The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Alex Galchenyuk to Ottawa

Monty

29 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

You & I don't know yet. All this could be tip of the iceberg, at this point. A talent like Pietroangelo got squeezed pretty hard to get his 8. whatever. This economic-tightening will likely filter into/through all age groups, eventually.

We're still within a time-frame where huge cash injections from gov'ts have kept some semblance of order. Things could get way worse..then perhaps a season not even getting off the ground.

At such a time(from owner's pov) I'd like to be one(of the 31) with lots of youth, & minimal long-term, pricey vets.

AP got a huge contract right around the range he was looking for. I don’t see how he got squeezed.

Star players will likely still get paid big bucks. It’s the mid range guys that will likely suffer.

Teams will still need to spend to the cap floor regardless, it just means the star players will be getting a higher percentage of the cap.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

AP got a huge contract right around the range he was looking for. I don’t see how he got squeezed.

Star players will likely still get paid big bucks. It’s the mid range guys that will likely suffer.

Teams will still need to spend to the cap floor regardless, it just means the star players will be getting a higher percentage of the cap.

You’ve nailed it on the head there.  It’s already started with guys taking less term and money.     Plus vets that likely could get more but already have brinks sized bank accounts just signing to keep playing.     Something tells me next year will probably be worse with a flood of guys hitting the market on one year deals.   Great time to clean house if your ready for it.   Sutter and Pearson won’t get great offers next year, same with everyone else expiring. 

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It has been a busy off-season for the Senators.

Elc4pDlXgAAOhy1?format=jpg&name=large

So, the sens upgrade in goal with murray, gross contract.

Hainsey is old but dependable, played top 4?

Replaced by a #6-7-8 rhd in Josh Brown.

Brown also brings more grit.

Borocop Replaced by Guddy is a slight dip in overall player, slightly meaner. Borowiecki played top 4?

ryan vs galchenyuk, while ryan is older I predict more or less the same points totals.

Duclair vs Dadonov

If duclair can get 20-30 goals while dadonov puts up 50-60 points this move is lateral. Spent more to sign dadonov who is older.

Overall i think aside from Murray the senators took a dip on the backend and up should see a slight bump in points from dadonov and galchenyuk.

Chabot Zaitsev

Rielly Guddy

Wolanin Brown

Brannstrom Zub

Lajoie Jaros

That's a pretty gross D-core for next year

Melnyk says a Stanley cup in the next 4 years.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................AHAHAHAHHAA MELNYK PUT THE EDIBLES DOWN:lol:

If we can sign a Mamonic 6'2, gritty solid #3 D man for 1 yr X 2.3 would make a very very strong D core...

1. Hughes - Schmidt

2. Edler -- Hamonic

3. Myers - Juolevi ..  Myers and Hamonic can switch around...I think Ferland will be on long term 3.5 cap space....

Benn - Rathbone - Rafferty

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I was under the impression that economic conditions could not be used in contract negotiations.

With the cap staying flat players will still be able to sign contracts comparable to other players who signed during that period. Meaning any player signing in the last few years could be used as comparables.

I think someone like Aho will be who they look at as a comparable. So around 8-9 mil on a 5 year deal is a good place to start.

In arbitration only.  Awards are limited to 1 or 2 years.  They are more likely to try and negotiate contracts where they can argue anything they want.  

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

If we can sign a Mamonic 6'2, gritty solid #3 D man for 1 yr X 2.3 would make a very very strong D core...

1. Hughes - Schmidt

2. Edler -- Hamonic

3. Myers - Juolevi ..  Myers and Hamonic can switch around...I think Ferland will be on long term 3.5 cap space....

Benn - Rathbone - Rafferty

Is juolevi ready for the NHL? 

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Still shocked that Hoffman, Granlund, and Vatanen are unsigned.

I would imagine they have offers from teams. I guess they’re in no rush if the offers are low.

Oh don't you worry... JB will bag all three once he magically offloads Sutter and Eriksson with sweeteners like Juolevi, Lind and some picks in 2021-2025!

34 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Oh don't you worry... JB will bag all three once he magically offloads Sutter and Eriksson with sweeteners like Juolevi, Lind and some picks in 2021-2025!

Don’t even think he’d have to unload those two.

Granlund and Vatanen are looking they could be had for 1.5 mil or less.

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Chabot Zaitsev

Rielly Guddy

Wolanin Brown

Brannstrom Zub

Lajoie Jaros

That's a pretty gross D-core for next year

Real defense is coming.  JBD, Sanderson, Brannstrom.  They'll have a hell of a team if Melnyk either drops dead or is forced to sell to an owner who actually cares about winning.  Dorion's done a hell of a job considering his owner pays in food stamps.

• Cheers 3

On 10/28/2020 at 8:36 PM, milk and honey said:

Is juolevi ready for the NHL? 

Yes he is, IMO. 

Can his body handle it?

I doubt it. 

He looked comfortable this summer, but wasn’t exactly impressive. His vision is his strength and what I believe separates him our other prospects. Combined with above average skating, that vision results in good decisions, from what little I’ve seen. He’s quite predictable, but in a good way, except for his being injury prone thus far. 

I wouldn’t have spent any development time on him because I think that although he’s a decent player, he’ll be an oft-injured support player, which are likely the leagues cheapest commodity to acquire. Why develop when you can purchase the same? 

I suspect OJ will make the team out of camp and stick and that he’ll be a decent Dman here for many years until he wants to leave via UFA. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yes he is, IMO. 

Can his body handle it?

I doubt it. 

He looked comfortable this summer, but wasn’t exactly impressive. His vision is his strength and what I believe separates him our other prospects. Combined with above average skating, that vision results in good decisions, from what little I’ve seen. He’s quite predictable, but in a good way, except for his being injury prone thus far. 

I wouldn’t have spent any development time on him because I think that although he’s a decent player, he’ll be an oft-injured support player, which are likely the leagues cheapest commodity to acquire. Why develop when you can purchase the same? 

I suspect OJ will make the team out of camp and stick and that he’ll be a decent Dman here for many years until he wants to leave via UFA. 

not sure why thats the case. One injury was a freak gym thing, the other from a hit that could have happened to anyone.  He's a pretty decent sized kid now, I don't see him being fragile like Tanev, e.g. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not sure why thats the case. One injury was a freak gym thing, the other from a hit that could have happened to anyone.  He's a pretty decent sized kid now, I don't see him being fragile like Tanev, e.g. 

What gym injury? Also he had a year or hockey in a sense  off so he has had plenty of time off and a longer break in between seasons. If we even have one this year 

4 hours ago, milk and honey said:

What gym injury? Also he had a year or hockey in a sense  off so he has had plenty of time off and a longer break in between seasons. If we even have one this year 

when he needed that back repair, it was a training injury 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

when he needed that back repair, it was a training injury 

At OJ's stage of development (and him being waiver eligible after next season) I would rather him be penciled in on the bottom pairing at 12-15 minutes per game with a few scratches when the team is healthy VS 25 minutes blocking 5 shots per game in the AHL. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

At OJ's stage of development (and him being waiver eligible after next season) I would rather him be penciled in on the bottom pairing at 12-15 minutes per game with a few scratches when the team is healthy VS 25 minutes blocking 5 shots per game in the AHL. 

We probably need him as a penalty killer on the Canucks. 

• Cheers 2