The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Bargain Bin

babalu

This is a $&!# ton of people still not signed yet, and the shocking thing is most of them wont get signed lol. Most teams are already at cap limit. How is Del Zotto just 30 years old lol.  Looks like Stecher made the right decision to take that low ball contract from Detriot. Hutton cant even find a job. 

By the way, we are over the caplimit. And our lineup's most pressing flaw is lack of defensive depth after our top 4. Imagine if 2 of them gets injured. 

• Cheers 1

I'm wondering if at some point several of these guys don't  sign rock-bottom one year contracts simply to get on a team and avoid being out of the NHL for a season or more?  In the past I would expect to see a lot of ufa's on PTO's in camp but I don't think it'll work that away due to measures so the guys who don't sign may be in for unusual camp situations?

Unless Ferland is certain to be on LTIR and/or the Canucks ship out a contract like Sutter's, I don't see the Canucks making any more moves.

Aside from cap space problems, the recent commentary about teams like the Leafs aiming to carry as close to 20-players on their active roster at any time for most of next season makes me think that the strategy could be emulated by most teams.  Saving money is a likely significant factor for all owners right now since sports teams are a huge expense and, right now, there is essentially nil revenue from that asset and most of their businesses are probably experiencing declines in revenue in some way.

Frankly speaking, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing the Canucks give some of the young guys like Juolevi and Rafferty a chance to step up.  Hoglander might even end up being a breakout candidate.  Rafferty's not really that young so he really should be making the jump right now.  If I'm not mistaken, then the Canucks still have control over Rafferty after this season so if he breaks out, then the Canucks could look at trading him if he ultimately does not fit into their long term plans or in their cap structure.  I can't remember the last time the Canucks had several at least semi-promising prospects waiting to get their chance.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Unless Ferland is certain to be on LTIR and/or the Canucks ship out a contract like Sutter's, I don't see the Canucks making any more moves.

Aside from cap space problems, the recent commentary about teams like the Leafs aiming to carry as close to 20-players on their active roster at any time for most of next season makes me think that the strategy could be emulated by most teams.  Saving money is a likely significant factor for all owners right now since sports teams are a huge expense and, right now, there is essentially nil revenue from that asset and most of their businesses are probably experiencing declines in revenue in some way.

Frankly speaking, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing the Canucks give some of the young guys like Juolevi and Rafferty a chance to step up.  Hoglander might even end up being a breakout candidate.  Rafferty's not really that young so he really should be making the jump right now.  If I'm not mistaken, then the Canucks still have control over Rafferty after this season so if he breaks out, then the Canucks could look at trading him if he ultimately does not fit into their long term plans or in their cap structure.  I can't remember the last time the Canucks had several at least semi-promising prospects waiting to get their chance.

Although there's no guarantee, I'm sure Benning is still working on clearing cap space and offloading someone. I'm glad that we haven't used a buyout, I don't think it would save enough overall with a number of guys expiring next season anyway.

I think we will still be looking to add a top 6 forward at this stage.  A lot is still up in the air with Ferland.  If he is good to go, then We are in good shape,  If not, then I can see JB looking to make a trade or two to fill the roster.  Otherwise, we will probably see a few solid players on PTO's.  I have a hard time seeing a guy like Galchenyuk or Perry getting signed at this point.

Miller-EP-Virtanen

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Rous-Gaudette-Sutter

Motte-Beagle-Ferland 

Hoglander

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Meyers

Benn-Joulevi

Rafferty

Demko

Holtby

I think having KV in the top 6 for a whole year id going to be huge, he will surprise some people.  I also think OJ will do real well in a bottom pairing role, he is better than many people think.  If Ferland is done, I could see JB useing his LTIR money to go after Vatanen and a Duclair/Athanasiou type forward.

This has been our best offseason yet under JB.  Schmidt is a massive add, working a few young guys into the lineup will be great to see, and we will be out from all our bad deals when we need to start building around our young core.

Edited by BCNate

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I think we will still be looking to add a top 6 forward at this stage.  A lot is still up in the air with Ferland.  If he is good to go, then We are in good shape,  If not, then I can see JB looking to make a trade or two to fill the roster.  Otherwise, we will probably see a few solid players on PTO's.  I have a hard time seeing a guy like Galchenyuk or Perry getting signed at this point.

Miller-EP-Virtanen

Pearson-Horvat-Ferland/UFA

Rous-Gaudette-Sutter

Motte-Beagle-Hoglander

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Meyers

Benn-Joulevi

Rafferty

Demko

Holtby

I think having KV in the top 6 for a whole year id going to be huge, he will surprise some people.  I also think OJ will do real well in a bottom pairing role, he is better than many people think.  If Ferland is done, I could see JB useing his LTIR money to go after Vatanen and a Duclair/Athanasiou type forward.

This has been our best offseason yet under JB.  Schmidt is a massive add, working a few young guys into the lineup will be great to see, and we will be out from all our bad deals when we need to start building around our young core.

Just curious, are you expecting Boeser to be traded?  I would assume he would otherwise be in the projected top-6 line-up.

10 hours ago, babalu said:

Of the UFA still available could we sign any of these players for a mil or less?

https://www.tsn.ca/mike-hoffman-leads-top-remaining-ufas-as-list-dips-below-35-1.1543744

Would any of these ufa be worth trying to add knowing we could waive them if they can't beat out someone at camp? Athanasiou,  Caggiula or Rutta? Thoughts?

