The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Alex Galchenyuk to Ottawa

Monty

37 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Lots of speed but can't seem to process the game at a high level/hasn't really meshed with any top players and doesn't really suit a bottom 6 role well either (and was overpaid for one).

See above. Honestly I'd rather we took a flyer on Grabner as a speedy and cheap depth guy. At least he's a quality pk'er.

Grabner at this point in his career doesnt have that speed that sets him apart from most players.

7 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Grabner at this point in his career doesnt have that speed that sets him apart from most players.

He may have lost a step with age, but he's still faster than a lot of guys out there and plenty 'quick' still. One of the things that make him an effective PK'er.

22 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I thought a real team started with a real owner......lol.....::D

its happening despite him. I used to think Dorian had no plan but he's made some good moves. We'll see if it all translates into wins but so far it looks interesting. 

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

So this guy got traded for not long ago for Domi, then Kessel and then most recently for Zucker. All reasonable star players and yet he signs late for basically league min as a basic after thought?
What’s wrong with this guy?

He was a cap dump in the Zucker trade.   The main return was the 1st round pick and Penguins top prospect Addison.

4 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Ahhhhh dang it!! Why didn't we have a go at him?? He's definitely a top 6 material but I'm guessing JB has made up his mind to go with Virtanen so we are pretty much done adding forwards.... but at $1.05M.... what a bargain!!

Because it takes two to tango.  People act like Player X signing for $Y with Team Z means that we could have signed them to the same deal when that is not the case.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

With a non-existent economy, OTT should be able to rope-in their youth, on the cheap. It's a good time to be a young, rising team.

In this sense, Van & Ott share some similarities. Hope both franchises become powerhouses.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I was under the impression that economic conditions could not be used in contract negotiations.

With the cap staying flat players will still be able to sign contracts comparable to other players who signed during that period. Meaning any player signing in the last few years could be used as comparables.

I think someone like Aho will be who they look at as a comparable. So around 8-9 mil on a 5 year deal is a good place to start.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I was under the impression that economic conditions could not be used in contract negotiations.

With the cap staying flat players will still be able to sign contracts comparable to other players who signed during that period. Meaning any player signing in the last few years could be used as comparables.

I think someone like Aho will be who they look at as a comparable. So around 8-9 mil on a 5 year deal is a good place to start.

You & I don't know yet. All this could be tip of the iceberg, at this point. A talent like Pietroangelo got squeezed pretty hard to get his 8. whatever. This economic-tightening will likely filter into/through all age groups, eventually.

We're still within a time-frame where huge cash injections from gov'ts have kept some semblance of order. Things could get way worse..then perhaps a season not even getting off the ground.

At such a time(from owner's pov) I'd like to be one(of the 31) with lots of youth, & minimal long-term, pricey vets.

• Huggy Bear 1