The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks All-time First 2 Fantasy lines

Rate this topic

alucard

48 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I agree, Petey's first two seasons are MUCH better than Henrik's.  By the same token, not that much better than Trevor Linden's.  And I do predict a very impressive career for Elias.  Possibly a Hall of Fame career.  But a lot of things can happen.  After three seasons, Barry Pederson was basically a guarantee for the Hall of Fame going forward...until his shoulder fell apart.  Yeah I didn't mean to be rough on the guy...just that I've seen a lot of things happen to a lot of players.

Joe Juneau is one of maybe a half dozen players ever to get 100 points in his rookie year.  Then...a Brendan Morrison sort of career.  Certainly a good career but nothing close to what would have been expected after year one, where he was in the lofty company of Hawerchuk, Lemieux and Selanne.  Tim Kerr was a lock for the Hall of Fame and then his body gave out before he could play quite enough games.  We've had two other Calder winners in recent memory in Tyler Myers and Andrew Raycroft.  Myers is a decent player, Raycroft is a $2000 Jeopardy question.  Our first pick ever, Dale Tallon, set the all time NHL record for points by a rookie defenseman and had a good second year as well...he was looking as good as Hughes is now.  Most Vancouver fans only know him as the guy who wasn't Gilbert Perreault.

I agree with most of what you have said. You have to take into account that the late 80s was a different time. It was a high scoring wild brand of hockey. Defence and systems were not as honed. Lemieux won the scoring race in Linden's rookie season with 199 points, we have not seen such lofty totals for a long time now. The Canuck's top players now are scoring in the 60s and 70s, and we take that as good - in the late 80s, average at best. The league scoring leaders the past 5 year have all been around the 100 -110 level (with the exception of Kucherov with 128 in 2018-2019). It's apples and oranges. As with my crystal ball mention, yes you never know what can happen. But barring injury I still believe Petey will become our best center ever. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Yes.  The Sedin’s could score many different ways.   So could Bure.  
But Bure played an aggressive, speed based games that even some of the best skater today would have a hard time keeping up with, let alone the Sedins. 

Agree. Also, with Bure's hands and shot, he would be able to finish a lot of the chances that Burrows or even Daniel weren't able to finish. 

These things are fun to think about.

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I agree, Petey's first two seasons are MUCH better than Henrik's.  By the same token, not that much better than Trevor Linden's.  And I do predict a very impressive career for Elias.  Possibly a Hall of Fame career.  But a lot of things can happen.  After three seasons, Barry Pederson was basically a guarantee for the Hall of Fame going forward...until his shoulder fell apart.  Yeah I didn't mean to be rough on the guy...just that I've seen a lot of things happen to a lot of players.

Joe Juneau is one of maybe a half dozen players ever to get 100 points in his rookie year.  Then...a Brendan Morrison sort of career.  Certainly a good career but nothing close to what would have been expected after year one, where he was in the lofty company of Hawerchuk, Lemieux and Selanne.  Tim Kerr was a lock for the Hall of Fame and then his body gave out before he could play quite enough games.  We've had two other Calder winners in recent memory in Tyler Myers and Andrew Raycroft.  Myers is a decent player, Raycroft is a $2000 Jeopardy question.  Our first pick ever, Dale Tallon, set the all time NHL record for points by a rookie defenseman and had a good second year as well...he was looking as good as Hughes is now.  Most Vancouver fans only know him as the guy who wasn't Gilbert Perreault.

You weren't. The points you raised were fair points.

It's not a sure thing for EP to surpass Henrik. Henrik achieved something that no one in this franchise achieved over 50 years. There's a reason why only he alone has achieved what he achieved (MVP, scoring title, 1000+ points, ironman streak, etc etc).

But EP is on the right trajectory to get there and surpass him as you seem to agree. If (and when) he does, there will be a cup in Vancouver and that's all that matters.

