The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Would the Canucks be a contender with another Top 6 Forwarded added to the group via UFA?

14 minutes ago, Canucklehead73 said:

They have to give Virtanen the shot at the top six.

He has improved each year statwise and if he graduates into a 20+ goal 50pt player who can lay some hits and cause turnovers, what more can you ask for.

don't you think Jake should have to prove he can stick in the top six, meaning not just playing 2 good games then floating for 4.  i like Jake and want him to improve , but he has to know he is going into his 6th year.  so fingers crossed he comes to camp ready to play like a top 6 forward

5 hours ago, bree2 said:

don't you think Jake should have to prove he can stick in the top six, meaning not just playing 2 good games then floating for 4.  i like Jake and want him to improve , but he has to know he is going into his 6th year.  so fingers crossed he comes to camp ready to play like a top 6 forward

Thing is, players aren't going to prove they can play in a top six role regularly if they're not given an extended opportunity to do just that. It's one thing to bring in a guy who's shown he can historically play top six, another to give someone within your own organization the playing time and rope to work through things. Most players don't step into the league and look like they belong in that role right away like Petey or Brock. 

I think most fans would agree that Jake needs to be more consistent, but how do you prove you can play regular top six minutes while playing between the third and fourth line? If Burrows hadn't been given the rope and patience to gel with the twins would we have ever seen them truly dominate with a linemate? What about Kesler getting a top six chance between Sundin and Demitra? Didn't many fans think he'd top out as an elite 3c? Sometimes you've got to give a player a true, extended opportunity to show he can be more than he's been. Sometimes it works out and a player flourishes, sometimes it doesn't. 

Jake's 24 and should either be at, or entering his prime years. He scored 10, 15, and 18 goals the last three seasons. If there's a time to see if he can do that and more against higher level competition there's no better time than now given our cap squeeze. I hope he makes the most of the opportunity if he gets it, but he needs to be given a legit opportunity to sink or swim with. Not just the odd game or shift here and there. 

Edited by Coconuts

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Thing is, players aren't going to prove they can play in a top six role regularly if they're not given an extended opportunity to do just that. It's one thing to bring in a guy who's shown he can historically play top six, another to give someone within your own organization the playing time and rope to work through things. Most players don't step into the league and look like they belong in that role right away like Petey or Brock. 

I think most fans would agree that Jake needs to be more consistent, but how do you prove you can play regular top six minutes while playing between the third and fourth line? If Burrows hadn't been given the rope and patience to gel with the twins would we have ever seen them truly dominate with a linemate? What about Kesler getting a top six chance between Sundin and Demitra? Didn't many fans think he'd top out as an elite 3c? Sometimes you've got to give a player a true, extended opportunity to show he can be more than he's been. Sometimes it works out and a player flourishes, sometimes it doesn't. 

Jake's 24 and should either be at, or entering his prime years. He scored 10, 15, and 18 goals the last three seasons. If there's a time to see if he can do that and more against higher level competition there's no better time than now given our cap squeeze. I hope he makes the most of the opportunity if he gets it, but he needs to be given a legit opportunity to sink or swim with. Not just the odd game or shift here and there. 

I hope JV can solidify in a top 6 role.

But here's the kicker.  Before Toffoli (only 10 games or so with the Canucks in regular season) last year, JV couldn't beat out LE for that coveted RW spot beside Horvat.

Let that sink in for a minute.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, BPA said:

I hope JV can solidify in a top 6 role.

But here's the kicker.  Before Toffoli (only 10 games or so with the Canucks in regular season) last year, JV couldn't beat out LE for that coveted RW spot beside Horvat.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Was it that he couldn't beat out Loui, or that Green preferred Loui with Bo because that's where the six million dollar man could show some semblance of usefulness? Jake's two-way game has definitely take steps forward, but given the amount of faceoffs Bo takes and his likelihood to take on key defensive zone draws I can see why Loui's defensive play might be considered. "Little things" is the joke, but Loui can still play the sound defense his game was always known for. 

