The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

how far have you gone?

smithers joe

I always thought this was a funny story....

I made all the hot shot teams growing up, won the championships you name it but was always a benchwarmer. So by grade 10 I knew I was done. Continued to play though.

I graduated high school and went on to university. The school at that time was just re starting their hockey program so I decided to try out.

Big surprise to me...the team stunk. I was easily one of the  better players and knew that was a massive problem so I quit right then and there.

The school wouldn't stop calling my house. I was being recruited! Man did I feel like a big leaguer so what did I do? I hired an agent! My mom was representing me as my agent fielding calls from the school! I wasn't playing unless I received a full ride.....

I never played for the school thankfully as they lost every game by massive margins and I was able to focus on my education which paid off big time. Every so often I remind my mom that she had to be my agent for a short period.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

I grew up in Mackenzie and our minor hockey would buy Cougars tickets. Remember Quinn Hancock quite well! He was actually the only junior player to have a clip in rock em' sock em' because he was hipchecked and did a complete flip. I remember Quinn having a TON of skill. Gary Toor, Scotty Meyer, Chara, Curt Tippler, Tyler Bouck, all names off the top of my head!

ya he  was on coaches corner for that hip check he took then he scored ot winner  next shift. 

5 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

I grew up in Mackenzie and our minor hockey would buy Cougars tickets. Remember Quinn Hancock quite well! He was actually the only junior player to have a clip in rock em' sock em' because he was hipchecked and did a complete flip. I remember Quinn having a TON of skill. Gary Toor, Scotty Meyer, Chara, Curt Tippler, Tyler Bouck, all names off the top of my head!

quinn was the youngest of his brothers  at one point 3 or 4 of them played in grand forks for the junior b team but he was the best out of the brothers they all ranch kids  i loved growing up in boundary country lots of good times 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, Kerry would have been after your time. Midget age around 77-78.

it was a long shot.

Considering the amount of time you spend in the Trump thread calling him a racist and bigot, I thought you would know better... I guess not. Hockey Canada was smart enough to stop using that term... guess you play by your own rules.

Just now, canuckster19 said:

Considering the amount of time you spend in the Trump thread calling him a racist and bigot, I thought you would know better... I guess not. Hockey Canada was smart enough to stop using that term... guess you play by your own rules.

Meh. That's what it was called at the time.

Carry on with the faux outrage...

• Upvote 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Nope. You?

Nah. Thanks for your honesty, it pretty much proves what I already know, no one really gives a rats ass about what they say, they all have their own line in the sand and don't really give two flying flips about whether it's derogatory or not, I know where your line is now, about where I figured it would be.

Nah. Thanks for your honesty, it pretty much proves what I already know, no one really gives a rats ass about what they say, they all have their own line in the sand and don't really give two flying flips about whether it's derogatory or not, I know where your line is now, about where I figured it would be.

I don't even know WTF you're talking about. Nor do I care.

If you think you have some sort of case for me saying something "racist or bigoted" then report it.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't even know WTF you're talking about. Nor do I care.

If you think you have some sort of case for me saying something "racist or bigoted" then report it.

See my problem isn't in the word itself, I'm beyond done with it, I just don't care anymore.

I only bring this up because I thought you were better than that.

See my problem isn't in the word itself, I'm beyond done with it, I just don't care anymore.

I only bring this up because I thought you were better than that.

Better  than what?

Lets be honest here. For whatever reason, you don't like my stance on Donald Trump, so you're grasping at some sort of ridiculous straw here. You aren't honestly outraged at my use of a word that was being used at the time of the topic I was discussing with someone else.

So again...if you think you have a case report me..

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Better  than what?

Lets be honest here. For whatever reason, you don't like my stance on Donald Trump, so you're grasping at some sort of ridiculous straw here. You aren't honestly outraged at my use of a word that was being used at the time of the topic I was discussing with someone else.

So again...if you think you have a case report me..

LOL, Trump? I've posted maybe twice in that thread the past few months, I don't even care anymore about it, I'm beyond sick of it, every morning, I live in Sweden, I have to hear Swedish news talking about this, Europe has more people a greater economy, and certainly a better quality of life than the USA, so no. 

I said I admire your position, I like that you stand up for what you believe in, I agree with most of what you say,  I have no desire to report it, I'm not petty, I just want to know why you think that word is ok to use. I mean if you are not aware that it is a derogatory term, just say so.

Edited by canuckster19

1 hour ago, canuckster19 said:

Outrageous! Political Correctness ran amok! Wonder if Tim Pool or Steve Crowder have made videos denouncing the soy-boys who made the decision to restrict our speech, interfere with our traditions as they literally destroy our history. The word 'midget' was never meant to be derogatory at all, this is like a page out of 1984. 

Edited by Toews