Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes' 'top' (4th round) draft pick of 2020 was a convict four years ago for bullying.

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Sigh :picard:

Guess UND does support these kinds of people in their school (giving him FREE education), so long as there isn't a public outcry.

 

This kid will never learn.

I think there's some sort of policy that NCAA schools have to honour scholarships for one year if they give a player a spot on their team. No scholarship after that though. 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CallAfterLife said:

I think there's some sort of policy that NCAA schools have to honour scholarships for one year if they give a player a spot on their team. No scholarship after that though. 

If this is true, he shouldn't get the scholarship since he's been kicked out of hockey.

 

A bit off-topic. This is what I found.

 

Only about two-percent of high school athletes are awarded athletics scholarships to compete in college. Of the student-athletes participating in sports with professional leagues, very few become professional athletes. A college education is the most rewarding benefit of the student-athlete experience.

 

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/scholarships

 

This kid has had a different kind of "luck" compared to other people. Even as a disgraced athlete, he (so far) still has his scholarship intact.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dazzle said:

If this is true, he shouldn't get the scholarship since he's been kicked out of hockey.

 

A bit off-topic. This is what I found.

 

Only about two-percent of high school athletes are awarded athletics scholarships to compete in college. Of the student-athletes participating in sports with professional leagues, very few become professional athletes. A college education is the most rewarding benefit of the student-athlete experience.

 

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/scholarships

 

This kid has had a different kind of "luck" compared to other people. Even as a disgraced athlete, he (so far) still has his scholarship intact.

From the Grand Folks Herald:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/6740945-Mitchell-Miller-no-longer-a-part-of-UND-hockey-team

 

As long as Miller remains a full-time student, he will retain his scholarship for this academic year.

"Under NCAA guidelines, during the freshman year, UND must honor scholarship awards, unless there is serious misconduct during the period of the awards," a UND spokesperson said. "If a student-athlete withdraws from UND or is not enrolled full-time, it is no longer honored."

 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mll said:

From the Grand Folks Herald:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/6740945-Mitchell-Miller-no-longer-a-part-of-UND-hockey-team

 

As long as Miller remains a full-time student, he will retain his scholarship for this academic year.

"Under NCAA guidelines, during the freshman year, UND must honor scholarship awards, unless there is serious misconduct during the period of the awards," a UND spokesperson said. "If a student-athlete withdraws from UND or is not enrolled full-time, it is no longer honored."

 

I don't know whether or not he'll accept their offering though.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CallAfterLife said:

 

Supposedly SKA is interested in him. 

 

Oh Russia. Why are you stuck in the 1900s on almost every issue? 

 

So Russia should jump on with North America's SJW,  cancel culture? Ruin this kids life for being a dick at age 14?

 

This story is unbeleivably pathetic. All these teams are so worried about being branded racist for letting this kid play hockey that they all dropped him immediately. I hate this hyper sensitive, pansy culture that we're turning into. 

  • Wat 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If it was solely because he was a douchecanoe at 14, he wouldn't have even been interviewed.  He got that chance from multiple NHL teams and the consensus seems to be that he's still an absolute piece of garbage.  Being forced to get a normal job like everyone else isn't ruining his life unless you're a hype sensitive pansy.

 

So I'm the hype sensitive pansy for thinking that this situation was dealt with by everyone being sensitive pansies? 

 

OK

  • Wat 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2020 at 7:06 PM, Davathor said:

 

So Russia should jump on with North America's SJW,  cancel culture? Ruin this kids life for being a dick at age 14?

 

This story is unbeleivably pathetic. All these teams are so worried about being branded racist for letting this kid play hockey that they all dropped him immediately. I hate this hyper sensitive, pansy culture that we're turning into. 

You clearly know very little about Russia if you think they don't need to modernize numerous parts of their society. 

 

I feel like I can't state this enough. This would be a complete non-story if Mitchell Miller made amends to Isaiah Meyer-Crothers. It's pretty clear that he and his family leaked the story to the Arizona Republic and it was then picked up by bigger outlets. There's no way some journalist from a newspaper that doesn't even primarily focus on sports would bother deeply investigating a 4th round pick in one of the smallest hockey markets in the league. It's also pretty clear that Isaiah Meyer-Crothers' mother still holds a grudge by the letter she wrote to the Coyotes. 

 

This isn't about cancel culture so much as the fact that Mitchell Miller had 4 years to make things right but never bothered to do so. Had he done so perhaps the victim of his bullying wouldn't have thrown a grenade into his dreams. 

Edited by CallAfterLife
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CallAfterLife said:

This isn't about cancel culture so much as the fact that Mitchell Miller had 4 years to make things right but never bothered to do so.

Exactly this. Doing the bare minimum court order is fine, if you're not seeking employment in an area that only "the best of the best" get into. Had he not been an athlete and got a full ride scholarship to "insert school here" based on his superior academics, nothing would have occurred. But, understandably so, this situation is much different.

 

The issue is precisely because he did the bare minimum, court ordered mandate, and is a very talented athlete. One that should be going above and beyond (continued to volunteer, more apologies, etc). What's very telling is that most teenagers/children won't just do this on their own. They need, like most people, a positive nudge in order to do so. The fact that his parents didn't drive this home to him during that time is disappointing.

 

I understand parenting is hard, and it's certainly not my place to shame them. We take responsibility for our own actions and can positively influence those in our network circles to be better versions of ourselves. Unfortunately, this was lost on Mitchell Miller for most of his life and formative development years, resulting in a kid who was forced to be the victim of atrocious acts of bullying. 

Edited by Monty
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Burr 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first looked at this story my initial impression was - many 14 year olds do stupid, ignorant, damaging things - and 'should' be allowed to make amends / not pay for it for the rest of their lives =  it's even debatable whether some of this stuff - concerning minors - should be public record.   That's our conventional wisdom - people 'deserve' second chances.

 

In the end most 14 yr olds have far more 'structural' determinations in their life than they do 'agency' - so when kids act like this, it's as much (or more) to do with the context in which they live.  They are still 'responsible' - however, is it 'good' to pin them to their actions as if it's their identity - as opposed to seeing them as actions they can grow out of / beyond?  I don't think so.

 

But the legitimate question seems to remain - did it stop there?

 

It's worth reserving 'judgement' in both senses - because this particular person appears to have recognized the utility of creating appearances - while it looks entirely reasonable to question whether there has been any 'underlying' change.  If it's true that he's failed to apologize to the person he actually targeted - and continued to target him - then the rest becomes mere window dressing - could actually be seen as compounding the attacks.

 

It looks like that point gets lost in the itg projections about 'sensitive pansies' etc - and it's probably ironic that the alt/ernative reaction - the apologism for / expectation of entitlement - is every bit as 'triggered - and gets caught in ideological mindlessness - mere trigger/keywords like "cancel/SJW/etc" - left/right reverse 'cancellations' - reactionary politics - that pre-empt looking at the actual, larger context. 

 

 

Edited by oldnews
  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Apparently Armstrong wasn’t present when the coyotes did their drafting due to conflict of interest as he was recently working for the blues.

 

any same condition for Judd bracket ? Like that guy could have literally gave Minnesota our entire draft list.

Even if that happened it likely wouldn't have made a much of a difference if you looked at the order of the draft. Minnesota's third round pick was #65 and the Canucks was at #82. The Canucks then picked two spots ahead of them in the fifth round. Minnesota didn't have a fourth, sixth or seventh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...