The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Bargain Bin

babalu

7 hours ago, mll said:

Seattle gets added to the league and their 81.5M in cap space.

Great point.   That might save the system from cracking.   Still I’m all for stopping and hope they are finally done with expansion.   It’s silly that folks should have to wait 5-10 years to see their teams make the playoffs a couple times and then do it all over again.   

22 hours ago, mll said:

Seattle gets added to the league and their 81.5M in cap space.

Was thinking more about this - yes it will provide some relief - an increase of overall cap by around 3%.   That’s less then it usually goes up year to year - BUT it should cover all the RFA raises on qualifying offers at least.   Still doubt it will be enough to correct what’s going on now with internal cap restraints, and doubling the amount of UFAs next year who ordinarily would get healthy raises in the 25-100% ranges.   Plus the RFAs like JV who’ve earned raises in a similar or even higher range (think EP, QHs, Heiskanen, Makar types who get 400-700% raises).....

The system only works with cap increases was the point im trying to make, and we are already seeing some cracks.   Seattle coming in couldn’t be more timely really - it’s a gigantic bandaid that should slow the bleeding and really they are now in the catbird seat more then any other team out their including Detroit and OTT.   Have way more power then Vegas did, yes GMs have learned just to let them pick a player and not add - but one has to speculate that certain teams will for sure see this as a way to remain cap compliant and offer up extras just to take a guy like say Tyler Johnson in TB.  

For sure it will release some pressure - we won’t know for sure how much until next season is over.    If I was Francis I’d be me making stratagems to maximize from this opportunity...but as a fan I sure hope we don’t end up with another Vegas in our division when the dust settles either. 

Edited by IBatch

• 2 weeks later...

If this is a shortened season (and it clearly is), why not just see what our prospects on defense can do? I get wanting shiny new toys, but I'd rather see this team just develop further with their current group even if it may be more "boring" since it doesn't involve another signing. ;)

• Cheers 1