The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes' 'top' (4th round) draft pick of 2020 was a convict four years ago for bullying.

Rate this topic

Dazzle

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

In my experience bullies on that level don’t tend to ever change. They just get better at pretending to be a better person.

Having that kind of character would make me question a lot of things about how he was raised and what kind of people his parents are.

He wouldn’t be the first player that wasn’t drafted because of character issues. I don’t know why the Coyotes threw away their highest pick on him. Maybe they thought the NHLs punishment wasn’t enough?

Agreed!!! Repeat racist bullies over time just don't suddenly become a saint like person.... I'm OK giving second chances to convicts in petty crimes but not to scumbags like Miller, rapists and pedophiles!! 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Not taking any responsibility away from the butthole in question but this just reeks of poor parenting, as is the case with a lot of problem children.

Breaks my heart that there are so many kids/people out there that don't get a fair chance from the start because they are born by incompetent parents 

My parents were nowhere near perfect but they at least a did a good job of teaching me how to be respectful to others and the basic difference between right and wrong.

This isn't a case of "boys being boys", the dude is straight up a piece of crap and deserves everything bad that comes his way.

Awareness changes a lot.  I pray for Miller’s soul, but don’t think this kid got it now that I know more about it.  Still hope all involved can learn to forgive as without that the effects don’t go away easily or at all and victims continue to suffer.  Some folks are just bad people.   Yes societal things work towards racism, I truly believe toddlers and little kids don’t give a crap about colour of skin and it’s a learned behaviour, but some are just rotten anyways.   ARI made a huge mistake,  they’ve payed some penance and Miller is now nuclear.   Doubt we will ever see another NHL team come near him with a ten foot pole.   With the negative publicity he might even lose his scholarship and pay for it beyond the NHL.   The optics are bad for North Dakota as well.  Sad story.   If he truly was observed bullying Isaiah again at 16, this is not a good person.  16 is too close to adulthood too ignore or make excuses for, in the Roman days 14 year olds were full centurions - now I’m digressing but this kid obviously didn’t give a crap and didn’t learn anything from his transgressions. Ugh.  Sad story. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s the thing. This wasn’t a one time oops I got too drunk and made a mistake type thing.

This was clearly a long pattern of him preying on someone weaker and basically being a racist prick.

I believe in giving second chances but he’s gotta earn this one. And so far I haven’t seen anything from him that says he has.

Well he’s starting to now for sure.   And wouldn’t be surprised if now that’s it’s out he never had a chance for a normal life.   So yes he’s going to pay for his deeds for sure.   Other then family not many folks except the bad ones would want much to do with this kid.   It’s entirely up to him at this point not only to make amends but live with what he’s done.    Sad story. 

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well he’s starting to now for sure.   And wouldn’t be surprised if now that’s it’s out he never had a chance for a normal life.   So yes he’s going to pay for his deeds for sure.   Other then family not many folks except the bad ones would want much to do with this kid.   It’s entirely up to him at this point not only to make amends but live with what he’s done.    Sad story. 

I don’t think getting punished is earning a second chance.

He’s gotta reach out to the kid he bullied in a meaningful way. Maybe volunteer with some special needs programs. Do something that shows he’s seen the error of his ways.

Theres no way in today’s climate and with the recent creation of the Hockey Diversity Alliance, that this kid wasn’t going to face to music.

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2020 at 7:25 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

Aside from the details in his story, in general the new trend to throw people away makes me bristle a bit. Social media has made us a very judgmental society with little room for redemption. Just my 2 cents. 

I couldn't agree more. Thank God I was a teen in the 90s and not now. I don't condone what the kid did but at the same time he was convicted and reprimanded and did everything the Judge specified.

I've heard some people say his apology wasn't good enough or he has shown no remorse, unless you're a part of this there is no way to know what this kid is feeling.

I believe that if he completed his sentence and did what the Judge asked him to do then society has no right to pass judgment and use cancel culture to enact their own mob mentality justice in a case that they only no about from  a 2bit news article.

What's the point of having laws? Let's just let the mob mentality decide what's a crime and what the punishment should be.  I'm sure I'll get blasted for this opinion but I am so sick and tired of cancel culture and their hypocrisy. All the people who think ruining this kids chance to earn a living because he was a POS at 14-16 even tho in the eyes of the law he has served his time and by all accounts hasn't continued this behaviour, I hope aren't living in glass houses.

The fact the Yotes took this kid and were willing to give him a shot to show if he had become a better person could have ended up with a positive ending. Instead they bowed to a mob that had zero inside knowledge that were going off an article that was meant to ignite a negative reaction.

• Wat 1

28 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I couldn't agree more. Thank God I was a teen in the 90s and not now. I don't condone what the kid did but at the same time he was convicted and reprimanded and did everything the Judge specified.

I've heard some people say his apology wasn't good enough or he has shown no remorse, unless you're a part of this there is no way to know what this kid is feeling.

I believe that if he completed his sentence and did what the Judge asked him to do then society has no right to pass judgment and use cancel culture to enact their own mob mentality justice in a case that they only no about from  a 2bit news article.

What's the point of having laws? Let's just let the mob mentality decide what's a crime and what the punishment should be.  I'm sure I'll get blasted for this opinion but I am so sick and tired of cancel culture and their hypocrisy. All the people who think ruining this kids chance to earn a living because he was a POS at 14-16 even tho in the eyes of the law he has served his time and by all accounts hasn't continued this behaviour, I hope aren't living in glass houses.

