The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes' 'top' (4th round) draft pick of 2020 was a convict four years ago for bullying.

Rate this topic

Dazzle

To go from drafting probably your future captain in Barrett Hayton to this is a complete 180. 

Even Hayton when he messed up by not taking his helmet off during the Russian anthem during the WJC he was quick to apologize.  

What’s the excuse Miller?

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 3

27 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

To go from drafting probably your future captain in Barrett Hayton to this is a complete 180. 

Even Hayton when he messed up by not taking his helmet off during the Russian anthem during the WJC he was quick to apologize.  

As much as I have heard good stuff about him, and the heart he showed in the WJC tournament, I don't 'buy' his explanation that he forgot to take it off. I'm not an elite athlete though. Maybe he did forget. To me though, it just seemed like the emotions got the best of him there.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

As much as I have heard good stuff about him, and the heart he showed in the WJC tournament, I don't 'buy' his explanation that he forgot to take it off. I'm not an elite athlete though. Maybe he did forget. To me though, it just seemed like the emotions got the best of him there.

He said that he was processing the loss and figuring out what to take away from it and didn’t even notice that he didn’t take off his helmet. He was the captain and was probably trying to figure out a way to rally the troops. 

It was a big loss at the time and he was quick to rectify the situation so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Hayton’s a hell of a player and a good leader. Dale Hunter remarked during the WJC that in the prior season before Hayton turned pro of how Hayton and the Greyhounds beat the Knights in all the games against them that year. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

This is such a complicated and controversial matter.... Do I believe in giving second chances? Yes! Did some other NHL players also commit bullying in school? Probably too!! Was Miller's on-going behaviour towards the victim totally inexcusable? ABSOLUTELY!!! 

Did Miller issue a real sincere open apology to the victim and his family?? I don't see it!!!! So the victim's family is right not to forgive him ever! 

In conclusion, the Coyotes really didn't have to select him.... what's so special about him?? What makes them so confident they can help make him a better human being?? All I know is, it would really suck to be a Coyotes fan in a market that already struggles to get fans into the building... what a PR disaster!!!! 

But the good thing is, looking at his stats, his chance of making the NHL is pretty damn slim.... and if he ever does, I hope the fans will boo him real bad... he needs to learn that there's a price to pay for being such a horrible human even though it happened some years ago.... 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He's taking the Trump approach. 

• Cheers 1

Pos punk

He can’t even apologize to the mother of the victim and only reason he admitted it is because it was caught on camera yet he can take the time to write a letter to every NHL team prior to the draft to try and ensure he can have a shot at a career. To me, that shows his true lack of character 

Arizona is a pathetic franchise for selecting him. Props to the Canucks for steering clear (like most teams did)

I hope this entitled racist bully never sees the ice in nhl and if he does I truly hope he is mercilessly destroyed game after game 

why has Bettman not stepped in?

same old nhl .... dog and pony show about diversity and inclusion yet nothing changes in this old boys club 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Cheers 3

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hopefully this guy makes amends and changes his ways. I can’t imagine his teammates will welcome him very cordially if not.

Jackson Kunz will be his teammate in 21-22. Important for our prospects to be around character people.

I wouldn’t worry about UND. Sounds like they have a really good group. In addition to Weatherby (see post above), they also have Bernard-Docker, who is a really high character kid (and I think he’s also one of the teammates that joined Weatherby in supporting recent BLM demonstrations). Their captain is also Japanese-American IIRC. It’s a lockerroom where inclusion and respect are priorities, and Miller will hopefully learn from them and become a better person, or, at the very least, fall in line quickly, and keep his opinions to himself (hopefully the former).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Don’t know if it’s already been posted, but the UND team that Miller will join next season includes a certain player named Jasper Weatherby, 22yo, and around 6’4”, 220 lbs (2018 4th round pick).

Jasper is white, but he grew up with an adopted brother, who is black.

And Jasper’s grandparents were civil rights lawyers and activists, who worked with Dr. King and marched in Selma.

Weatherby and several UND players have also been active in the current BLM movement.

So, probably safe to say that if Mitchell Miller hasn’t yet changed his ways, he’ll likely get the “help” he needs soon enough. 

Wow, the immense amount of contextual info you have is so cool. I, too, would be very curious to see where Miller aligns in this type of locker room, along with Bernard-Docker, as you mentioned in a post after this.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 2

21 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Pos punk

He can’t even apologize to the mother of the victim and only reason he admitted it is because it was caught on camera yet he can take the time to write a letter to every NHL team prior to the draft to try and ensure he can have a shot at a career. To me, that shows his true lack of character 

Arizona is a pathetic franchise for selecting him. Props to the Canucks for steering clear (like most teams did)

I hope this entitled racist bully never sees the ice in nhl and if he does I truly hope he is mercilessly destroyed game after game 

why has Bettman not stepped in?

same old nhl .... dog and pony show about diversity and inclusion yet nothing changes in this old boys club 

What is Bettman supposed to do?  Issue a Pete Rose style lifetime ban to a guy that has never played in the league for being a scumbag in junior high?

Just let the chips fall where they fall.  The guy obviously fell in the draft because of it, he'll have a harder road to the NHL because of it.  He'll be a pariah of sorts if he does make it.  But a pre-emptive lifetime ban from the commissioner?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

All I can say is that this isn’t a bad or a good thing for ARI and the times we live in.   BLM and second chances both matter, how that balances out is subjective and nobody is right or wrong.   What Miller did was an act of evil, and he might as well have been punching himself and hitting his own head against a brick wall, will carry it for the rest of his life and eventually have to explain that to his kids.   A heavy load for sure.  Nobody knows but him how he truly feels so won’t buy into why he hasn’t personally reached out, maybe it’s he just can’t confront it yet.   Can’t assume on this from lack of media data.     If I had to pick one it would be the side of forgiveness, because without that nobody ever wins and the cycle continues.   Hard to forgive, hate the sin, not the sinner and all of that.  It’s a sad story, I do wish ARI didn’t draft him and he slipped right out until next year.   That said I do understand why they did, and hope that all involved will heal over time. The only way not to be at constant effect of bad things that have happened is to forgive.  Some things seem unforgivable but this wasn’t an adult. Society pressures and upbringing play into this as well.   Definitely not a good look for ARI. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

What is Bettman supposed to do?  Issue a Pete Rose style lifetime ban to a guy that has never played in the league for being a scumbag in junior high?

Just let the chips fall where they fall.  The guy obviously fell in the draft because of it, he'll have a harder road to the NHL because of it.  He'll be a pariah of sorts if he does make it.  But a pre-emptive lifetime ban from the commissioner?

He for sure will be paying for this for a lifetime.   The only way he’s making the NHL is if he’s that good - and even then ARI will pass him on like a nuclear bomb about to explode with extra Leipsic to hide the fuse that’s lit - IF they think for a second he’s still a racist scumbag.    Kids don’t grow up racist - it’s a taught thing.