The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jake Virtanen

28 minutes ago, BPA said:

On the SN650 radio yesterday, they mentioned that Jake is similar to ANDREAS ATHANASIOU.  Capable of scoring off the rush but metrics show he brings the line down.  In other words, he doesn't make the line better.  That he gets his points by virtue of statistics of shot attempts.  And both players were weak defensively.

I thought it was an interesting take on JV.

He can be taught defense.  So hopefully he gets it and be comes defensively sound while contributing 15+ goals and being consistent. 

Yes, but apparently it's a mystery as to why Horvat once again had a continuing rotation on his RW as Green desperately tried to find anyone actually worth playing there.

Personally, I think Gaudette has a better shot there this coming season than Virtanen. We'll see if Virtanen did in fact get the message this offseason or not...

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I don't think that's fair at all. Eriksson has played a ton on the PK and is very successful at that. This warrants AT LEAST 1-2 million.

Lets pretend Eriksson is a UFA, do you think his agent would have gotten any calls, how about one call from an NHL team enquiring about his services. I would venture to say ZERO calls.

16 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Lets pretend Eriksson is a UFA, do you think his agent would have gotten any calls, how about one call from an NHL team enquiring about his services. I would venture to say ZERO calls.

Apparently Dazzle believes he is worth more then Motte who makes 1.2 Million. He is one of the last "Softies" on this team which I hope the Coach doesn't think he is useful for anything this team is trying to achieve. The softies over the years have achieved nothing in the post season for decades for this franchise, time for a change. Thankfully JB knows that, the Coach?????????

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Apparently Dazzle believes he is worth more then Motte who makes 1.2 Million. He is one of the last "Softies" on this team which I hope the Coach doesn't think he is useful for anything this team is trying to achieve. The softies over the years have achieved nothing in the post season for decades for this franchise, time for a change. Thankfully JB knows that, the Coach?????????

Meh. To be fair, Motte's going to make 1.5 next season. A well deserved raise.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

:wacko:

What better source for th'analytics than 'SN650'? 

Not gonna bother to ask which pretender was peddling that - it makes no difference.

Just an awful comparable / troll material.

Athanasiou:

10g, 14a, 24 pts, 46 games, -45 (= worst on the worst team in the NHL), 2:20 per game of pp ice time.

28 hits, 21 blocks, 13 takeaways, 30 giveaways.

55.2% ozone starts (2nd highest on the Wings), 45.6% corsi (17th)

1.9 on ice goals for per 60 5on5

5.7 on ice goals against per 60 = worst on the Wings.  -3.8 on ice goals per 60.

.821 on ice sv% = worst on the Wings / worst in the entire NHL.

Virtanen

18g, 18a, 36pts, -4, 69 games, ), 0:52 seconds per game pp ice time.

102 hits, 28 blocks, 37 takeaways, 30 giveaways.

52% ozone starts (8th among regulars), 48.8% corsi (8th among regulars).

2.2 on ice goals for

2.6 on ice goals against = 4th best on the Canucks

.925 on ice sv% = 4th best on the Canucks / .963 in the playoffs (best among all forwards).

Not to mention that Virtanen's 'possession'/shot attempt differentials were better than those of his most frequent linemates (who he's supposedly 'dragging down').

Attempting to equate these two / as if they are comparables is utter ignorance.

It was the afternoon program around 3pm.  Think it was Reach-Deep program (sp??).  They had some guy on as a guest from The Athletic (I think).

1 minute ago, BPA said:

It was the afternoon program around 3pm.  Think it was Reach-Deep program (sp??).  They had some guy on as a guest from The Athletic (I think).

They would publish literally anyone/anything.....sounds like JD Burke material.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

Literally no way of knowing a hypothetical like this, but...

He might get a 700k, one year deal somewhere - if he were a UFA.

As a comparable - that is what Marleau got - and imo there outcomes are 'comparably' serviceable...

Marleau

10g, 10a, -5, 58 games, 15:36/g ice time.

47% ozone starts

49% corsi

26 takeaways, 13 giveaways.

2.7 on ice goals for per 60

2.9 against.

.906 on ice sv%

1:24/game powerplay ice time (5 seconds pk)

Eriksson

6g, 7a, -2, 49 games, 12:22/g ice time.

37.1% ozone starts

49.0% corsi

17 takeaways, 8 giveaways

3.1 on ice goals for per 60

3.1 against

.911 on ice sv%

1:25 per game penalty kill ice time (4 seconds pp).

Problem for LE however - is that he would need to terminate first....and if he's going to wait until getting unconditionally waived (ie training camp) before facing reality, there may not be many/any roster spots left around the league at that point...

• Cheers 1

Was nice to hear JV is pumpin' iron with the Big Giraffe. Next we might wanna throw booster cables on his temples & give him a Ferrari-revved jump-start.

Kid'll have a great few shifts/period, then disappear again for 10-14 days. Maybe it's the freekin' brand of java he's drinkin'?

