The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's plan

Rate this topic

tan

43 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

The cap has also gone up a lot since then. I'm pretty sure Crosby was the highest paid player in the league at that time.

Hughes and peteys agents are going to be comparing to recent contracts like mcdavid draisaitl marner Matthew's etc

Perhaps when he signed his first deal of 5 years at 8.7, but he then signed the same deal for another 12 years. Coincidentally, McDavid, Draisaitl and Matthews have all experienced nothing but playoff failure.

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

After eating the amount of mud you did in the Nordstrom thread, nobody should owe you any explanation for these things ever again.  Consider this a gift because you and some other peeps could learn a thing or two, and you're seemingly a glutton for attention and humiliation.

1.  The reality of a flat cap and an expansion draft looming means that teams are more hesitant to commit big money and big term.

2.  GMs, especially the GMs that love certain players, will pay big money to secure the players they love, regardless if the market dictates otherwise.  Consider that Sergei Bobrovsky had just two destinations to go to:  Columbus and Florida.  He wasn't going to return to Columbus so really it was just Florida.  Dale Tallon, a noted admirer of Bobrovsky, handed him 70M over 7 years when he was the only true bidder in that auction.  Flash-forward a year, multiple teams are in for Markstrom, and he only bags 36M over 6 years. 

Why did Bobrovsky command more than Markstrom?  Demand?  No.

Myers got 6M because Benning loves the player, not because of the demand.  Winnipeg fans couldn't wait until Myers left because he was that overpaid at 5.5M for them.  There may have been teams interested in Myers but I will speculate with my life that they did not offer anything close to the 6M he got.

Benning in the past has tried to trade for Barrie.  He chased him relentlessly at many points during his tenure and nearly landed him at the 2019 draft.  In short, he loves the player.  I don't doubt for one moment he offered 5M+ for that reason.  Like I said, Barrie is a sucker for not taking that 5M guaranteed if that report is true  The only explanation I can give is that he looked at the prospect of playing PP1 with McDavid and saw many points and many dollar signs as a result.  That same opportunity would not have been given to Barrie in Vancouver because Hughes already has that PP1 spot.

Don't bother tagging me, quoting me, mentioning me.  I won't be discussing this or anything else with you as you will be promptly placed on the ignore list.

Learn the game of puck and maybe I'll reconsider ^_^

Holly Narcissism Batman!

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, BM24 said:

Why would a players decision be strictly dependant on money? There is far more opportunity for Barrie in Edmonton therefore helping his longtime value and that itself is more enticing than a measly 1.25M. 

Barrie in Vancouver could hurt his value and net him, let’s say, 4-5M per. 

Barrie in Edmonton could help his value and net him 6-7M per long term. 

Just because a player took a deal for X amount, doesn’t mean Z amount wasn’t on the table. In fact, it probably was but the opportunities with caphit X far outweighed the ones he would’ve had at caphit Z. 

Need anything else I can walk you through? I have spare time. 

Are you rich? a measly 1.25M and I am set for the rest of my life. lmfao

• Haha 1

PS..........no one asked me what his successes were

1. Drafting.......................Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, and Demko

2. Drafting.......................Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Rathbone 

3 Later Trades................Miller, Pearson, Toffoli and Schmidt

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

After eating the amount of mud you did in the Nordstrom thread, nobody should owe you any explanation for these things ever again.  Consider this a gift because you and some other peeps could learn a thing or two, and you're seemingly a glutton for attention and humiliation.

1.  The reality of a flat cap and an expansion draft looming means that teams are more hesitant to commit big money and big term.

2.  GMs, especially the GMs that love certain players, will pay big money to secure the players they love, regardless if the market dictates otherwise.  Consider that Sergei Bobrovsky had just two destinations to go to:  Columbus and Florida.  He wasn't going to return to Columbus so really it was just Florida.  Dale Tallon, a noted admirer of Bobrovsky, handed him 70M over 7 years when he was the only true bidder in that auction.  Flash-forward a year, multiple teams are in for Markstrom, and he only bags 36M over 6 years. 

Why did Bobrovsky command more than Markstrom?  Demand?  No.

Myers got 6M because Benning loves the player, not because of the demand.  Winnipeg fans couldn't wait until Myers left because he was that overpaid at 5.5M for them.  There may have been teams interested in Myers but I will speculate with my life that they did not offer anything close to the 6M he got.

Benning in the past has tried to trade for Barrie.  He chased him relentlessly at many points during his tenure and nearly landed him at the 2019 draft.  In short, he loves the player.  I don't doubt for one moment he offered 5M+ for that reason.  Like I said, Barrie is a sucker for not taking that 5M guaranteed if that report is true  The only explanation I can give is that he looked at the prospect of playing PP1 with McDavid and saw many points and many dollar signs as a result.  That same opportunity would not have been given to Barrie in Vancouver because Hughes already has that PP1 spot.

