The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jake Virtanen

26 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I see his path to playing in the NHL next year as termination. 

I can't imagine him not being unconditionally waived - at least that's what I hope/expect - and of course there is zero to no chance he's claimed....so it's either ride busses (whether virtual or real) in the AHL, or terminate and find out if there is actually a team out there that would give him a league minimum range deal to placehold for them.   Hopefully his agent's efforts in the trade market has given them a realistic assessement of his market value - and hopefully that longshot borderline pipe dream of being included in a Ekman-Larsson type deal has not given them the impression that playing out this contract in the NHL is a possibility.  I agree 100% with Benning's indication that they'll neither spend assets to move him nor retain cap in the process.  I think they've been gracious enough with LE - it's time to turn the page, period.

I completely agree. LE has had all the time and space given to improve, find his game, or at least show he still gives a sh*#. The team is in a decent place right now. They are able to compete, have several contracts set up to end as our young stars need to be paid. There is no good reason to throw away assets or cap for LE. Send him down and hope he hangs them up. If not, oh well it will be over soon either way. 

• Cheers 2

On 10/29/2020 at 8:18 PM, ShawnAntoski said:

It seems LE has no pride and only $ & cents on his mind - two more years of uninspired play then he is gone.  I really hope LE, does not win a cup with this team.....

I agree LE has been coasting for years.  Having said that, I hope the Canucks win 2 cups while he is still under contract. ;)

• Cheers 1

On 10/30/2020 at 9:31 AM, BabychStache said:

JV can be frustrating, but when he streaks in along the wing and rips a puck or makes a big hit... its FUN! 

One of my fav players to watch. Awesome skillset, hopefully someday he can pull it all together. 

Absolutely. My favorite to watch is his reverse hits, which he hasn't done for a while. When he does, I watch them over and over again.

• Cheers 1

On 11/1/2020 at 12:51 PM, Amebushi said:

I completely agree. LE has had all the time and space given to improve, find his game, or at least show he still gives a sh*#. The team is in a decent place right now. They are able to compete, have several contracts set up to end as our young stars need to be paid. There is no good reason to throw away assets or cap for LE. Send him down and hope he hangs them up. If not, oh well it will be over soon either way. 

I am hoping for a big bounce back year from Louigi, say 23 points would increase his average as a Canuck

• Cheers 1

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 10:18 AM, Provost said:

$2.55 million is a low enough number to maybe make him tradeable.

If there is still an opportunity to use him to shed cap, I still do that.

I don’t think he is good enough for our top line and he isn’t a fit on the Horvat line which will have lots of defensive responsibilities.

We have other, cheaper options for the 3rd line.

Cheaper options for 3rd line? Less than 2.55m? Other than Gaudette, who?