The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames Sign Josh Leivo

24 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

He did have an opportunity here, but sometimes it's best to move on as well. That might have been it more than being rubbed the wrong way. This was definitely a different offseason than most though, both compacted and limited in actual dollars by Covid. Some are bound to not like the result.

Benning wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't look for UFA deals that made sense to improve the team. In the case of Tanev and Stecher, they definitely knew they were going to be difficult to fit in with cap issues and the like. Leivo knew he was on the edge of being in the lineup on a given night.

As far as going where they were wanted, that is a pretty common phrase said in interviews for a new team. The Canucks had all year to talk with them, and surely had exploratory talks where they knew roughly what both Tanev and Stecher wanted, Even Leivo. Covid changed the narrative a bit to make that even tighter, but going from that to having teams actively pursue you in free agency can definitely feel like being more wanted.

Except cap was not the issue.

They fit in Schmidt at 5.9 mil and had money for a Virtanen.

They could have easily fit Tanev and Stecher if they wanted to retain them. Benning showed from the begging when trying to acquire OEL that those two were not going to be in his plans.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, the harry said:

Well, Benning said very early, that resigning Marky had priority. So Tanev, Stecher and Leivo all knew that was time for a change. Or at least their agents.

For sure Markstrom is one he wanted to get done. But that contract also had those most restraints.

I think as soon as 6 years and a NMC was the demand Benning knew he wasn’t getting it done.

I think the other 3 he was much more willing to walk away from.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If that’s true it comes back to players feeling like they’re wanted.

Benning probably “circled” back to Leivo after other deals didn’t pan out.

If he really wanted Leivo he would have made it work.

wadr, are you inferring that the Flames did no such circling themselves? That the signing of Leivo was their priority and no other relatively low hanging free agent forwards were higher up on their list? I’m not sure your “ “ is suggesting a lack of business acumen or a lack of compassion for the player.

10 minutes ago, zimmy said:

wadr, are you inferring that the Flames did no such circling themselves? That the signing of Leivo was their priority and no other relatively low hanging free agent forwards were higher up on their list? I’m not sure your “ “ is suggesting a lack of business acumen or a lack of compassion for the player.

I think the writing was on the wall when we signed Hawryluk that even if Leivo did come back he wouldn’t have the same opportunity.

Calgarys depth looks weaker, I think he saw a better opportunity there.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think the writing was on the wall when we signed Hawryluk that even if Leivo did come back he wouldn’t have the same opportunity.

Calgarys depth looks weaker, I think he saw a better opportunity there.

Very true. Agree with all your points but you must know that this particular non signing is, to some degree, fuelling yet another chapter in the continuing saga of JBGM incompetence. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Except cap was not the issue.

They fit in Schmidt at 5.9 mil and had money for a Virtanen.

They could have easily fit Tanev and Stecher if they wanted to retain them. Benning showed from the begging when trying to acquire OEL that those two were not going to be in his plans.

Benning had his priorities and there was only so much money to go around. 

Defense was the biggest deficiency and he really needed to fix that.  Check.

All the others would have been nice to have but there were limits.  Markstrom was the next priority but still a nice to have and we see where pushing too hard got Marky.  Toffoli would have been nice too but all of these players needed to take a pay cut to make it work and none were willing initially.  Other than Markstrom, they all ended up taking less than they made last year.  Toffoli 4.8 >> 3.25 year over year, AAV 4.6 >> 4.25, Leivo 1.5 >> 875. Tanev 5.25 >> 3.5 year over year even though his AAV went up 50K, Domingue 1.15 >> 700/450 on a 2-way.  The market has really fallen back.

5 hours ago, mll said:

Not all teams carry a 23 player roster.  It allows them to continue to bank cap space.  Same idea but where teams could be officially allowed to keep the players with the team rather than send them physically to the AHL.  

Only 1.075M can be buried on non ELC contracts.  Toronto can use that strategy at home regardless whether teams can have extra cap exempt players or not, as the Marlies are also in Toronto.

With a healthy Ferland the Canucks are cap compliant with a roster of 21.

Yeah i get that. I suppose it is likely that we will be in some form of bubbles all year, next year. 

And is the AHL officially disbanded for next year? Are agreements nullified. 

That aside. You would think we still need a break. 

I am sorry but if Calgary signed him for under 1 million that is a great deal??? I support Jim Benning and his mistakes at start and the very good moves he has made in last 2 yrs, drafting 'B" grade!!!! 

I am not happy about Leivo signing......

Leivo 6'2, 195,  - Really like the grit he plays with and he can play in top 6 with injuries and solid 3rd line guy...

So disappointed  we could not resign Leivo...I see him as 15 Goals -- 35 points - 13 mins -- 75 games... Very gritty solid 200 foot game..

Great signing Calgary Flames...Big depth signing....