Don't bother tagging me, quoting me, mentioning me.  I won't be discussing this or anything else with you as you will be promptly placed on the ignore list.

Learn the game of puck and maybe I'll reconsider ^_^

1.) So, is six year contract for Markstrom now considered to be a "short term" deal? Is Tanev at four years short term? And just a thought: potentially Markstrom wanted to stay in Canada (maybe he likes it here rather than in the USA) and the offer from Calgary was the best offer that he got from a Canadian team.

2.) Maybe Bobrovsky had a better resume at the time of his signing and was worth the higher price? I am also curious as to how you know that Florida was the only team looking to sign Bobrovsky? Please provide several links to support this position as I haven't seen anything to support one side or the other. :) 

regards,  G.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks Jan, with your previous post I thought you were going over to the dark side lol

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Oh Jan, what were his successes? Happy?  :)

regards,  G.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I do have to say that this off season has tarnished Benning's shine in my eyes......

He was so lucky on Schmidt................................................Sooooooooo, Lucky!

Did someone say lucky?

Yes. JB had good fortune on Schmidt. He'd almost lost lucky

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I do have to say that this off season has tarnished Benning's shine in my eyes......

He was so lucky on Schmidt................................................Sooooooooo, Lucky!

I have to admit that Schmidt was a very suspicious "lucky" break. There was no need to trade him so quickly (was there?), and there wasn't any need to trade him within the division/conference, or to Vancouver in particular. 

Or, if this was not a break, then was it something that was sorta' kinda' on the back burner (for several days), and there's some other considerations to be had in this deal at some future point? 

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

We will see. It’s not over yet but we are risking a lot by relying on rookies to come and play big minutes.

See, I'm of a totally different mindset. I think we don't ever play enough rookies. We expect development and then we suffocate them with competition.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

I have to admit that Schmidt was a very suspicious "lucky" break. There was no need to trade him so quickly (was there?), and there wasn't any need to trade him within the conference, or to Vancouver in particular. 

Or, if this was not a break, then was it something that was sorta' kinda' on the back burner (for several days), and there's some other considerations to be had in this deal at some future point? 

regards,  G.

Well, IMO

I think AP gave Vegas the "You got 24 hours, or I am signing with someone else"

and Vancouver was the only one that said deal, when the phone rang.

I think all the other may have asked for time............

Edited by janisahockeynut

38 minutes ago, BM24 said:

Overpaying is a great way to make it no choice at all. 

so you agree, sometimes you have to overpay. do you think we were a attractive market these past few years? all Free agents knew that they were going to have to compete with our depth chart. all FA knew they had to pay more in tax. most analists had us near the bottom of the standings, most FA want to win.

jim was in a tough spot, he probably knew he was overpaying for certain contracts. ownership probably had a goal to reach playoffs every year. you dont sign free agents under bidding other teams. if Jim didnt sign anyone he would have been fired along time ago.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

See, I'm of a totally different mindset. I think we don't ever play enough rookies. We expect development and then we suffocate them with competition.

Yes I can see that as well. Who knows maybe it will be good to see Rathbone and Raferty add something new back there. I am really excited about Rathbone.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

1.) So, is six year contract for Markstrom now considered to be a "short term" deal? Is Tanev at four years short term? And just a thought: potentially Markstrom wanted to stay in Canada (maybe he likes it here rather than in the USA) and the offer from Calgary was the best offer that he got from a Canadian team.

2.) Maybe Bobrovsky had a better resume at the time of his signing and was worth the higher price? I am also curious as to how you know that Florida was the only team looking to sign Bobrovsky? Please provide several links to support this position as I haven't seen anything to support one side or the other. :) 

regards,  G.

1.  Nope, not short.  I just meant to articulate that even with many noted suitors, he got less money and term than Bobrovsky.  A flat cap and expansion draft obviously factored in.

2.  Depends on who you ask.  He had more years of experience as a starter than Markstrom.

I'm too lazy to find links (I know, that weakens my point) but many in the hockey circle knew that Florida was where his eye was at.  That's why they moved Bjugstad for a UFA Brassard and why Luongo (with 3 years left) suddenly had "injuries" that ended his career.  Columbus was always a possibility but once it was clear Panarin would be leaving, that killed any chance for Bobrovsky staying.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I am half and half on that............

Aka.............Hughes, Pettersson and Stecher were immediate

Juolevi could not due to injuries

But I would like to have seen more of Chatfield, Brisebois and Sautner