Whatever it is..lad's gotta get it in gear, cos' other kids will be passing him soon. Next 2, 3 mos of play should be tell-tale...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

As a comparable - that is what Marleau got - and imo there outcomes are 'comparably' serviceable...

Marleau

47% ozone starts

49% corsi

2.9 against.

.906 on ice sv%

Eriksson

37.1% ozone starts

49.0% corsi

3.1 against

.911 on ice sv%

Problem for LE however - is that he would need to terminate first....and if he's going to wait until getting unconditionally waived (ie training camp) before facing reality, there may not be many/any roster spots left around the league at that point...

Agree to disagree , Loui may get a PTO offer at best from a no depth team

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

:wacko:

What better source for th'analytics than 'SN650'? 

Not gonna bother to ask which pretender was peddling that - it makes no difference.

Just an awful comparable / troll material.

Athanasiou:

10g, 14a, 24 pts, 46 games, -45 (= worst on the worst team in the NHL), 2:20 per game of pp ice time.

28 hits, 21 blocks, 13 takeaways, 30 giveaways.

55.2% ozone starts (2nd highest on the Wings), 45.6% corsi (17th)

1.9 on ice goals for per 60 5on5

5.7 on ice goals against per 60 = worst on the Wings / Worst in the entire NHL.

-3.8 on ice goal differential per 60.

.821 on ice sv% = worst on the Wings.

Virtanen

18g, 18a, 36pts, -4, 69 games, ), 0:52 seconds per game pp ice time.

102 hits, 28 blocks, 37 takeaways, 30 giveaways.

52% ozone starts (8th among regulars), 48.8% corsi (8th among regulars).

2.2 on ice goals for

2.6 on ice goals against = 4th best on the Canucks

.925 on ice sv% = 4th best on the Canucks / .963 in the playoffs (best among all forwards).

Not to mention that Virtanen's 'possession'/shot attempt differentials were better than those of his most frequent linemates (who he's supposedly 'dragging down').

Attempting to equate these two / as if they are comparables is utter ignorance.

64AEDDCF-B0D0-45D6-B84F-1E0D329EEC53.gif

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

Marleau

47% ozone starts

49% corsi

2.9 against.

.906 on ice sv%

Eriksson

37.1% ozone starts

49.0% corsi

3.1 against

.911 on ice sv%

It seems LE has no pride and only $ & cents on his mind - two more years of uninspired play then he is gone.  I really hope LE, does not win a cup with this team.....

Edited by ShawnAntoski

On 10/30/2020 at 9:31 AM, BabychStache said:

JV can be frustrating, but when he streaks in along the wing and rips a puck or makes a big hit... its FUN! 

One of my fav players to watch. Awesome skillset, hopefully someday he can pull it all together. 

I think many on here forget that.......Hockey is supposed to be entertaining. Rock em' sock em' video's were popular for a reason. Some are OK with watching LE play "defensively" but I am all about the exciting plays as well. 

There are very few players on this team that can hit like Jake where the player being hit "feels it"(No, Stecher or Boeser hitting a guy doesn't count).

I feel Jake is similar to Bertuzzi as they don't always put in 100% all of the time. I remember watching Bert when he was ,for example, supposed to back check or get back into the D zone and he was almost never the first guy back. 

I really think that if he is given room to grow, we will see a different player then what we are seeing now. He is worrying about making mistakes, on the ice, which is stunting his growth IMHO. 

I think Gaudette is another player who plays like he is afraid to make a mistake as well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I can think of one moment when Virt skated like the wind down the left side of the ice and he scored one off the rush. That takes elite skill, but we only get teased by that every so often.

I agree, but what I also notice is that because he gets moved around so much(line to line) he has to think about who he is playing with(no chemistry) and I also see him thinking of playing strickly defensively when playing in the bottom six. 

Thats why I say it would be nice if he could just play his game and be allowed to hit or play offensively when he wanted to without thinking about other things. 

Anyway, thats what I see , but who knows what goes on between him and the coach. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree, but what I also notice is that because he gets moved around so much(line to line) he has to think about who he is playing with(no chemistry) and I also see him thinking of playing strickly defensively when playing in the bottom six. 

Thats why I say it would be nice if he could just play his game and be allowed to hit or play offensively when he wanted to without thinking about other things. 

Anyway, thats what I see , but who knows what goes on between him and the coach. 

I just updated my post to show the clip I was talking about, which you may or may not have already seen :)

But I'd like to think that Virtanen will do a lot better this next coming season.

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I just updated my post to show the clip I was talking about, which you may or may not have already seen :)

But I'd like to think that Virtanen will do a lot better this next coming season.

No I never seen this before very cool video. What a concept hey? Having a player who can hit, score and skates like the best of them. I guarantee we have never had a player with these attributes on this team before, or at least since I started watching them in the 80's.

• Like 1