Markstrom -- Signing glad we never signed him to 6 yrs NT X 6 million too much..-- Only played good for last 1.5 years?? Last 3 yrs of this contract will hurt Calgary..

Tanev -- Glad we never signed 4.5 million X 4 yrs  Crazy signing... He will be hurt contract will hurt Calgary will play maybe 55-60 games...

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I am sorry but if Calgary signed him for under 1 million that is a great deal??? I support Jim Benning and his mistakes at start and the very good moves he made in last 2 yrs, drafting 'B" grade!!!! 

I am not happy about Leivo signing......

Leivo 6'2, 195,  - Really like the grit he plays with and he can play in top 6 with injuries and solid 3rd line guy...

So disappointed  we could not resign Leivo...I see him as 15 Goals -- 35 points - 13 mins -- 75 games... Very gritty solid 200 foot game..

Great signing Calgary flames...Big depth signing....

He shattered his kneecap there is a high probability he doesn't return to form next season. I like Leivo too buuut we're at 15 fwds without Hawrluk and Lind on the roster. and likely Hoglander and or Podkolzin being available towards the end of the season.  Sooo even if Ferland goes to LTIR and JB manages to offload 1 or both of Sutter Eriksson we still don't have room for Leivo.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Whalespray said:

He shattered his kneecap there is a high probability he doesn't return to form next season. I like Leivo too buuut we're at 15 fwds without Hawrluk and Lind on the roster. and likely Hoglander and or Podkolzin being available towards the end of the season.  Sooo even if Ferland goes to LTIR and JB manages to offload 1 or both of Sutter Eriksson we still don't have room for Leivo.

Yes I hear you, just really liked his game but we do have lots of forward...Podkolzin might be ready to sign with us by March...Thats very exciting..

Hoglander might need some tie to adjust..... 

Future is bright and exciting in Vancouver....Really do like the way this team plays and moves we made so far..Not spending money crazy...

The Schmidt signing was so awesome..This D man with help transition really makes top 4 better...Plays big mins 22--24 minute guy..very exciting...

Holdby great signing, goalie coach Clark with get his game back again top 15 goalie..

Virtanen -- Interview sounds promising training with Myers in Kelowna -- Maybe we will see new Jake? That would be amazing with his speed rushing to net causing havoc around net...

Keep Good work up Jim Benning and group  like the direction of the team ....

Edited by wildcam
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Whalespray said:

I’m not the least surprised JB did not re-sign Leivo. Leivo was given more chances than Jake to earn his spot on the team and never made much of an impact. The real telling thing was how little we missed him after he was injured. 
On a side note some over at CP have him penciled for their top six. Not to mention one poster saying he liked the signing because it made the Canucks weaker. Lol. 

7 hours ago, EdgarM said:

You do realize that you are saying that minor leaguers are going to take over our NHL roster right?

Baer couldn't make the team last year so all of a sudden he is going to knock out NHLer's this year? I have no doubt that some of our prospects are going to get their chance to play some NHL games but I don't think they are all of a sudden going to take over some regular NHLer's like Jake, who coincidentily just signed a new deal I might add. 

We are getting bigger and stronger and building this team with character and sorry but Baer does not fit that bill. He was given his chance and he failed. 

He is depth, and I use that word loosely, as is , I can't believe I am saying this, Ericsson. They are not part of our core. Leivo would of fell in that category as well. Some people cal them "depth"  I actually call them "plugs" as they are only filling spots until our core is completed. 

JB knows what he is doing so I am confident he will field the best team he thinks will be successful both in the short term and in the long term. 

In reference to Jake and Gaudette, I'm talking about fit not replacing them, I thought that was obvious. Looking at the roster if no changes are made who do you see being added to the top six? LE had that spot over Jake last season and the team is trying to develop AG as a centre and so with TT, Leivo, and Ferland doubtful that's 3 open spots to fill. Let's say Beagle- Motte- Sutter on the 4th,  AG- Jake- Rousell on the third. Leaves LE, Baer, Zac Joyce Hogs without a spot with only a top six and 13th forward spots open. IMO Jake isn't a fit in our top six, and LE while good defensively brings nothing to our top six and politics as they are will have him in Utica in hopes he doesnt report.

This hatred that so many have for Baer is silly. He has put up 2nd line numbers every season here and was over a ppg in Utica. He was useless as a 3rd liner but to my original point, we have a spot in the top six open and the one thing especially the 2nd line lacks is a playmaker. 

Who out of all the options is a better fit in the top six?  For you to call Baer a minor leaguer is disingenious, since he's put up better numbers than our entire bottom six and is similar to Pearson as a Nuck are they minor leaguers to?

I've always supported our GM and coach but Sven was put in an unwinnable position by Green by expecting a top-six or bust player to be a third line player.

To your point about size, I see a team with a top six full of skill, not size.  I see a third line with more skill then size and a 4th line with that giant Motte.

But ya I guess since we signed Zac the teams being built on size.