One could even argue that Jake's offense took another step playing in less of a match-up role, which is a role he'd have to play alongside Horvat. 

I'm hoping he can take the next step alongside EP and Miller, I'll be surprised if they stick him with Bo. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Was it that he couldn't beat out Loui, or that Green preferred Loui with Bo because that's where the six million dollar man could show some semblance of usefulness? Jake's two-way game has definitely take steps forward, but given the amount of faceoffs Bo takes and his likelihood to take on key defensive zone draws I can see why Loui's defensive play might be considered. "Little things" is the joke, but Loui can still play the sound defense his game was always known for. 

One could even argue that Jake's offense took another step playing in less of a match-up role, which is a role he'd have to play alongside Horvat. 

I'm hoping he can take the next step alongside EP and Miller, I'll be surprised if they stick him with Bo. 

Isn't it the coach's and GM's job to ice the best team in positions that benefit the team interests over the players?

The players just have to play, the GM and coach decide where or if they play

They can bench players, or if they can't trade them. pass them through waivers

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Isn't it the coach's and GM's job to ice the best team in positions that benefit the team interests over the players?

The players just have to play, the GM and coach decide where or if they play

They can bench players, or if they can't trade them. pass them through waivers

Perhaps, but when you have a guy making 6m for three more years at the start of the season and he's expensive to trade/his contract is buyout proof you find a way to utilize him. We don't get much insight into what Green views as his best lineup from game to game or why, and that lack of transparency is probably a good thing for the organization. I somehow doubt Aqua would be keen on having a guy who's taking up 6m worth of cap space for three more years being buried in the minors (at the beginning of last season). Could Loui have been benched more? Sure, but when he's in the lineup you've got to take his capabilities into consideration when figuring out your game plan.

Could he have been thrown on the fourth line and switched with someone else? Sure, but we didn't exactly have a ton of RW options last season. Virtanen was one, Ferland was hurt, Brock was top line, Sutter's usually a center, MacEwan wasn't on the roster for much of the season, Toffoli was a late season addition, and I'm not sure Green wanted Gaudette in a matchup role. 

Loui was a poison pill last season, he'll likely be the same this coming season unless Benning decides he's actually going to bury him. But that's far from a sure thing given how Covid will impact the economic side of things. 

52 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Perhaps, but when you have a guy making 6m for three more years at the start of the season and he's expensive to trade/his contract is buyout proof you find a way to utilize him. We don't get much insight into what Green views as his best lineup from game to game or why, and that lack of transparency is probably a good thing for the organization. I somehow doubt Aqua would be keen on having a guy who's taking up 6m worth of cap space for three more years being buried in the minors (at the beginning of last season). Could Loui have been benched more? Sure, but when he's in the lineup you've got to take his capabilities into consideration when figuring out your game plan.

Could he have been thrown on the fourth line and switched with someone else? Sure, but we didn't exactly have a ton of RW options last season. Virtanen was one, Ferland was hurt, Brock was top line, Sutter's usually a center, MacEwan wasn't on the roster for much of the season, Toffoli was a late season addition, and I'm not sure Green wanted Gaudette in a matchup role. 

Loui was a poison pill last season, he'll likely be the same this coming season unless Benning decides he's actually going to bury him. But that's far from a sure thing given how Covid will impact the economic side of things. 

You mentioned that last season, we didn't have a ton of RW options, We pretty much have the same right side

I think Aqua knowing he is stuck paying LE and that if he has to pay LE in the AHL and it would mean that we have a stronger NHL team, that  would be no ones fault but LE's and he would do it, He is paying him regardless of which of Aquas teams he plays for

If he cant earn his spot, i think he will be demoted which i think he might retire or have a mysterious ailment

Not sure if the AHL is a horrible demotion now, during  Covid with more money for them and not as much bus rides (if any)

15 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

You mentioned that last season, we didn't have a ton of RW options, We pretty much have the same right side

I think Aqua knowing he is stuck paying LE and that if he has to pay LE in the AHL and it would mean that we have a stronger NHL team, that  would be no ones fault but LE's and he would do it, He is paying him regardless of which of Aquas teams he plays for

