Sign in to follow this  
Monty

[Signing] Alex Galchenyuk to Ottawa

11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Doesn't matter how many points you put up if your incompetence in your own end leads to more goals against; that's simply unacceptable.  Rielly can play forward if he's unwilling to fix the defensive issued.  Hughes, unlike Rielly, is at least capable of playing like an NHLer in his own zone.  

That is what goals above replacement essentially does - it compiles how many more goals above a replacement level player. And even though Reilly had negative defensive contribution the rest of his game was so strong that he created more net goals than any other dman during the 18-19 season. 

I’d rather have a player that generates 24 more goals scored but allows 5 more against than one who prevents 2 goals against and also generates 5 more goals since it is the net of goals for vs goals against that wins hockey games.

Last year Reilly’s defensive game improved by quite a lot, -2.1 vs -5 but the rest of his game tanked so he went from a positive 19 to a positive 5 (comparable to Alex Edler). I am sure every leafs fan wants the 18-19 version to show up next season.

18 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Doesn't matter how many points you put up if your incompetence in your own end leads to more goals against; that's simply unacceptable.  Rielly can play forward if he's unwilling to fix the defensive issued.  Hughes, unlike Rielly, is at least capable of playing like an NHLer in his own zone.  

Absolutely it does matter how many points you put up. If you are making up for that "lack of incompetence" by scoring points then just have whoever you pair him with more competent. I am pretty sure any GM in the league would love to have Reilly in their lineup. Any GM who doesn't would be just plain incompetent at GMing.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Absolutely it does matter how many points you put up. If you are making up for that "lack of incompetence" by scoring points then just have whoever you pair him with more competent. I am pretty sure any GM in the league would love to have Reilly in their lineup. Any GM who doesn't would be just plain incompetent at GMing.

There isn't a defenseman in the world who can make up fore that pylon, although it's partially Toronto's fault for not holding him accountable earlier in his career and putting him in the press box until he figured out that defensemen need to be able to actually play defense.  If he still can't figure that out, it's time for a position change.  There isn't a coach in the league who wouldn't salivate at the chance of exposing Rielly for the pylon that he is over a playoff series.

I'd much rather Galchenyuk over a defenseman who needs a tourist visa to enter his own zone.

Edited by King Heffy

19 hours ago, King Heffy said:

There isn't a defenseman in the world who can make up fore that pylon, although it's partially Toronto's fault for not holding him accountable earlier in his career and putting him in the press box until he figured out that defensemen need to be able to actually play defense.  If he still can't figure that out, it's time for a position change.  There isn't a coach in the league who wouldn't salivate at the chance of exposing Rielly for the pylon that he is over a playoff series.

I'd much rather Galchenyuk over a defenseman who needs a tourist visa to enter his own zone.

I mean, there are people out there who will firmly believe the world is flat no matter how convincing your argument is that it isn't, so I'm just going to assuming this is the case with you. Not that it really matters as it's not exactly a decision either of us need to make in our lives. lol

I get it though, you have a strong opinion about this. I completely disagree though in that I believe that there are ways around a player being a liability in their own end if they make up for it in the offensive zone, and he does. I also don't think he's as big of a liability as you claim so that's also part of it too.

Edited by The Lock