The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Alex Galchenyuk to Ottawa

Monty

On 10/28/2020 at 9:12 AM, Monty said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/ottawa-senators-close-to-signing-ufa-alex-galchenyuk-1.1544800%3ftsn-amp

The Ottawa Senators are close to signing unrestricted free agent forward Alex Galchenyuk, according to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun.

Bruce Garrioch of Postmedia adds that it's a one-year, $1.05 million contract.

Galchenyuk, 26, scored eight goals and tallied 24 points in 59 games last season with the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Minnesota Wild.

He was drafted third overall by Montreal in 2012 and has 135 goals and 320 points in 549 career NHL games with the Canadiens, Arizona Coyotes, Penguins and Wild.

The Canadiens traded Galchenyuk to Arizona in 2018 for forward Max Domi. He played one season with the Coyotes, scoring 19 goals and tallying 41 points in 72 games before being traded to Pittsburgh for winger Phil Kessel. The Penguins then traded him to Minnesota last February in a package for forward Jason Zucker.

A bust for spot in the draft but had his moments and made enough to retire comfortably 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Top 5.  Probably the worst 1st round since the Sedin draft.

Top 3 blunders aside 2012's 1st round wasn't that bad if you get out of the Top 3. And keep in mind Alex Galchenyuk is still a 50 to 60 pt player and Ryan Murray would have been a really good defenseman if it wasn't for his injuries.

That said beyond the Top 3 you still got some really good to elite defensemen

Lindholm, Trouba, Dumba, Rielly, Ceci, Matheson

Then you have Forsberg, Hertl, Vasilesky  and a handful of players that are effective top 9 players.

So 2012 still produced a lot of NHL players in the 1st round.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Rielly is absolute trash in his own zone.  Total liability out there.

Still he's a Norris contender/candidate so I would take him over anyone in the 2012 draft with the exception of Vasilevsky. 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 1

On 11/23/2020 at 5:44 AM, iinatcc said:

Top 3 blunders aside 2012's 1st round wasn't that bad if you get out of the Top 3. And keep in mind Alex Galchenyuk is still a 50 to 60 pt player and Ryan Murray would have been a really good defenseman if it wasn't for his injuries.

That said beyond the Top 3 you still got some really good to elite defensemen

Lindholm, Trouba, Dumba, Rielly, Ceci, Matheson

Then you have Forsberg, Hertl, Vasilesky  and a handful of players that are effective top 9 players.

So 2012 still produced a lot of NHL players in the 1st round.

I wanted Murray so bad to.

I don't follow nhl much anymore but how is Seth Jones doing? 

On 11/23/2020 at 3:16 PM, iinatcc said:

Still he's a Norris contender/candidate so I would take him over anyone in the 2012 draft with the exception of Vasilevsky. 

He had a bit of a down year but the season before he lead all NHL defenseman in goals above replacement. His defensive ability is poor but his offence is insane. Also great to see Nate Schmidt at 14th!

6FD6E660-3382-476D-93A4-6039CF1E2BB1.jpeg

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 10:58 PM, King Heffy said:

Top 5.  Probably the worst 1st round since the Sedin draft.

That draft was better than I remember it being, but the 99 draft still has two active goalies in Ryan Miller and Craig Anderson haha.

33 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I wonder, if Reilly were not playing for Toronto, if you would be thinking differently at that point. lol

Nope.  Zero patience for any defenseman too stupid or too lazy to play defense.  He's simply too much of a liability in his own end to justify a spot in a legitimate NHL defensive group, but he might be of some use if he was moved to the wing.

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Nope.  Zero patience for any defenseman too stupid or too lazy to play defense.  He's simply too much of a liability in his own end to justify a spot in a legitimate NHL defensive group, but he might be of some use if he was moved to the wing.

And yet he has more points in a season (2018-19 at 72 points) than any defender in the entire history of the Vancouver Canucks (highest is Doug Lidster at 63 points 1986-87).

Hopefully Hughes can fix that at some point, but until then, that's a lot of points by a defender who "can't play defense" and "doesn't deserve a spot in the NHL".

Edited by The Lock

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

And yet he has more points in a season (2018-19 at 72 points) than any defender in the entire history of the Vancouver Canucks (highest is Doug Lidster at 63 points 1986-87).

Hopefully Hughes can fix that at some point, but until then, that's a lot of points by a defender who "can't play defense" and "doesn't deserve a spot in the NHL".

Doesn't matter how many points you put up if your incompetence in your own end leads to more goals against; that's simply unacceptable.  Rielly can play forward if he's unwilling to fix the defensive issued.  Hughes, unlike Rielly, is at least capable of playing like an NHLer in his own zone.  

11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Doesn't matter how many points you put up if your incompetence in your own end leads to more goals against; that's simply unacceptable.  Rielly can play forward if he's unwilling to fix the defensive issued.  Hughes, unlike Rielly, is at least capable of playing like an NHLer in his own zone.  

That is what goals above replacement essentially does - it compiles how many more goals above a replacement level player. And even though Reilly had negative defensive contribution the rest of his game was so strong that he created more net goals than any other dman during the 18-19 season. 

I’d rather have a player that generates 24 more goals scored but allows 5 more against than one who prevents 2 goals against and also generates 5 more goals since it is the net of goals for vs goals against that wins hockey games.

Last year Reilly’s defensive game improved by quite a lot, -2.1 vs -5 but the rest of his game tanked so he went from a positive 19 to a positive 5 (comparable to Alex Edler). I am sure every leafs fan wants the 18-19 version to show up next season.

18 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Absolutely it does matter how many points you put up. If you are making up for that "lack of incompetence" by scoring points then just have whoever you pair him with more competent. I am pretty sure any GM in the league would love to have Reilly in their lineup. Any GM who doesn't would be just plain incompetent at GMing.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Absolutely it does matter how many points you put up. If you are making up for that "lack of incompetence" by scoring points then just have whoever you pair him with more competent. I am pretty sure any GM in the league would love to have Reilly in their lineup. Any GM who doesn't would be just plain incompetent at GMing.

There isn't a defenseman in the world who can make up fore that pylon, although it's partially Toronto's fault for not holding him accountable earlier in his career and putting him in the press box until he figured out that defensemen need to be able to actually play defense.  If he still can't figure that out, it's time for a position change.  There isn't a coach in the league who wouldn't salivate at the chance of exposing Rielly for the pylon that he is over a playoff series.

I'd much rather Galchenyuk over a defenseman who needs a tourist visa to enter his own zone.

Edited by King Heffy