The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes' 'top' (4th round) draft pick of 2020 was a convict four years ago for bullying.

Rate this topic

Dazzle

Good for Arizona for doing the right thing. We can't say how much they knew beforehand, especially since Miller seemed likely to have brushed the whole thing off in his pre-draft PR release.

Hopefully he's untouchable for the rest of the league. Screw him.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Could they have assisted in helping him grow?  Yes but I don't see how or why it's their responsibility to rehabilitate him.  

This kid has had, from all accounts, his parents, other family members, past coaches, school administrations, and peers that should/could have been there to help him if he needed it.  When it comes out that he's yet to apologize to his victim personally and his work in charity is court-mandated, this doesn't scream somebody who is remorseful or willing to learn.

He had four years to improve things and didn't.  More recently, he had draft interviews where he could have owned up to his behaviour and had a discussion where he could have demonstrated how/why he was learning and didn't.  

Maybe, the emphasis should be on him to be proactive in his learning and not on everybody else.

At 14 most kids actions can be questionable and regretful in some cases.  However.... It's a parents job to help guide their child during these times and help them in developing their 'moral compass'.  Obviously his parents didn't.  Though ultimately, the responsibility for his actions are in him, his parents share much of the blame. 

I'm glade the coyotes (forced or not) took this course of action and setting a precedence going forward.  If no one had drafted him or if he was drafted in say the 7th round.... This story may not have come to light.

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Caboose said:

Good for Arizona for doing the right thing. We can't say how much they knew beforehand, especially since Miller seemed likely to have brushed the whole thing off in his pre-draft PR release.

Hopefully he's untouchable for the rest of the league. Screw him.

They were idiots at first thinking they could educate a rotten soul.. And now realized "oh crap!! All the sports media are out to get us... Better clean this up so we can have fans supporting us!! "

• Cheers 1

Yeah if the kid's not truly sorry, that's a major red flag right then and there. Had the kid realised his wrongdoings and was truly sorry about it, I would have suggested he should be given a chance to overcome his childhood. I still think that in a way, but not to the point where it would be worth it for Arizona.

• Cheers 1

I have to question AZ "doing the right thing".  It would seem that they are only renouncing him as a draft pick because of the outcry once his back story became public.  They knew full well going in (as did every other team) what the story was.  Imagine the scrambling in their management office as they try to stem the tide of poor publicity.  Bit of a joke actually.  Had there been less outcry, they would not have had a sudden awakening of moral values.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So what happened between this statement and this morning? If AZ was willing to try to guide this kid into being a decent human that should be applauded. 

Nope, seems we just write people off nowadays.  Gotta be woke....

1 minute ago, skategal said:

I have to question AZ "doing the right thing".  It would seem that they are only renouncing him as a draft pick because of the outcry once his back story became public.  They knew full well going in (as did every other team) what the story was.  Imagine the scrambling in their management office as they try to stem the tide of poor publicity.  Bit of a joke actually.  Had there been less outcry, they would not have had a sudden awakening of moral values.  

it seems to me like the best outcome would have been for the kid to actually learn something and figure out a way to atone for what he did. Now we probably are left with a very angry kid... not sure this is really the best outcome... 

2 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Nope, seems we just write people off nowadays.  Gotta be woke....

its hard to talk about getting help for the kid without being painted into a corner of apologizing for him or his actions. If AZ took him on knowing all this imo they have a responsibility to try to guide this kid. He's clearly a screwed up teenager, I worry about what someone like that is capable of given how this is going. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its hard to talk about getting help for the kid without being painted into a corner of apologizing for him or his actions. If AZ took him on knowing all this imo they have a responsibility to try to guide this kid. He's clearly a screwed up teenager, I worry about what someone like that is capable of given how this is going. 

actually, just read more into the story. Kid seems like a real POS. Good riddance. Probably loves Trump too 

But you are right, if the kid was a bully before, imagine how he'll be now....

Edited by Stelar
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Stelar said:

actually, just read more into the story. Kid seems like a real POS. Good riddance. Probably loves Trump too 

But you are right, if the kid was a bully before, imagine how he'll be now....

I'm concerned about who he hurts next if he isn't helped. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, skategal said:

If all of the teams knew the situation, the kid should have just not been drafted in the first place. Would solve a lot of problems.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

Not sure of the validity of this (found it on Twitter).   

This is from the Mother. It's from an Athletic article about Mitchell Miller that Aaron Portzline wrote here --> https://theathletic.com/2162185/2020/10/27/arizona-coyotes-mitchell-miller-bullying-nhl/

For those trying to defend Mitchell Miller, there was a second kid involved in the bullying incident. His name was Hunter McKee. He's not a hockey player. But from all accounts, he was extremely remorseful, apologized, was seen crying in court, and was ultimately forgiven by the Isaiah Meyers-Crothers and his family. Mitchell Miller did the opposite of Hunter and wasn't remorseful, never apologized, and the judge even said that Mitchell seemed more bothered that he was caught than for his actions. There's a world where Isaiah and his family write a letter to NHL teams and to The Athletic that says "Mitchell Miller was apologetic and we have forgiven him". That's not the case here. And instead this media circus has started and rightfully so. There's a victim here who has to deal with the trauma Mitchell Miller inflicted on him -- likely for the rest of his life -- and that should be what comes first.

Arizona is one of the worst run franchises in sports. They picked Mitchell Miller because they saw a 2nd round calibre player fall to the 4th round. They didn't care about culture and character. They care about value. Steve Sullivan, Xavier Guieitterez, Ryan Jankowski, Bill Armstrong, and the rest of the team who made the pick/backed him up should be ashamed of themselves. You can make an argument that UND should also be held accountable for giving Mitchell Miller a full ride scholarship too. And saying things like "we hope our culture will make him better" is so stupid. Culture is passive. It's doing the least amount of work and hoping for the best result. It's stupid and anyone who throws that out there should wear a dunce cap and sit in the corner of the classroom. If I was the owner of the Coyotes, I'd tell that entire management team they're all on thin ice. It's embarrassing what's happening and I wouldn't be shocked if we see major turnover in there front office (yet again) within the next year over stuff like this.

This pick is a slam in the face to all the work the NHL has done on anti-racism, anti-bullying so far.

One player shouldn't be this much of a distraction. The Coyotes are really digging themselves into a hole.

Coyotes suck, plain and simple.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1