I do think Benning wants big good skaters on D based on this last draft but he also I obviously values skill, based on Quinn and Rathbone. 

Not trying to start an argument but Benning not buying Sven out while letting Leivo walk seems to point to Baer at the very least getting a shot and if guys like Joyce, Zac and possibly Hogs(doubtful) play better and Jake takes the top six spot then ya Baer won't be with the big club but I think he gets at least a look in the top six. 

Sorry to see Leivo go. He would be a good bottom six LW. This being said, where would he play on this team (assuming no injuries, etc) other than starting in the AHL?

I don't see that Leivo would be playing ahead of Miller, Pearson or Motte. He might slot in on the 4th line ahead of Baertschi, Eriksson, Ferland or Roussel.

Does Leivo play ahead of Hoglander or Hawryluk, who are already being inked into positions by some?

regards,  G.

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Well in the Flames case it’s a hoedown and they’re probably cousins.

We would have taken Leivo to a fancy ball!

Is that kind of like, if a man and woman from (insert place here) get a divorce, are they still legally brother and sister?

regards,  G.

13 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I was annoyed he bailed on the RTP but as of now he's not  being blocked by TT or Ferland, plus like you pointed out this is a contract year. If the team wants him in the fold there is no scenario where Baer would rather be in Utica over building up his value. He is top six or bust tho so if we somehow move LE or Sutter to sign Hoffman then it's moot but if Jake and Gaudette are his competition for the top six then he has a decent chance.

We have to fill TT, Ferland and LE's spot. So 3 of Zac, Jayce, Baer, Hogs and maybe Lind

I still think Benning has options on the table for Sutter and LE and Hoffmans camp has agreed to wait till Benning chooses who to ship out.

Other than Boston, the teams interested in him don't need to clear any cap so him not signing yet seems strange, the guy is a legit 1st liner. Baer might not be the first option but he's a very good playmaker who so far has been better than Jake in a top six role.

Or knowing Benning, he pulls off another shocking trade that nobody saw coming, ala JT and Nate trades.

19 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

In reference to Jake and Gaudette, I'm talking about fit not replacing them, I thought that was obvious. Looking at the roster if no changes are made who do you see being added to the top six? LE had that spot over Jake last season and the team is trying to develop AG as a centre and so with TT, Leivo, and Ferland doubtful that's 3 open spots to fill. Let's say Beagle- Motte- Sutter on the 4th,  AG- Jake- Rousell on the third. Leaves LE, Baer, Zac Joyce Hogs without a spot with only a top six and 13th forward spots open. IMO Jake isn't a fit in our top six, and LE while good defensively brings nothing to our top six and politics as they are will have him in Utica in hopes he doesnt report.

This hatred that so many have for Baer is silly. He has put up 2nd line numbers every season here and was over a ppg in Utica. He was useless as a 3rd liner but to my original point, we have a spot in the top six open and the one thing especially the 2nd line lacks is a playmaker. 

Who out of all the options is a better fit in the top six?  For you to call Baer a minor leaguer is disingenious, since he's put up better numbers than our entire bottom six and is similar to Pearson as a Nuck are they minor leaguers to?

I've always supported our GM and coach but Sven was put in an unwinnable position by Green by expecting a top-six or bust player to be a third line player.

To your point about size, I see a team with a top six full of skill, not size.  I see a third line with more skill then size and a 4th line with that giant Motte.

But ya I guess since we signed Zac the teams being built on size.

I do think Benning wants big good skaters on D based on this last draft but he also I obviously values skill, based on Quinn and Rathbone. 

Not trying to start an argument but Benning not buying Sven out while letting Leivo walk seems to point to Baer at the very least getting a shot and if guys like Joyce, Zac and possibly Hogs(doubtful) play better and Jake takes the top six spot then ya Baer won't be with the big club but I think he gets at least a look in the top six. 

I don't know why you re saying we need to replace TT, Ferlund and Leivo as TT replaced Boeser when he was out and Leivo and Ferlund were pretty much injured the whole season. 

You said yourself Baer was not very good defensively hence his inability to move from the MINORS to the NHL last year. I believe he was given a brief audition last year and failed and went back to the MINORS. If he is as great as you think he is he would have stayed in the NHL. 

Yes Baer is good offensively but he is not great and if you play soft and you don't play well defensively, you better be scoring at alot higher pace then Baer has the ability to. He is a very one dimensional and hence a hindrance to the overall team performance, his offense does not outway his defensive deficiencies. 

Your idea of what the bottom two lines are going to look like as Sutter is our third liner and not on the fourth. Jake is ahead of Gaud in development and so Jake will probably see top 6 minutes a little bit more then Gaud will. Gaud will probably move back and forth from Center to Wing alongside Sutter to develope hid NHL game further.

Very rarely does a Rookie jump in to a regular spot on the big team so the ones you mentioned will probably get spot duty as injuries occur throughout the season.