75? Demand.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, ken kaniff said:

Yes, my thoughts exactly. It's just if you write anything negative about the team on here people get so upset and want you to leave. They start to use the flat cap as an excuse as to why we are where we are. He has also done some great things in terms of the Miller trade, Petersson, Hughes, Toffoli at the time, and for the most part not including this offseason, dealing with our own free agents. A very big reason we are stuck is because of the money tied up in bottom six players and players that are not really making an impact with the team, Baersthi and Ferland. The deal with Ferland should have been a show me deal considering the injuries he suffered and not for his past play. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 3