If he cant earn his spot, i think he will be demoted which i think he might retire or have a mysterious ailment

Not sure if the AHL is a horrible demotion now, during  Covid with more money for them and not as much bus rides (if any)

I agree that this season if Loui can't make the cut he'll probably be demoted, but I don't think that was the case last year. Why? Well, he's got one less year on his deal and he's technically owed less money now than he was. At the end of next season Loui's likely traded or bought out (buying him out should save us a solid amount of cap, unlike the scenario if we'd tried buying him out prior to this season). Where the team stands going into this season and where they were last season is different. Last season we hadn't made the playoffs in four years, this time we're coming off a second round exit after winning two playoff series and almost making it three. The expectations are different, the upside is more visible and the fan excitement and expectations are different as well. Our goal was to make the playoffs, and while it still is there's more of an expectation that we should now that we have. If burying Loui allows us to ice a more competitive lineup this coming season I think there's more willingness from ownership and management to make it happen, in part because of our success last season. 

Edited by Coconuts

On 10/28/2020 at 8:04 PM, Coconuts said:

Rathbone is a nice prospect, but he's unproven at the pro level. Him and a 1st might move Eriksson, but it's not moving Eriksson and Sutter even if there was a team out there looking to take on 10m+ in cap space. I'm really reluctant to move our two young pieces for a guy who's 30, we're not in picking up pieces to put us over the top territory yet. 

Hoffman isn't worth the lapse in top flight talent entering our prospect pipeline. He alone isn't enough, our defense needs to be better as a whole before I'd consider us a contender. Our third pairing looks pretty iffy right now, and all it'd take is one of our top four going down for things to look ugly. Juolevi looks promising, but as of right now we don't have much proven NHL quality at 5-7 besides Benn. 

Sutter will expire at the end of the year, Eriksson can either be bought out or flipped at 50% retained with a year left on his deal at much lower cost. We're better off riding out the season, seeing if any of our youth can change how we approach next offseason and the expansion draft, and continuing to build or prospect pool by actually having our top pick at the next draft.

This is without even going into what a player like Rathbone turning out as a viable PMD could do for our defensive depth via him playing on the third pairing in a year or two. 

Yep.  Agree with all of this.   Also want to add that JB does something like this I’m going to the dark side and going to start making anti-Benning threads thinly veiled like some click bait about something else every second or third day until the mods tell me to stop ha ha.  Said for weeks, before the playoffs were even done that the best thing for the organization in the long run is to just let all three walk.   Didn’t think he’d do it, and maybe the hockey gods intervened with the OEL chance, but it worked out great for us.   The entire defense aside from Schmidt, Myers and Hughes needs to be overhauled  - and we have likely one or two guys that can come in and either fill the roles admirably or be part of the overhaul or both in OJ, Rafferty, Rathbone, Woo and even Brisbois.  

We had an amazing run this year.   Too bad fans weren’t allowed but the excitement was undeniable as was the fact our team isn’t up to Vegas or the final four for that matter, level yet.   Takes some bold moves and more of the same is like Einstein said the definition of insanity.   JB truly has done a masterful job of protecting his key guys from the ED, just needs to sign Benn for one more year of sign a crony for two years at close to the league minimum to wrap it up.   He’s said repeatedly he won’t be giving up picks or prospects to get out of contracts and im very grateful and hopeful he’s got the guts to finish that.   Sutters cap is all needed next year - and two of LE, Beagle and Roussel are required for the ED to keep our forward group safe.   Start trading away futures to access that cap early will create two bigger problems we don’t need.   Just let it shed naturally.  And hope that our kids can not only fill the roles of Sutter and LE, but do a better job. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I agree that this season if Loui can't make the cut he'll probably be demoted, but I don't think that was the case last year. Why? Well, he's got one less year on his deal and he's technically owed less money now than he was. At the end of next season Loui's likely traded or bought out (buying him out should save us a solid amount of cap, unlike the scenario if we'd tried buying him out prior to this season). Where the team stands going into this season and where they were last season is different. Last season we hadn't made the playoffs in four years, this time we're coming off a second round exit after winning two playoff series and almost making it three. The expectations are different, the upside is more visible and the fan excitement and expectations are different as well. Our goal was to make the playoffs, and while it still is there's more of an expectation that we should now that we have. If burying Loui allows us to ice a more competitive lineup this coming season I think there's more willingness from ownership and management to make it happen, in part because of our success last season. 