Edited by khay
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I would do as follows:

Naslund-Pettersson-Bertuzzi
Miller-Linden-Bure

Sedin-Sedin-Smyl

Gelinas-Kesler-Mogilny

If you’re talking about actual lines however that happened:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi

Adams-Linden-Bure

Gelinas-Ronning-Mogilny

Almo, after Bure went down, carried the team on his back for about 10-12 games and finally gassed out but while he did, some super slick goals! I remember that well, Bill Good senior did an interview after it.. after that, when he went into a bit of a slump and was so critized over it you could tell he lost heart and never played the same.

Anyway Almo, beside Bure and Petterson.. wow! 

I'd stack that up against almost anyone..  

• Cheers 1

Some good ones out there for sure.  I'm going to go with

D. Sedin   H.Sedin   Bertuzzi       (although I wonder what Tanti in his prime would do with the Sedins)

Linden     Pettersson    Bure        (I realize Linden never really played the left side but he'd be playing a lot in the middle too like Miller now)

Hughes   Ohlund  (credit to @drummerboyfor that idea)

Edler       Lumme

McLean

Luongo

• Cheers 1

Honorary mention, I know that they didn't put up lofty numbers but made a huge impact

Torres Lapierre Hansen

No line was more consistent in our 2011 run from tip to tail than that line. Vigneult rode that line hard and showed up where it matters most, in the finals. Probably the best 3rd line franchise history, no contest

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Honorary mention, I know that they didn't put up lofty numbers but made a huge impact

Torres Lapierre Hansen

No line was more consistent in our 2011 run from tip to tail than that line. Vigneult rode that line hard and showed up where it matters most, in the finals. Probably the best 3rd line franchise history, no contest

Great observation.

Although I’d challenge that Malhotra centering that line was superior. 

10 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Almo, after Bure went down, carried the team on his back for about 10-12 games and finally gassed out but while he did, some super slick goals! I remember that well, Bill Good senior did an interview after it.. after that, when he went into a bit of a slump and was so critized over it you could tell he lost heart and never played the same.

Anyway Almo, beside Bure and Petterson.. wow! 

I'd stack that up against almost anyone..  

Mogilny’s 95-96 season is one of the most underrated and under appreciated Canucks seasons of all-time.   Management really let him down in my opinion which caused Almo to become a floater after that season.  

My only concern with Bure and Mogilny on the same line, is that there would be little to no defense.  Whoever were to center the two Russians would have his defensive work cut out for him.  

A Superstar Canucks line-up with meaningful roles:  

This thread has gotten me thinking and so I want to give this one more go:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Naslund-Pettersson-Bertuzzi

Mogilny-Linden-Bure

Miller-Kesler-Smyl

Horvat

Edler-Reinhart

Hughes-Bieksa

Ohlund-Salo

Jovanovski

Luongo

McLean

The Kesler line would be your match-ups line, while the Russian line and the modified WCE would go up against the 2nd and 3rd lines of other teams in order to light them up offensively while not being as exposed defensively.   

Idea #2:  An actual “team” - taking the above and taking it to a greater extreme:

Naslund-Pettersson-Bure

Sedin-Sedin-Bertuzzi
Miller-Horvat-Smyl

Burrows-Kesler-Linden

Mogilny

Edler-Reinhart

Hughes-Bieksa

Ohlund-Salo

Jovanovski

Luongo

McLean

It almost seems goofy that I’d have Mogilny as the 13th forward, but that’s what I’d do.  That entire bottom 6 for the Canucks would be insanely good.  Loaded with sandpaper, strong defensive play, leadership, and every single guy having the ability to put the puck in the net.   All of those bottom 6 guys could play up and down the line-up and could play in any role.  The twins and Bertuzzi, in their primes, would have tremendously compatible styles, while Pettersson’s high IQ, skill, playmaking abilty, and defensive play would be able to get the most out of Naslund and Bure.   I picked Naslund over Mogilny here since Naslund is a natural LW.

Truth be told, Mogilny would probably be a better fit on that Pettersson line than Bure (better defensively and a better playmaker), but Bure is more clutch.  That Pettersson and Sedin line would destroy opposing secondary lines while our bottom 6 would take on the tougher match ups.  

