The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Travis Dermott

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Killing their chances at a cup yes.

We'll see.

They've add nice elements to their team that they haven't had before, at least not since Dubas took over.  If they manage to add Perry/Weegar/both, their lineup is suddenly looking fairly strong.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

We'll see.

They've add nice elements to their team that they haven't had before, at least not since Dubas took over.  If they manage to add Perry/Weegar/both, their lineup is suddenly looking fairly strong.

Could you imagine a bottom line of Spezza - Thornton - Perry?? That’d be the “Expendables” line, past-their-prime pros looking to cash it, the ultimate name-drop line!! hahahahahaha 

• Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Ah, the leafs forum is that a way. 

Raising middle finger relays information, judge rules in case of man  accused of breaching no-contact order | Brantford Expositor

:canucks::towel:

A family site that allows pictures of middle fingers to be used a response against users?

Not surprised the mods "missed" this.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Could you imagine a bottom line of Spezza - Thornton - Perry?? That’d be the “Expendables” line, past-their-prime pros looking to cash it, the ultimate name-drop line!! hahahahahaha 

Well signing on super cheap $700k deals doesn’t suggest “cashing it” at all.  It suggests giving up cash to win.  Bottom feeding teams would have paid them more just for name recognition to fans.

I wouldn’t want to play against that line and they would do pretty well matching up with most 4th lines in the league.  They would certainly produce well beyond their $2.1 million total price tag.  78 points total last year between them (26 points average).  If they were on a line together this year they probably beat that production.

Don't mistake them being well past their prime with not still being capable NHLers.  

Really though, it is pretty obvious they were signed for culture reasons and not just for on ice performance... much like we signed Sundin back in the day.  

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well signing on super cheap $700k deals doesn’t suggest “cashing it” at all.  It suggests giving up cash to win.  Bottom feeding teams would have paid them more just for name recognition to fans.

I wouldn’t want to play against that line and they would do pretty well matching up with most 4th lines in the league.  They would certainly produce well beyond their $2.1 million total price tag.  78 points total last year between them (26 points average).  If they were on a line together this year they probably beat that production.

Don't mistake them being well past their prime with not still being capable NHLers.  

Really though, it is pretty obvious they were signed for culture reasons and not just for on ice performance... much like we signed Sundin back in the day.  

How much did we pay Sundin to play here?

Was it 10 million? 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

How much did we pay Sundin to play here?

Was it 10 million? 

Yep... and if you ask Kesler and the Sedins, they gush about what a positive impact it was on them to play with him.   

I think the same idea is behind Jumbo on the Leafs.  Instant respect in the locker room, and maybe their younger players will be more focussed.  Heck, if they signed Perry... a little Corey Perry rubbing off on them wouldn’t hurt at all.  Everyone hated playing against him but wanted him on their team.

edit:  I maybe could have formed the sentence better than “Corey Perry rubbing off on them”.... but either meaning could be equally accurate, so I will leave it...

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I think he is 'killing it' this offseason, but that's definitely not the norm from his tenure lol.

Yes.

The timing of the Tavares signing was suspect, especially since the team didn't have their other core pieces locked up.  I don't think it's a surprise that their best playoff showings were in 2017 and 2018 as they had much more depth in their forward and defence groups compared to 2019 and 2020.

They're slowly getting back to a deeper team with the moves they're making this year.  Let's see if it pays off.