The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Senators re-sign Chris Tierney

I think that's pretty good value for Tierney.  He's a very solid middle-6 center and can play on the PK.

I really do think that the Senators should be a fun team to watch next season.  Brady Tkachuk instantly makes them a pain in the rear to play against, and they have much better depth throughout their line-up than last season.  If Brannstrom can make the jump this season, then that will give the Senators two solid puck-moving D in Chabot and Brannstrom.  They also have a large amount of young talent that could make the jump full-time next season (e.g. Batherson, Brown, Norris, etc.).

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Me want cookie(Tierney). 

He what we want Gaudette to be already and 26(18 months older). 

Exactly CM.

Roussel, Gaudette and a B prospect? 

Unlike a cookie, I doubt they bite on it though. They rightfully seem to like him.  

Our C lineup would be drool worthy though...*sigh*

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I want so bad. 

Yep, a good fit.  We need a solid 2 way guy who can PK and has enough skill to pot in a few points.  Gaudette says he wants to play like Bergeron, but he just doesn't have the defensive chops yet to suit what we need.

As much as Tyler Johnson is overpaid nowadays, I would have been happy if we swung a deal where we got something to take him on.  Same sort of mold where he could fit that 3C spot.

29 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I’m not a Jake fan but it makes our signing look like a bargain in comparison:

Chris Tierney 26yrs

3.5M per
11goals, 26 assist, minus 6

71 games

Jake Virtanen 24yrs

2.5M per

18 goals, 18 assists, minus 4

69 games

How's this for cherry picked stats:

Tierney 41.6% OZ starts

Virtanen 52%

Tierney 2 PP points

Virtanen 9 PP points

One of these things is not like the other. I could provide another 10 stats to prove this point.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Exactly CM.

Roussel, Gaudette and a B prospect? 

Unlike a cookie, I doubt they bite on it though. They rightfully seem to like him.  

Our C lineup would be drool worthy though...*sigh*

Eh it would probably take a decent amount. He wouldn’t be a player I’d want to give up even as a rebuilding team. 

He is almost a Kadri-level C. You could argue that he’s there already TBH. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Chris Tierney 26yrs

3.5M per

71 games

Jake Virtanen 24yrs

2.5M per

69 games

Tierney is a way better player. 

• Cheers 4

48 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And that would be why just looking at stats doesn't tell you much about a player. 

Tierney is a lot better than Virtanen. Plays match up, pk's and wins face offs (and obviously plays a more valuable position). He also put those numbers up, playing those harder minutes/situations on a crap, basement team.

Ya I don’t know much about him. I’ll take your word for it.

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Chris Tierney 26yrs

3.5M per

71 games

Jake Virtanen 24yrs

2.5M per

69 games

When you are using stats to compare Virtanen against a defensively responsible, centerman playing on one of the worst team in the league last season you know you have lost. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

When you are using stats to compare Virtanen against a defensively responsible, centerman playing on one of the worst team in the league last season you know you have lost. 

Like I said. I don’t know much about this guy. That’s the point of having these discussions. You obviously claim to know plenty so thanks for your input and stop being a douche.

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Would you elaborate on that particular point? You seem to know about the player.

He is a good PKer. Good on faceoffs  Defensively responsible. Plays a defensive role but pitches in offensively. 

He’s what we we pray to the hockey gods for what Gaudette becomes and he’s only 2 years older. Less of a goal scorer though. 

On a good team he can probably put up 40-45 points consistently eating up the harder minutes. 

Former London Knight and Horvat teammate. Was the Captain there with Bo being the assistant. 

If we were wanting to lock up our top 3 Cs for a while he would of been a good target. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

And that would be why just looking at stats doesn't tell you much about a player. 

Tierney is a lot better than Virtanen. Plays match up, pk's and wins face offs (and obviously plays a more valuable position). He also put those numbers up, playing those harder minutes/situations on a crap, basement team.

Agree, good signing by ottawa ...and he is better than jake