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Torres Lapierre Hansen

I don't know.  I think the third line was Courtnall - Craven - Lafayette for the 1994 run.

Adams – Linden – Bure

Momesso – Ronning – Gelinas

Courtnall – Craven – Lafayette

Antoski – McIntyre – Hunter

Courtnall and Craven have over 600 goals and 1500 points between them.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

A Superstar Canucks line-up with meaningful roles:  

Idea #2:  An actual “team” - taking the above and taking it to a greater extreme:

Naslund-Pettersson-Bure

Sedin-Sedin-Bertuzzi
Miller-Horvat-Smyl

Burrows-Kesler-Linden

Mogilny

Edler-Reinhart

Hughes-Bieksa

Ohlund-Salo

Jovanovski

Luongo

McLean

Out of all of my suggestions, I think this one above is my favourite and most complete due to the bottom 6.    Defense, leadership, sandpaper, can play anywhere in the line-up, and can all contribute offensively while playing a 200 foot game.   That Sedin line and Pettersson line would have a field day with other teams' bottom 6 players while our other two lines took on all the toughest match-ups.   Our special teams (BOTH PP and PK) would be incredible.   

On defense, I *might* use Hamhuis or Mitchell instead of Jovocop due to their defensive prowess, but I’d still likely use Jovo as he’d be our only other guy besides Hughes that could really move the puck from the back end (or flat out carry it out with conviction).

Im also only picking Luongo over Markstrom because I’m using my heart.   Luongo, when he’s on, is and was our most talented goalie (see 2006-2007 series against Dallas), and McLean could always come in and take over if Luongo had one of his off nights.

That team above would quietly be one of the toughest teams in the league.

40 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I didn't read them all, but for me, the WCE stays intact.

Sedin - Sedin - Bure

Nazzy - Mo - Bert

Morrison was a fine player but I don't know how anyone wouldn't trade him for Linden, Gradin, Sundstrom or Ronning in the middle.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Morrison was a fine player but I don't know how anyone wouldn't trade him for Linden, Gradin, Sundstrom or Ronning in the middle.

It's more about the line chemistry. It doesn't always work just plugging player "b" into a line that was already working. I was okay with Bure and the twins because those two never actually had a pure sniper on their wing, but they made some pretty average guys look like snipers. I think that line would absolutely kill it....

That being said, if we're concerned about defense, probably none of Nazzy, Mo or Bert make the list. It would look more like Trev, Bo and Steamer.....(which would have been a good third or fourth line, IMO)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Mogilny’s 95-96 season is one of the most underrated and under appreciated Canucks seasons of all-time.   Management really let him down in my opinion which caused Almo to become a floater after that season.  

My only concern with Bure and Mogilny on the same line, is that there would be little to no defense.  Whoever were to center the two Russians would have his defensive work cut out for him.  

In a sense yes, in another sense no.. an all in offence can be offset by a really good play reading Dman, funny thing was before Bure went down, he and Almo had started to click with some time together on the PP but after Pavel got hurt, it all went south.. ugh.. and the other thing is having a young nasty Mark Messier type who would go and pick retrieve by force and feed Gretz or Kurri... 

Past that? No idea but yeah having a Horvat type of player would work pretty well too I imagine, i.e. your D minded center you mentioned 

• Cheers 1

The key to this exercise - build a tremendous bottom 6 and the team will follow:  

One thing that I’ve noticed with a lot of the lineups being created on here (including mine), is that posters are building Canuck all-star teams without taking match up lines, or stylistic fits into consideration.  For example, Bure with the twins, or putting Bure and Mogilny on a line together, followed by a twins line and WCE line.   That’s all well and good, but true teams will still keep attention to detail.   Think for example, how Yzerman built those Gold Medal winning Canadian teams. 

So, without the risk of sounding like I’m speaking from a high horse (I’m not), instead of trying to build the most talented top 9, I’d focus on building the best bottom 6 (I.e. solid two way 200 foot players that can put the puck in the net, provide leadership, sandpaper, play up and down the line-up, and can play any role), so that whatever top 6 you create can easily have a field day with secondary lines.

• Like 1