The fact the Yotes took this kid and were willing to give him a shot to show if he had become a better person could have ended up with a positive ending. Instead they bowed to a mob that had zero inside knowledge that were going off an article that was meant to ignite a negative reaction.

Not blasting you at all... you are entitled to your own opinion and you didn't say anything offensive/wrong...

But may I ask you this.... have you ever EVER suffered bullying? have you seen the sickening acts of bullying in school where the victim was just totally helpless and all others just stayed silent... ??

I teach my kids regularly that bullying is pure evil so they must never commit  anything like that... and they also gotta report to me any bullying acts either done to them or to someone else... I will then take care of this with teachers and principal... We are so blessed with today's social media, nothing can be covered up anymore.... 

To this day, the victim's mother is still feeling very hurt.... isn't that a clear indication Miller didn't do jack sh!t to help make amends??? He only wrote a letter to show his remorse to the NHL teams FFS!

Of course none of us would know how Miller really feels right now... how remorseful he really was... but could he have done a lot more way before the draft?? HELL YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So in conclusion..... it's all up to him now how he wants to be perceived the rest of his life!! 

Edited by Virtanen#18
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The judge himself said he showed no remorse and the kid's mother said he didn't apologize to the party directly affected.  No one is denying a chance to earn a living.  There many, many jobs that don't involve playing in the NHL.  He is more than welcome to find one of those. 

Good stuff!! Would you mind posting the link on what the judge said?? I'm glad this story is being discussed... it just shows our society does care!!!

3 minutes ago, Quantum said:

He'll get to make a living. Nobody is saying his life is over. His NHL dreams are over but he's still young enough to go to college, get a degree, and a good job somewhere. It just won't be as an NHL player. He won't get to make millions, potentially, as an NHL player and that should be fine with people. Hockey teams always preach about "character" and now they have to walk the walk of their talk. He's not a good character guy.

The victim's family said he didn't apologize. That's the damning part. The judge ordered him to write an apology letter to the victim and his family and Mitchell didn't do it. Instead, when it came time for the draft, he wrote a letter to NHL clubs instead apologizing for his behavior. And, from all accounts, he continued to bully the victim even after the conviction. That's why people are upset. He's shown to no remorse. And hell, even with everything going on, he still hasn't made a public apology. And a personal apology to his victim and his family. This also wasn't an isolated incident. He bullied this kid for years and the bullying he did was heinous -- the victim had to get an HIV test because of it. That's as heinous as it gets.

14 year olds do stupid $&!# all the time. Sneaking drinks, light vandalism is stuff that can be forgiven. What Mitchell Miller did was next level.

I have to wonder -- where were Mitchell's parents in all of this? Why did they let him continue playing hockey after his conviction? I know my parents would never have let me lace up my skates again if I was caught doing anything Mitchell got caught doing. There's a part of me that feels bad that Mitchell Miller was let down by his parents -- who should also take some of the blame for this -- because they clearly haven't raised this kid right since his moral compass is eschew.

The positive takeaway from this is that Mitchell Miler will be forced to reflect on what he did, face real world consequences, and hopefully atone for what he did. I hope over the next few months and years, we get news that he's made real strides as a person. It won't hurt him to take a step away from hockey for the time being. Being an NHL player should be a privilege. There's a lot of really good kids who didn't get drafted this year who could have been picked over Mitchell. What about them?

And what about Isiah? His victim. He's the one who suffered the most. Mitchell isn't a victim. How disheartening do you think it is for him to watch on as his bully potentially gets to make millions playing a game while you deal with the mental damage he inflicted on you. It's just heartbreaking to think about. Especially considering the developmental challenge's Isiah has faced all of his life. I feel bad for Isiah. Not Mitchell.

What's most likely going to happen now is that UND will drop Mitchell Miller, Mitchell Miller will end up as a random student at another University, most likely not playing hockey -- he'll get a degree -- and he'll do something non hockey related. Again, I hope this is a learning experience for Mitchell.

It's a no win scenario.

But stop defending Mitchell, he's not worth it. This isn't even cancel culture. This is people saying that Mitchell crossed the line and doesn't deserve the rewards and attention of being an NHL prospect.

Let's hope this world got more peeps like you and I.. if something ain't right, we voice it and do something about it!

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Good stuff!! Would you mind posting the link on what the judge said?? I'm glad this story is being discussed... it just shows our society does care!!!

But along with the sentencing came an unusual admonition from juvenile magistrate William Hutcheson: “Mitchell, I’m not sure you still get it,” Hutcheson said, according to courtroom reports from the Toledo Blade. “I don’t think you like being where you are. But I still don’t think you’ve put yourself in the shoes of not just the one victim but numerous victims. No one should come to school and feel humiliated or intimidated.

“If this is what you do in school, I wonder what you do outside of school? You’re supposed to be on your best behavior in school. So if this is an example of your best behavior, I wonder what your worst behavior is. I don’t have a sense of real remorse. But I do feel that you feel sorry for yourself.”

https://theathletic.com/2162185/2020/10/27/arizona-coyotes-mitchell-miller-bullying-nhl/

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think getting punished is earning a second chance.

He’s gotta reach out to the kid he bullied in a meaningful way. Maybe volunteer with some special needs programs. Do something that shows he’s seen the error of his ways.

Theres no way in today’s climate and with the recent creation of the Hockey Diversity Alliance, that this kid wasn’t going to face to music.

Absolutely.   Punishing i guess is part of “justice” but really this kid should be seeking reconciliation and making amends.   It would be an uphill battle and I hope he does too.  

• Cheers 1