The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

how far have you gone?

smithers joe

6 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

quinn 

3FBAF13E-0B6C-4C88-A38F-22D69D4B2926.png

Yeah, don't remember the name....but to be fair, it was a long time ago. I remember Chara and Marleau and for some strange reason, Ronald Petrovicky who was the Cougars' captain at the time....

Edit: I think Eric Brewer was on that team as well and maybe Sheldon Souray....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

quinn 

3FBAF13E-0B6C-4C88-A38F-22D69D4B2926.png

I grew up in Mackenzie and our minor hockey would buy Cougars tickets. Remember Quinn Hancock quite well! He was actually the only junior player to have a clip in rock em' sock em' because he was hipchecked and did a complete flip. I remember Quinn having a TON of skill. Gary Toor, Scotty Meyer, Chara, Curt Tippler, Tyler Bouck, all names off the top of my head!

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Same, but we kept the beer off the bench.

Played in a Rec league at Selkirk College. A lot of good hockey players in the Castlegar-Rossland-Trail-Fruitvale circuit. No beer in the dressing rooms but we went into the Tera Nova after games as underagers and had a few frosties. My classic story about those days was lifting a BMW off the CPR tracks on the way to a game at Cominco Arena. Yes you could actually hear the train whistle as we lifted the car. The guy gave us a $20 for our troubles. That was back in the day when a glass of beer was 20 cents. The boys had a great night that night. Went on to a career in a commercial league and then into coaching my son thru his hockey. 

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Played in a Rec league at Selkirk College. A lot of good hockey players in the Castlegar-Rossland-Trail-Fruitvale circuit. No beer in the dressing rooms but we went into the Tera Nova after games as underagers and had a few frosties. My classic story about those days was lifting a BMW off the CPR tracks on the way to a game at Cominco Arena. Yes you could actually hear the train whistle as we lifted the car. The guy gave us a $20 for our troubles. That was back in the day when a glass of beer was 20 cents. The boys had a great night that night. Went on to a career in a commercial league and then into coaching my son thru his hockey. 

god, your an old codger.  cheers.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

The real question is who wears shouldys or a windshield?

Once I went beer league I took them off or wore ones from the 80s that were barely there. I actually wore the small pads for awhile in junior as could throw em better and hits were harder.  

Went without a shield till mid 20s then half and then finished with a full cage as too many idiots couldn't control their sticks. Dentist work is pricey and would go full cage again in old timers most likely. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I have a good friend who was an excellent player from that part of the world. By any chance did you know Kerry Swanson?

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Yes they know how to play hockey in Trail!

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I have a good friend who was an excellent player from that part of the world. By any chance did you know Kerry Swanson?

I was there in 69-71. Doesn't ring a bell. A name that never left me was a young guy who played for the Castlegar Rebels. Shukin I think. One of the most talented players I ever saw. He dominated a game one night against the Junior Smokeaters. Never forget. Stick handle and skate like the wind. That was the year the Jr. Smokeaters won provincials. It was a real treat to watch those guys. The vets from the World Champ '61 team were helping with that team all the time. Travis Green came thru a good 10 years later and they were still coaching the young kids. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I was there in 69-71. Doesn't ring a bell. A name that never left me was a young guy who played for the Castlegar Rebels. Shukin I think. One of the most talented players I ever saw. He dominated a game one night against the Junior Smokeaters. Never forget. Stick handle and skate like the wind. That was the year the Jr. Smokeaters won provincials. It was a real treat to watch those guys. The vets from the World Champ '61 team were helping with that team all the time. Travis Green came thru a good 10 years later and they were still coaching the young kids. 

Yeah, Kerry would have been after your time. Midget age around 77-78.

it was a long shot.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, Kerry would have been after your time. Midget age around 77-78.

it was a long shot.

You got me remembering now. I remember a kid named Robbie Robertson. I spent a year at Selkirk College and then signed with Notre Dame University in Indiana. He used to come home on breaks and talk about the race riots down there. Never saw his name in the pros. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

You got me remembering now. I remember a kid named Robbie Robertson. I spent a year at Selkirk College and then signed with Notre Dame University in Indiana. He used to come home on breaks and talk about the race riots down there. Never saw his name in the pros. 

Pretty sure he went on to become a rock star....B)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Robertson

• Haha 1