The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes' 'top' (4th round) draft pick of 2020 was a convict four years ago for bullying.

Rate this topic

Dazzle

Listening to Brian Buke on the radio this morning.  Basically said he wouldn't have drafted the guy.  As soon as he heard "mentally disabled" - strike 1.  Hint of racism - strike 2.

But he does believe in 2nd chances.  The spotlight is on the kid now.  And it will be hard and uncomfortable (as it should be).  And it's up to the kid to redeem himself.  And to a lesser extent, some spotlight on ARI for selecting him.

Edited by BPA

Honestly though...  Arizona can still survive this PR disaster by renouncing this pick in order to make a bold statement against racism and bullying!!! #BLM

But.... their management seems to have too much pride to pull this off! 

Back to the Miller story... I believe it's got a lot to do with family education.. If the parents gave some good influence in the upbringing, 80% of the time kids wouldn't turn out to be evil like that... 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Honestly though...  Arizona can still survive this PR disaster by renouncing this pick in order to make a bold statement against racism and bullying!!! #BLM

But.... their management seems to have too much pride to pull this off! 

Back to the Miller story... I believe it's got a lot to do with family education.. If the parents gave some good influence in the upbringing, 80% of the time kids wouldn't turn out to be evil like that... 

I think this thing could get turned around if the family is willing to participate in some sort of collaborative solution where the kid can face what he did and figure out a way to atone for it that does some good. AZ could facilitate that if they wanted to. It would require a lot from the family but my guess is they would do it if it meant something positive came out of all this. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

What is Bettman supposed to do?  Issue a Pete Rose style lifetime ban to a guy that has never played in the league for being a scumbag in junior high?

Just let the chips fall where they fall.  The guy obviously fell in the draft because of it, he'll have a harder road to the NHL because of it.  He'll be a pariah of sorts if he does make it.  But a pre-emptive lifetime ban from the commissioner?

Until that happens nobody will take their diversity propaganda seriously 

nfl bans players all the time 

Just now, ruilin96 said:

So in a way, the Coyotes end up without a First, second, third or fourth round pick in this year's draft?

I can understand why AZ is doing this, but it feels like a missed opportunity to take the lead and do some good. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/27/2020 at 7:25 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

Aside from the details in his story, in general the new trend to throw people away makes me bristle a bit. Social media has made us a very judgmental society with little room for redemption. Just my 2 cents. 

Is ego enough to just not apologize? Maybe people will be open to redemption if you at least make an effort to correct/admit the mistake and apologize? 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can understand why AZ is doing this, but it feels like a missed opportunity to take the lead and do some good. 

Could they have assisted in helping him grow?  Yes but I don't see how or why it's their responsibility to rehabilitate him.  

This kid has had, from all accounts, his parents, other family members, past coaches, school administrations, and peers that should/could have been there to help him if he needed it.  When it comes out that he's yet to apologize to his victim personally and his work in charity is court-mandated, this doesn't scream somebody who is remorseful or willing to learn.

He had four years to improve things and didn't.  More recently, he had draft interviews where he could have owned up to his behaviour and had a discussion where he could have demonstrated how/why he was learning and didn't.  

Maybe, the emphasis should be on him to be proactive in his learning and not on everybody else.

Edited by Alain Vigneault
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

If the Coyotes renounce the pick, that would imply they weren't aware of his past.

How did people on CDC know about this, but an NHL team (punished for cheating no less) didn't?

The Coyotes keep finding new ways to become more and more incompetent.

See the article in OP - they were aware of his past.  He also sent out a letter to all 31 teams ahead of the draft.

GM Armstrong was not able to participate in this year's draft based as part of the release agreement with St Louis.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Could they have assisted in helping him grow?  Yes but I don't see how or why it's their responsibility to rehabilitate him.  

Larger discussion, but I think it can be argued throughout history that is precisely what society has worked towards, and why society is where it is, because we help each other be the best "us" that we can be.

That said:

22 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Maybe, the emphasis should be on him to be proactive in his learning and not on everybody else.

