The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes' 'top' (4th round) draft pick of 2020 was a convict four years ago for bullying.

Rate this topic

Dazzle

After all these recent events....  we still haven't and probably never will hear from Miller or his loving mom about what they have learned, what they are sorry for... it was very sad to see from various reports that his mom still maintained that the victim's family was being exaggerating... which makes it real hard for the rest of us to believe in giving second chances.

But I sure hope he'll become a better man from all this!! He might even make a legal name change for the sake of his future career!! 

23 minutes ago, ThePointblank said:

I wonder what sort of information UND had at the time they made their original decision.

If all they had to make a decision was based off of what Miller told them, plus maybe some people from his junior league that had good impressions on him, I can see how the original decision came about. 

But if they knew everything from the start, that is a bigger issue. 

Willing to bet he lied to them just as he did to Arizona.

Going forward, this kind of character issue should be forwarded to the league and made freely available to all teams.

I don’t condone what this kid did and as a young offender there should have consequences. 

however there’s an opportunity to teach and promote change, yes what was done is unacceptable but destroying this young man life for mistakes he made as what is legally a child Is equally disturbing.

Education is the path to change. 
both parties are now Victims of Our flawed system and culture. 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 3
  • Upvote 1

Now that this thing has reached some sort of resolution, I wonder if more good has been done by kicking this kid out of hockey as a deterrent for future offenders, or if a chance to rebab a kid has been missed and maybe him becoming a person that can do some good in the world. I honestly don't know. My wife brought up the point that there's never been a deterrent like this in hockey before and it may have far reaching effects,  but I also know that rehabbing offenders is a very important thing in a decent society. 

Whatever happens its up to this kid to make something of himself. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Now that this thing has reached some sort of resolution, I wonder if more good has been done by kicking this kid out of hockey as a deterrent for future offenders, or if a chance to rebab a kid has been missed and maybe him becoming a person that can do some good in the world. I honestly don't know. My wife brought up the point that there's never been a deterrent like this in hockey before and it may have far reaching effects,  but I also know that rehabbing offenders is a very important thing in a decent society. 

Whatever happens its up to this kid to make something of himself. 

Personally, I think this just reinforced his beliefs that were fed to him by his family.

Just now, CBH1926 said:

Personally, I think this just reinforced his beliefs that were fed to him by his family.

yeah thats probably very likely, which is where outside help, even help forced upon him (e.g., commit to counselling and a restorative justice plan) may have done some real good. Some of us are just wired wrong, but most of us learn to be $&!#ty. I don't know which one this kid is.

I do think the deterrent angle on this may do some good as well though, I'm not discounting that in the least. 

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

I don’t condone what this kid did and as a young offender there should have consequences. 

however there’s an opportunity to teach and promote change, yes what was done is unacceptable but destroying this young man life for mistakes he made as what is legally a child Is equally disturbing.

You're right in that he was a child when the incidents occurred. And because he has shown no remorse or growth since then, he still has a lot of growing up to do. And Arizona and UND have every right to cut ties with him until he does.

It's not cancel culture nor a problem with society when a team wants to cut ties with someone who they don't want representing their organization.

Every player in your organization is also an investment. And it's not a problem with cancel culture if an organization doesn't want to invest big money into a person whose character does not align with your organization's standards.

There are many paths to carving out a career in professional hockey. He isn't banned from the game for life and I don't see anyone seriously arguing that he should be.

But it's his responsibility and no one else's to turn his story around.

• Cheers 3

38 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

You do realize he isn't expelled from UND right? He can continue to get a college education there. Now he just have to do it like everyone else and get a crippling student loan and actually get a useful degree. 

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

You do realize he isn't expelled from UND right? He can continue to get a college education there. Now he just have to do it like everyone else and get a crippling student loan and actually get a useful degree. 

Well if he is there on a scholarship program he might not be able to go there.

Also if he’s not playing hockey I would imagine he chooses a school closer to home.

1 hour ago, Tracksuit said:

The school specifically said he was able to attend as a student.  How does having his parents pay for his education equate to ruining his life?  If that was my kid, he'd be attending a HBCU after a serious attitude adjustment, or he'd be paying his own way.  This wouldn't be a punishment; he simply would benefit from the experience of being surrounded by black people and culture.