I really like Hamonic 6'2, 210 , plays very tough - would like to see us sign him ? Maybe 2 X 2.5 million ?--- If Ferland is on long term, I would do this..

Love the grit Hamonic plays with...

Added Schmidt such a great pickup for  3rd rounder... Nate #88 will log big minutes and add great character 21-24 mins PK. PP and regular shift big upgrade on Tanev.. Hamonic is also upgrade on Tanev... So weird Tanev or Hamonic....

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'd love to find a way to get Hamonic here.

he'd have to sign for under 2 mil, and thats assuming Ferland is on LTIR which may not be a sure thing. But at that price its a no-brainer. Rutta might be worth a flyer a 1 to 1.5 as well if Hamonic signs elsewhere. 

For Fs, I'd be happy to add Martin for 1 mil. Soderberg might be a nice add too if he's willing to go that low. 

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

he'd have to sign for under 2 mil, and thats assuming Ferland is on LTIR which may not be a sure thing. But at that price its a no-brainer. Rutta might be worth a flyer a 1 to 1.5 as well if Hamonic signs elsewhere. 

For Fs, I'd be happy to add Martin for 1 mil. Soderberg might be a nice add too if he's willing to go that low. 

If Benning could somehow add Martin and Hamonic, that would be really great. If not, I wonder if Engelland could be had, as he's a UFA and about as tough as they come. 

20 hours ago, babalu said:

Of the UFA still available could we sign any of these players for a mil or less?

https://www.tsn.ca/mike-hoffman-leads-top-remaining-ufas-as-list-dips-below-35-1.1543744

Would any of these ufa be worth trying to add knowing we could waive them if they can't beat out someone at camp? Athanasiou,  Caggiula or Rutta? Thoughts?

My first priority would be in clearing cap to sign Hoffman but if not, I’d take a shot at Andreas Athanasiou.   The guy scored 30 goals not too long ago and is still youngish.  He would be much cheaper than Hoffman and can also play center if need be.   Him and Virtanen would be one of the fastest duo’s in the league. 

The possibility of some real bargain contracts makes it even more enticing to spend assets now to clear dead space.

LA Kings still have plenty of cap space and roster space, something like a Eriksson + Virtanen + Juolevi + 1st for future considerations. It's a huge overspend for the Canucks but if we could pick up say Athanasiou for $2.5m x 2 years, Hamonic for $3m x 3 years then this would boost our roster for this season and help with cap space in the next 2-3 seasons too.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Athanasiou

Ferland Sutter Gaudette

Motte Beagle MacEwen

(Roussel)

Schmidt Myers

Hughes Hamonic

Edler Rafferty

(Benn)

Holtby, Demko

Gives us about $2.3m in cap space this coming season.

Next season Pearson, Sutter, Edler walk...replaced by Hoglander, Lind/Podkolzin, Rathbone...enough space to resign EP, QH and Demko.

If you want to give up a 1st to get rid of Loui then I would do it only if we could get Cernak from Tampa.  Send Loui and our 2021 1st and a prospect to Ottawa for futures and then trade Rafferty to Tampa for Cernak and Killorn.  Tampa clears $4,450,000 in cap space which should give them enough room to sign both Sergachev and Cirelli.

Effectively we trade a 1st and Rafferty for Cernak and Killorn.   

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

The possibility of some real bargain contracts makes it even more enticing to spend assets now to clear dead space.

LA Kings still have plenty of cap space and roster space, something like a Eriksson + Virtanen + Juolevi + 1st for future considerations. It's a huge overspend for the Canucks but if we could pick up say Athanasiou for $2.5m x 2 years, Hamonic for $3m x 3 years then this would boost our roster for this season and help with cap space in the next 2-3 seasons too.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Athanasiou

Ferland Sutter Gaudette

Motte Beagle MacEwen

(Roussel)

Schmidt Myers

Hughes Hamonic

Edler Rafferty

(Benn)

Holtby, Demko

Gives us about $2.3m in cap space this coming season.

Next season Pearson, Sutter, Edler walk...replaced by Hoglander, Lind/Podkolzin, Rathbone...enough space to resign EP, QH and Demko.

I don't mind the idea of Hamonic, but does he even want to come here? I know he wants to be out west because of his family. I'm surprised he hasn't signed somewhere by now. I wonder if he might seriously consider retirement given health concerns@his children. It's not as if he hasn't already made millions. He's also likely peaked being 30, I'd rather see what we've got in 22 year old Juolevi given how patient we've been with his development thus far.

I don't see the logic for Athanasiou though? He's got slightly better numbers than Jake and a thirty goal season to his name. But he's also two years older. Doesn't strike me as a drastic upgrade over Jake, who could flourish this upcoming season with more extensive top six opportunity. And who knows what we have in Juolevi? He's played well at the Utica level, coaching staff and management are very familiar with him and his game. And a first on top of that? Hamonic and Athanasiou ain't worth that package, not even for future cap flexibility. We'd be better off riding out a season of Eriksson and buying him out or retaining half of his final year in a trade. 

If we're willing to give up a 1st it'd better be to clear space to facilitate taking a piece or two from Tampa to help them with their cap woes.