I’m not a fan of buyouts but do think we might need to do this with one player, possibly to stay cap compliant this year.   Hope we don’t.  The idea of adding another year to LEs cap hit isn’t very palatable given we’ve survived him this long already.   Rather we didn’t.   And until someone can kick him off the PK doubt he won’t be on the roster, possibly even his final year. 

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  Agree with all of this.   Also want to add that JB does something like this I’m going to the dark side and going to start making anti-Benning threads thinly veiled like some click bait about something else every second or third day until the mods tell me to stop ha ha.  Said for weeks, before the playoffs were even done that the best thing for the organization in the long run is to just let all three walk.   Didn’t think he’d do it, and maybe the hockey gods intervened with the OEL chance, but it worked out great for us.   The entire defense aside from Schmidt, Myers and Hughes needs to be overhauled  - and we have likely one or two guys that can come in and either fill the roles admirably or be part of the overhaul or both in OJ, Rafferty, Rathbone, Woo and even Brisbois.  

We had an amazing run this year.   Too bad fans weren’t allowed but the excitement was undeniable as was the fact our team isn’t up to Vegas or the final four for that matter, level yet.   Takes some bold moves and more of the same is like Einstein said the definition of insanity.   JB truly has done a masterful job of protecting his key guys from the ED, just needs to sign Benn for one more year of sign a crony for two years at close to the league minimum to wrap it up.   He’s said repeatedly he won’t be giving up picks or prospects to get out of contracts and im very grateful and hopeful he’s got the guts to finish that.   Sutters cap is all needed next year - and two of LE, Beagle and Roussel are required for the ED to keep our forward group safe.   Start trading away futures to access that cap early will create two bigger problems we don’t need.   Just let it shed naturally.  And hope that our kids can not only fill the roles of Sutter and LE, but do a better job. 

I think Edler will be round for a season or two, but we're gonna gonna have to find someone to fill that spot sooner or later. Maybe he'll surprise and be one of those players that plays effectively into his late 30's? He's had solid seasons the last few years and he's still an important piece. But our bottom pairing is up in the air, it'll be interesting to see who plays in those 5-8 roles. I think that crop of younger D we have might surprise. Rathbone in particular, though I'm stoked about Woo's upside as one of our few RD prospects. 

I'm really not for trading away futures, that got us into trouble eventually during the Gillis era. And that team was more established than this one. I'm glad he's sticking to his guns. 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

I’m not a fan of buyouts but do think we might need to do this with one player, possibly to stay cap compliant this year.   Hope we don’t.  The idea of adding another year to LEs cap hit isn’t very palatable given we’ve survived him this long already.   Rather we didn’t.   And until someone can kick him off the PK doubt he won’t be on the roster, possibly even his final year. 

I think this year's buyout window has passed, and the buyout window related to Virtanen has come and gone as well. So if we see one, it'll be buying out one year at 6m, which impacts our cap less than 2-3 years at 6m. We could also retain cap and trade him out, he'd likely cost less to move with one year left as opposed to multiple. I'll be surprised if he's part of our opening lineup to start the season after this coming season. It'd be nice if he just retired a year early. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I think Edler will be round for a season or two, but we're gonna gonna have to find someone to fill that spot sooner or later. Maybe he'll surprise and be one of those players that plays effectively into his late 30's? He's had solid seasons the last few years and he's still an important piece. But our bottom pairing is up in the air, it'll be interesting to see who plays in those 5-8 roles. I think that crop of younger D we have might surprise. Rathbone in particular, though I'm stoked about Woo's upside as one of our few RD prospects. 