Edited by King Heffy
Clarification
  • Cheers 1

Led by Coyotes, UND and USA Hockey, the hockey world failed Mitch Miller 

I’ve spoken to three current head scouts and one retired and not one of them would have picked Miller in the draft solely because of Miller’s past. One of them said he really dug in on Miller and spent hours of his time on calls with coaches and teammates who all had glowing things to say about the player. But he also interviewed Miller on more than one occasion specifically about the incident and that’s when he made the determination that Miller would be taken off their draft list. “I didn’t get the feeling there was remorse,” he said. “Now I’m not saying he’s a sociopath or psychopath, but basically he said, ‘Yeah, I did it. It was stupid, it was wrong.’ But it was more than that and you wanted to him say that he realized it was more than that.”

When the Coyotes took Miller, one scout who also decided to take Miller off his list, was surprised he went as high as he did, saying Arizona probably could have selected him lower in the draft. But he was also intrigued. “When they drafted Miller, the first thing I thought was that they had a plan,” the scout said. “I thought, ‘This is going to be interesting because there’s going to be some blowback.’ I thought, ‘They’re going to roll this in with the Hockey Diversity Alliance, they’re going to roll this in with what (Coyotes owner Alex) Meruelo and (team president Xavier) Gutierrez are doing. Wow, that gives them an advantage.’ And then nothing.”

It turns out that recruiting and drafting Mitch Miller was a mistake. The Coyotes and North Dakota not having a plan of action, then turning their backs on him, was even worse.

I honestly thought UND ran its program better than this.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

The issue is that it appears Miller's character is a big issue, and for many higher end careers, one's character can determine if you can join that profession.

It's clear from various parties that have had a chance to meet Miller and question him in depth that his character flaws preclude him from having a professional hockey career.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CallAfterLife said:

Led by Coyotes, UND and USA Hockey, the hockey world failed Mitch Miller 

I’ve spoken to three current head scouts and one retired and not one of them would have picked Miller in the draft solely because of Miller’s past. One of them said he really dug in on Miller and spent hours of his time on calls with coaches and teammates who all had glowing things to say about the player. But he also interviewed Miller on more than one occasion specifically about the incident and that’s when he made the determination that Miller would be taken off their draft list. “I didn’t get the feeling there was remorse,” he said. “Now I’m not saying he’s a sociopath or psychopath, but basically he said, ‘Yeah, I did it. It was stupid, it was wrong.’ But it was more than that and you wanted to him say that he realized it was more than that.”

When the Coyotes took Miller, one scout who also decided to take Miller off his list, was surprised he went as high as he did, saying Arizona probably could have selected him lower in the draft. But he was also intrigued. “When they drafted Miller, the first thing I thought was that they had a plan,” the scout said. “I thought, ‘This is going to be interesting because there’s going to be some blowback.’ I thought, ‘They’re going to roll this in with the Hockey Diversity Alliance, they’re going to roll this in with what (Coyotes owner Alex) Meruelo and (team president Xavier) Gutierrez are doing. Wow, that gives them an advantage.’ And then nothing.”

It turns out that recruiting and drafting Mitch Miller was a mistake. The Coyotes and North Dakota not having a plan of action, then turning their backs on him, was even worse.

I honestly thought UND ran its program better than this.

thats interesting. Sounds like a perfect storm of bad parenting and a kid with very low emotional intelligence. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Pretty awful to hear.

But then again, if people knew what some hockey teams were like when they were younger you wouldn't have many prospect options. I have heard some horror stories about parties and things that were done at the Junior A level.

Hopefully people can learn from things like this going forward. 

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He is not a victim that’s ridiculous.

He learned a valuable life lesson which was that nothing is given it’s earned. Playing in the NHL was a privilege not a right and it can be taken away.

Just like everyone else in this world they have consequences to their actions. Better he learn that lesson now, maybe it will make him a better person. 

Either way Arizona and UND have absolutely no obligation to spend massive amounts of money on his development if he doesn’t fit the kind of character person they want in their system. Kid needs to look in the mirror if he thinks he’s a victim of 

4 hours ago, ThePointblank said:

The issue is that it appears Miller's character is a big issue, and for many higher end careers, one's character can determine if you can join that profession.

It's clear from various parties that have had a chance to meet Miller and question him in depth that his character flaws preclude him from having a professional hockey career.

Huh 

I guess Patrick Roy who beat his wife had great character. His career sure suffered. 
This kid should have never disclosed this information if he was a minor when the offences occurred.young offender.

but yeah he should be crucified maybe the Chair because most young people never make bad choices. 
anyone who watched or knew about this bullying   should also lose there chosen career path And not be given a second chance. Because that make sense.

• Wat 4