The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jake Virtanen

1 minute ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Apparently Ferkies agent says he is skating in Manitoba on his own and is doing good.

Looking like he may try and be ready for the next training camp.

I just hope he doesn’t drop the gloves the minute he plays his first game again 

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, mll said:

If Ferland is healthy they might also be looking to use the same strategy as Toronto and demote waiver free players on days they are not playing to continue to accrue cap space.

Earlier this week Seravalli on Insider Trading talked of how the Leafs plan to carry a roster as close as possible to 20 this coming season.  Bergevin talked of not having a full 23 player roster either - they are slightly above right now.  There could be also other teams planning to use that approach.

Teams with players on LTIR might not be able to use that strategy as easily though.  Juolevi, Rathbone are waiver free and might not be lineup regulars and could be demoted without risk of losing them to waivers.  However if Ferland is on LTIR, their recall cap hit goes from circa 900K to closer to 2M which makes that strategy less convenient.  

Hockey feed has the Seravalli transcript:

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/leafs-come-up-with-crazy-plans-to-respect-salary-cap

“Their plan is to stay at as close to 20 players on the roster as possible. Maybe carrying 21 players on game day, shuttling a waiver exempt player down to the minors to accrue salary cap space at the beginning of the season on off days. And then after that, once they have some space banked up, then they can begin to get creative if need be later in the season. But guys, if there was going to be any point in which you want to try and budget to the minimum of the cap possible, it’s in this season because of the roster space considerations and the COVID-19 crunch. And who knows what next season is going to look like? You’re probably going to have some exempt cap players that are going to be travelling with your team at all times. So smart move by the Leafs in that case and that’s how they play to attack this at the moment.”

I'm sure some juggling like this will be part of it. It would also be cheaper to run an 11-7 system some nights for the Canucks. They could send down another F and run with Juolevi and Rafferty with Benn on a rotating 3rd par sort of like what Tampa did. 

16 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Now do we see a buyout of the Sutter variety?

I don’t see a buyout happening. It’ll cost us next year and I don’t think JB wants to do that especially for a guy that’s a UFA at the end of the year

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, GhostsOf1994 said:

Cheers, I hope Ferkie can play without anymore concussion related issues.

If he wasn't hurt during the vgk series i think he could have been a difference maker.

It’s a pretty solid forward group we have with a healthy Ferland. Wish him the best, guy just wants to play hockey 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Yesssssssssssssssssss... I can keep using my handle with some meaning!!! :)

Now, time to buy out Sutter pls....

I’d rather not... we’d be losing a useful forward and getting dinged next year. 

WHEN healthy, Sutter’s a great 3C 

22 minutes ago, Provost said:

18 goal, 36 point scorer as a career high.  He didn’t even hit 20 goals if you added enough playoff games to make a full 82 games.

I want to trade him to shed cap space.  If Virtanen + a prospect gets rid of Eriksson, you can buy a LOT more goals with that money right now.

That's just asinine.  Virtanen's contract makes him one of the rare bargain signings on this team.  You'll be making a mistake to fix another mistake.  And JV + a prospect is not enough to get rid of that anchor of a contract that Loui has.

• Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, Provost said:

18 goal, 36 point scorer as a career high.  He didn’t even hit 20 goals if you added enough playoff games to make a full 82 games.

I want to trade him to shed cap space.  If Virtanen + a prospect gets rid of Eriksson, you can buy a LOT more goals with that money right now.

But do you believe that Virtanen and a prospect gets rid of LE?   I'm assuming you are adding Pod/Hoglander?  even then I can't see it.

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

I just hope he doesn’t drop the gloves the minute he plays his first game again 

The conversation between Ferland and Foligno ahead of their fight sounded like two buddies just agreeing to go for a drink.  Feels like Ferland just wanted to prove himself he could.  Hopefully he and people close to him will make sure that he gets that it's not worth it.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

It’s a pretty solid forward group we have with a healthy Ferland. Wish him the best, guy just wants to play hockey 

Oh man, if the forward core was healthy

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Ferland Sutter Gaudette

Motte Beagle Leivo

Roussel Macewan Eriksson

Toffoli likely wouldn't have been acquired 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I'm sure some juggling like this will be part of it. It would also be cheaper to run an 11-7 system some nights for the Canucks. They could send down another F and run with Juolevi and Rafferty with Benn on a rotating 3rd par sort of like what Tampa did. 

There's also Benn that could be used as the player sent down.  He's probably not a lineup regular either.  Not sure Roussel will be an everyday lineup player either after Green played him less than 7:30 in bubble.  Probably wouldn't want to send down someone like MacEwen as he could get claimed.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 3