I'm really not for trading away futures, that got us into trouble eventually during the Gillis era. And that team was more established than this one. I'm glad he's sticking to his guns. 

I think this year's buyout window has passed, and the buyout window related to Virtanen has come and gone as well. So if we see one, it'll be buying out one year at 6m, which impacts our cap less than 2-3 years at 6m. We could also retain cap and trade him out, he'd likely cost less to move with one year left as opposed to multiple. I'll be surprised if he's part of our opening lineup to start the season after this coming season. It'd be nice if he just retired a year early. 

Yes it sure would.   Hard to pass up on 4 million though which he’s owed the final year - that contract really was a slice of genuis by his agent unfortunately.    I’ve accepted that he might be around for the duration.   Once Podz arrives it’s going to give the RW a different look, and if he’s as good as advertised LE will almost certainly lose his spot on the PK which would greatly reduce his value on the roster.    Still he might stick around as the extra forward and used sparingly.   It really comes down to what JV and McEwen can manage - even Lind to a certain degree.     His contract is almost buyout proof.   And it’s pure fantasy that in this climate we wouldn’t have to pay a premium on what TO did with Marleau, and he was a more productive player at the time too.   Two firsts plus at this point.   Next season a first plus.   The best thing JB can possibly do is sign QHs and EP as soon  as possible, then work around him.   As far as Edler goes next year we have to replace Sutter, Pearson and Edler - while singing those two.   Bears money will help a bit, but it won’t go far.  Could see one of the two signed long term and the other bridged.   Possibly both of them - but for Edler to come back we’d have to see a significant pay-cut - 50% or so.  Not sure he’d be interested.   But in this climate it might also be close to the best he’d get too. 

Edit: Also JV and AG will get new deals soon enough too...

Edited by IBatch

34 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes it sure would.   Hard to pass up on 4 million though which he’s owed the final year - that contract really was a slice of genuis by his agent unfortunately.    I’ve accepted that he might be around for the duration.   Once Podz arrives it’s going to give the RW a different look, and if he’s as good as advertised LE will almost certainly lose his spot on the PK which would greatly reduce his value on the roster.    Still he might stick around as the extra forward and used sparingly.   It really comes down to what JV and McEwen can manage - even Lind to a certain degree.     His contract is almost buyout proof.   And it’s pure fantasy that in this climate we wouldn’t have to pay a premium on what TO did with Marleau, and he was a more productive player at the time too.   Two firsts plus at this point.   Next season a first plus.   The best thing JB can possibly do is sign QHs and EP as soon  as possible, then work around him.   As far as Edler goes next year we have to replace Sutter, Pearson and Edler - while singing those two.   Bears money will help a bit, but it won’t go far.  Could see one of the two signed long term and the other bridged.   Possibly both of them - but for Edler to come back we’d have to see a significant pay-cut - 50% or so.  Not sure he’d be interested.   But in this climate it might also be close to the best he’d get too. 

Edit: Also JV and AG will get new deals soon enough too...

These next couple seasons are def going to be tricky capwise, but it should get easier after that I believe. We have a good chunk of money coming off the books the year after, with Boeser and Jake currently being the only guys who are likely to be due for a sizable raise. Wouldn't buying out one remaining year give us more flex? Or does his contract structure &^@# up a buyout at basically any junction? I think it might be the latter, which would mean you're right about the buyout bit? 

We're really going to need ELC's stepping in over the next couple seasons to balance things out a bit. Also I could see Edler coming back cheaper, if he wants to continue playing that is. At this point in his career I really don't see him being interested in playing anywhere else in the league. Not with how settled he and his family are. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

These next couple seasons are def going to be tricky capwise, but it should get easier after that I believe. We have a good chunk of money coming off the books the year after, with Boeser and Jake currently being the only guys who are likely to be due for a sizable raise. Wouldn't buying out one remaining year give us more flex? Or does his contract structure &^@# up a buyout at basically any junction? I think it might be the latter, which would mean you're right about the buyout bit? 

