The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Alex Galchenyuk to Ottawa

Monty

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/ottawa-senators-close-to-signing-ufa-alex-galchenyuk-1.1544800%3ftsn-amp

The Ottawa Senators are close to signing unrestricted free agent forward Alex Galchenyuk, according to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun.

Bruce Garrioch of Postmedia adds that it's a one-year, $1.05 million contract.

Galchenyuk, 26, scored eight goals and tallied 24 points in 59 games last season with the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Minnesota Wild.

He was drafted third overall by Montreal in 2012 and has 135 goals and 320 points in 549 career NHL games with the Canadiens, Arizona Coyotes, Penguins and Wild.

The Canadiens traded Galchenyuk to Arizona in 2018 for forward Max Domi. He played one season with the Coyotes, scoring 19 goals and tallying 41 points in 72 games before being traded to Pittsburgh for winger Phil Kessel. The Penguins then traded him to Minnesota last February in a package for forward Jason Zucker.

Edited by Monty
  • Cheers 1

I think Ottawa is going to be better than most people think.  They have added some skill to their young core.  I don't think the narrative on Galchenyuk is fully accurate based on the situations he's been in.  At 1M, this seems like a no brainer.  I hope we can find the space to take a flyer on someone too.  Still hoping that we could bring in someone like Granlund or Hamonic on a major discount.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Still hoping that we could bring in someone like Granlund or Hamonic on a major discount.

Some Canadian team is going to get Hamonic at a big discount, and be infinitely better on the backend because so.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Monty said:

Some Canadian team is going to get Hamonic at a big discount, and be infinitely better on the backend because so.

Hamonic at a big discount would be good value, but I think he's quite overrated. He's not the same player from his NYI days. He's starting to be quite injury prone and doesn't play nearly as physical as he used to. He would be throwing 150-200 hits in NYI, but in Calgary, his hit numbers have dropped to only about 40 last season in 50 games. The concussion he got from fighting Gudbranson a couple of seasons ago probably didn't help. He doesn't provide much offense, but is a good PK defender. I wouldn't say he would make a team infinitely better, but he would be a solid addition (and would fill a need for us if signed cheap).

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think Ottawa is going to be better than most people think.  They have added some skill to their young core.  I don't think the narrative on Galchenyuk is fully accurate based on the situations he's been in.  At 1M, this seems like a no brainer.  I hope we can find the space to take a flyer on someone too.  Still hoping that we could bring in someone like Granlund or Hamonic on a major discount.

I agree that Ottawa should be much improved this year.  Their young core, or at least their nucleus of young players, only got better this past draft.  They still had decent "veteran" players like Tierney, Brown and Anisimov but adding Dadonov and Galchenyuk further surrounds their young players with experienced players who can contribute.  Galchenyuk may not pan out but at this cost and term, it's a no brainer.  If Galchenyuk can produce at even a portion of the rate that Duclair did last year while playing a solid 2-way game, then it's really a steal for Ottawa.

Galchenyuk seems to be a player that has lost a lot of confidence over the past year and a half but he was actually playing decently with the Wild, notwithstanding the fact that they let him walk.  Moving into a role where he's less relied upon might be helpful for him.

The one place the Senators are still relatively weak in is D.  Chabot is a great player and I think Zaitsev is actually pretty solid, but they must really be expecting Brannstrom to pan out.  Zub is an interesting addition but hard to say how he'll fit in.  Sanderson should be a good addition but that might not be until next season.  It makes me wonder if a prospect like Jaros is very close to being traded.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

So this guy got traded for not long ago for Domi, then Kessel and then most recently for Zucker. All reasonable star players and yet he signs late for basically league min as a basic after thought?
What’s wrong with this guy?

Lots of speed but can't seem to process the game at a high level/hasn't really meshed with any top players and doesn't really suit a bottom 6 role well either (and was overpaid for one).

7 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Ahhhhh dang it!! Why didn't we have a go at him?? He's definitely a top 6 material but I'm guessing JB has made up his mind to go with Virtanen so we are pretty much done adding forwards.... but at $1.05M.... what a bargain!!

See above. Honestly I'd rather we took a flyer on Grabner as a speedy and cheap depth guy. At least he's a quality pk'er.

• Upvote 1

I like that they're actually building the team, but I also hate it because Melnyk absolutely doesn't deserve it. Horrible owner, but the management team he's got in place is doing good work. 

Gotta be nice for their fans though.

But yeah, &^@# Eugene Melnyk. League would be better off without him. 

• Cheers 1