The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Canada begin a military nuclear weapons program?

Slegr

Actually having a half dozen "bombs" might be the cheapest option for self defense. I am sure we can buy them under the counter from Israel, Taiwan or the Norks. In the case of the Norks we ship them some wheat as most of them are starving. Canada is a patsy in the view of most other countries. The Americans, Chinese and Russians think they can push us around and do so regularly. Having bombs doesn't really stop this but does cause some reflection. 

If you want nukes and become a super power to rival the USA, Russia, and China; then say goodbye to social healthcare.   Money has to come from somewhere to fund the exorbitant cost of nukes and upgrading (cutting edge) military. 

I can get behind upgrading the military but not behind nukes.

Edited by BPA

1 minute ago, BPA said:

If you want nukes and become a super power to rival the USA, Russia, and China; then say goodbye to social healthcare.   Money has to come from somewhere to fund the exorbitant cost of nukes and upgrading (cutting edge) military. 

I can get behind upgrading the military but not behind nukes.

A 1000 drones with cans of Raid strapped to their wings might be cost effective. 

Nuclear weapons are so last century. I want Canada to go after antimatter weapons. ;) 

Ok, but seriously, it’s just not a good idea. Certainly we have the capability to developing nuclear weapons, but it would take some time, and the net results would most likely be very negative.

We’d be violating a whole bunch of international agreements, almost certainly be sanctioned for it, and we would take a huge hit to our reputation and standing in the world.

And for very little real benefit, as far as security.

People have looked at the idea, like in these articles:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpost.com/news/canada/how-quickly-could-canada-build-an-atomic-bomb/wcm/1e172b0a-b564-492e-b67d-256f02ad3ce8/amp/

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/dolgert-heres-why-canada-should-get-nuclear-weapons/wcm/0caeeadb-9893-48e6-994d-c4367d1472c4/amp/

Canada has certainly had the capability, since the 1950’s, to produce nukes, at least in terms of the necessary knowledge and technology. The main issue is just building the facilities, and acquiring some of the necessary components, like high strength aluminum, to build the centrifuges that would be needed. Other than that, it wouldn’t really be all that difficult for Canada to produce a nuke.

Delivery is another story. Although we have the knowledge and tech to get it done, we don’t really have any systems in place. We don’t have a missile program and we don’t have bombers. So right now, we’d probably need to strap nukes to fighter jets, which isn’t ideal. Although, I’d imagine that we could whip up a ballistic missile program pretty quickly, if we were really serious about getting it done.

Still, I don’t really see the benefit. At least in the current geopolitical reality. Things could change, of course, but we’re a long way off from a world where Canada having nukes makes much, if any, sense, IMO.

6 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

Up to 1984, Canada had a nuclear weapons program. At the height of the program we had four tactical nukes that contained hundreds of warheads.

Really? wow. 

I remember the joint navy base in the bay near where I live getting some heat for allowing nuclear Subs to come in. 

Locals and FN groups would go out and protest in boats, it was right around that time, '84. I always thought it was because BC ( &Canada) was supposed to be nuke free. 

Edited by bishopshodan

On 10/22/2020 at 8:45 PM, Slegr said:

Sounds crazy, right?

But what if it’s not?

We rely too much on the US to keep us safe. We are the only country in the world that has the ability and capability to create nuclear weapons but hasn’t.

Sure we would be kicked out of the international bros leagues. But probably only for awhile. 
Thoughts?

taylor swift what GIF

the only country who poses a threat to us is our neighbors to the south.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

No. Expansion of our Air Force is better. When Iran blew up the plane carrying many iraning Canadians , we should of retaliated with air strikes on their air defence and government buildings. Instead we waited too see what USA would do... 

Its difficult to imagine a situation where it would make sense. (Although it is possible if the world was unstable enough)

Any kind off proliferation on our behalf, as things are today, would almost certainly put needless strain on the relationships with many of our allies. 

After all, Canada has already signed a treaty promising we wouldn't: https://www.un.org/disarmament/wmd/nuclear/npt/

Edited by Red Light Racicot

Maybe if we ever stop spending money and keep going further into debt sure..... That wont be in my lifetime though.  Would be nice if people just stopped, you know, killing each other then that military budget wouldn't be so high.

On 10/23/2020 at 5:45 PM, Father Ryan said:

Actually, I did serve, USN (E5, SK2SS). And really, the agencies that serve under the President are usually a reflection of the person himself. Kennedy was WAY overblown; he had plenty of information to avoid the Bay of Pigs (but didn't), was such a woman chaser as to make Bill Clinton look like a virgin and a saint, and with his brother Robert, damn near got us really deep in the "s**t" by trying to assassinate Castro. Damn near a sociopath. Eisenhower, I will heartily agree with you. The only reason people thought he was ineffective was because he didn't have to be histrionic to get things done; by the time people noticed something needed to happen, his administration had already addressed it and moved on. 

Yes, Al Queda formed out of our helping them with Afghanistan when the USSR was screwing around with them. I'm not going to defend Reagan for everything...but he was a hell of a lot better than anything we've had since then. 

I'll take your opinion on the F35 and look into to it. The defense contractor/construction industry is one complete "Charlie Foxtrot", has been for years. I more used that as an example to illustrate the need to stay completely and utterly away from the nuclear option. Substitute a wing or two of Hornets and/or F-22s, then.

You would be better with F22s, although they are massively costed - a Rafele or Typhoon while they are not as good are considerably less and are still more than capable.

the F35 for all its hype is not a Harrier replacement - it’s VTOL is actually vertical landing only and it’s a bloody fortune. 

I’m no expert but surely Canada’s airforce should be primarily focused on multi role but leaning towards the Inteceptor role, especially for patrolling in the north and shadowing Russian planes.

as such something like the Grippen E may be perfect 

I would like to see ship born aircraft capabilities. They were talking about an amphibious assault carrier at the end of Harpers era, of course Liberals as always put the kybosh on that, or the reinvestment into a modern Arrow. We may need amphibious capabilities should the NW passage permanently open.

1 hour ago, canuckster19 said:

I would like to see ship born aircraft capabilities. They were talking about an amphibious assault carrier at the end of Harpers era, of course Liberals as always put the kybosh on that, or the reinvestment into a modern Arrow. We may need amphibious capabilities should the NW passage permanently open.

A LHD/Amphibious assault ship would work, something like the Mistral class ships for the NW passage. That with a number of small destroyers with a landing pad would work well there. I don’t think though past that there is any need for navel aircraft