We're really going to need ELC's stepping in over the next couple seasons to balance things out a bit. Also I could see Edler coming back cheaper, if he wants to continue playing that is. At this point in his career I really don't see him being interested in playing anywhere else in the league. Not with how settled he and his family are. 

If JB can avoid buyouts or expensive cap dumps there should be plenty for BB, JV, QHs and EP, plus some left over for Edler plus his replacement - I also see him signing with us again next year - his play is still at a good level, and even if he starts to wind down he’d make a great third pairing guy for quite some time yet.   Don’t see him getting a deal like Detroit did with Kronwall until his late 30’s, not given JB offered Tanev this off season, but hope he can squeeze him in next season, after that we should be able to keep him right until he retires.  

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If JB can avoid buyouts or expensive cap dumps there should be plenty for BB, JV, QHs and EP, plus some left over for Edler plus his replacement - I also see him signing with us again next year - his play is still at a good level, and even if he starts to wind down he’d make a great third pairing guy for quite some time yet.   Don’t see him getting a deal like Detroit did with Kronwall until his late 30’s, not given JB offered Tanev this off season, but hope he can squeeze him in next season, after that we should be able to keep him right until he retires.  

Def, there will be money for youth. They'll figure it out. Wouldn't be surprised to see both EP and QH bridged tbh. I figure Edler might do 1-2 year deals, but who knows? I'd love to see him hit 1000 games. Two seasons would likely accomplish that, maybe three. I see him being in a different tier than Tanev, I think his tenure is also more impressive given his longevity and games played. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Buying Eriksson out in a year only saves 2M to the cap - his buyout cap hit is 4M followed by a year at 1M.   The less salary owed the higher the buyout cap hit for the years left on the contract.  

33 minutes ago, mll said:

Buying Eriksson out in a year only saves 2M to the cap - his buyout cap hit is 4M followed by a year at 1M.   The less salary owed the higher the buyout cap hit for the years left on the contract.  

Hmm, so we'd be better off trying to find a taker even at 50% retained. Noted. 

I wonder if it comes to a buyout, it's a shame he's so unlikely to retire. Not that I can blame him for not walking away from millions, most people wouldn't. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Def, there will be money for youth. They'll figure it out. Wouldn't be surprised to see both EP and QH bridged tbh. I figure Edler might do 1-2 year deals, but who knows? I'd love to see him hit 1000 games. Two seasons would likely accomplish that, maybe three. I see him being in a different tier than Tanev, I think his tenure is also more impressive given his longevity and games played. 

With Edler it’s exactly what I see too as one maybe a two year deal, but the days of 6 million are for sure over.   He’s aged like fine wine, but the days of skating the puck have already diminished significantly.   20/17 percentiles isn’t very flattering, was the lowest at both except for Fanta’s zone entries on the team.   Still he gets his points, is good along the boards and infront of the net and that shouldn’t go away at all until he retires.   I also would like to see him get to 1000 games, hard to believe we don’t have one D make that milestone yet.   He would make an excellent third pairing guy right now, I actually hoped that we’d keep Tanev and the two of them would eventually take over that role together.   Schmidt if he comes as advertised, will sure take over as our number two, in a way our number one - for me true number ones can do all things well, like Edler’s peak, but at an even higher level - Theodore, AP, Weber, Hedman, Chara etc types.   League is changing and this is no slight on QHs, he’s a unique talent and ideally suited for the times, if he ends up bulking up like Krug and Reinhart could see him getting there one day too despite his size.   Krug can actually deliver some punishing hits.   Chelios is a perfect example of a little guy who gave more then he took too.   Don’t expect that but do think 15lbs of man muscle would keep him healthy and polish his overall game at the same time.   

Our D does need an overhaul, JBs started this, and yes it sucks we lost Tanev because if we had him as well it would be much better instead of somewhat better.    OJ looked very good.   If he manages no better or worse then his debut we for sure have another piece of the puzzle.  I don’t think he’s going to replace Edler, but do think he could replace Tanev but on the L side, with more offense and a higher overall possession ratio.