You are correct. The onus is first and foremost on him.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Larger discussion, but I think it can be argued throughout history that is precisely what society has worked towards, and why society is where it is, because we help each other be the best "us" that we can be.

That said:

You are correct. The onus is first and foremost on him.

Of course, that's absolutely true.

To be clear, I wasn't trying to diminish the influence or importance of support systems.  I just felt that in this particular case, the individual hasn't (yet) demonstrated that he's even attempted to be better or genuinely learn beyond doing the bare minimum in terms of damage control and acknowledging this incident.

• Cheers 1

Press release: 

https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/coyotes-renounce-rights-to-mitchell-miller/c-319543540

GLENDALE, ARIZONA --- The Arizona Coyotes announced today that the club has renounced the rights to Mitchell Miller. Miller was selected by the Coyotes in the fourth round (111th overall) of the 2020 NHL Draft.

"We have decided to renounce the rights to Mitchell Miller, effective immediately," said Coyotes' President & CEO Xavier Gutierrez. "Prior to selecting Mitchell in the NHL Draft, we were aware that a bullying incident took place in 2016. We do not condone this type of behavior but embraced this as a teachable moment to work with Mitchell to make him accountable for his actions and provide him with an opportunity to be a leader on anti-bullying and anti-racism efforts. We have learned more about the entire matter, and more importantly, the impact it has had on Isaiah and the Meyer-Crothers family. What we learned does not align with the core values and vision for our organization and leads to our decision to renounce our draft rights. On behalf of the Arizona Coyotes ownership and our entire organization, I would like to apologize to Isaiah and the Meyer-Crothers family. We are building a model franchise on and off the ice and will do the right thing for Isaiah and the Meyer-Crothers family, our fans and our partners. Mr. Miller is now a free agent and can pursue his dream of becoming an NHL player elsewhere."

"I fully support our decision to renounce Mitchell Miller's draft rights," said Coyotes' General Manager Bill Armstrong. "It was a unique situation for me not being able to participate in this year's Draft and we were going through a transition with our scouting department. Mitchell is a good hockey player, but we need to do the right thing as an organization and not just as a hockey team. I'd like to apologize to Isaiah and the Meyer-Crothers family for everything they have dealt with the past few months. I wish them all the best in the future."

The Coyotes top priority is to be a leader on diversity, inclusion and equity and the club will continue to work with numerous local organizations including Best Buddies, One Step Beyond and the American Special Hockey Association to support people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. In addition, the Coyotes and the Arizona Coyotes Foundation will look to partner with local non-profit organizations fighting bullying and racism.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

Kid gets what he deserves.

a person who legitimately had remorse would have reached out to the victim and made it right a few years ago and created an established history of anti bullying community work.

He then could have publicly stated that if signed he would fund tuition for the victim to ensure they could also enjoy the benefit of a university degree.

simply put if he was truly sorry he would have secured a PR tram at least 2 years ago and had everything above planned out and public before the draft even approached.

if he had he may have found himself going late first round even. I believe in second chances but they have to take that opportunity and not sit back and wait to start not after it becomes an issue for them.

6 minutes ago, iwtl said:

Kid gets what he deserves.

a person who legitimately had remorse would have reached out to the victim and made it right a few years ago and created an established history of anti bullying community work.

He then could have publicly stated that if signed he would fund tuition for the victim to ensure they could also enjoy the benefit of a university degree.

simply put if he was truly sorry he would have secured a PR tram at least 2 years ago and had everything above planned out and public before the draft even approached.

if he had he may have found himself going late first round even. I believe in second chances but they have to take that opportunity and not sit back and wait to start not after it becomes an issue for them.

The difference between "I'm truly sorry" (and have grown/learned)

and

"I'm sorry I got caught".

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is ego enough to just not apologize? Maybe people will be open to redemption if you at least make an effort to correct/admit the mistake and apologize? 

the kid needs a learning curve, thats clear 

• Cheers 1