The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anger towards Macron grows

CBH1926

25 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Try telling that to the Rohingya in Myanmar.  :rolleyes:

Yes, every religion has its extremist elements for sure.

But for every Myanmar you can add Pakistan, Afghanistan, Somalia, KS, Nigeria, Kenya, France, Indonesia, Iraq, Egypt, Turkey, Chechnya, Niger, India, Philippines etc. to that list.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, crobar said:

I condemn this kind of  behavior from anyone, this topic happened to be about beheadings in France. I also realize the Christians acted pretty well the same way for centuries.

Still do sadly.  the US has become a hotbed of it

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

I don’t think we can put Buddhism and Islam side by side and say both religions produce same kind of violence.
Also besides religious nuts in America, I can’t think of another country in the west that has these types of problems.

You can make fun of Christians in Canada and I highly doubt anyone will come over to cut your head off.

On the other hand if you published a drawing of the prophet next to your name and address, your fate would be determined depending on where you live. 

In Canada I can.  But, I cannot extoll the virtues of Trudeau in rural alberta without risking my life.  I cannot defame trump in america without doing the same.  in both places, deriding "god" also puts me in the same kind of risk category.

I have muslim friends, devout ones that would ask they not be mocked (which we have and do) but they take it in stride knowing that their beliefs aren't everyone else's and that doesnt mean they're right or we're wrong.  Extremists seem to get painted with a thin brush vs a broad brush depending on what side fo the fence they reside on sadly.

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

In Canada I can.  But, I cannot extoll the virtues of Trudeau in rural alberta without risking my life.  I cannot defame trump in america without doing the same.  in both places, deriding "god" also puts me in the same kind of risk category.

I have muslim friends, devout ones that would ask they not be mocked (which we have and do) but they take it in stride knowing that their beliefs aren't everyone else's and that doesnt mean they're right or we're wrong.  Extremists seem to get painted with a thin brush vs a broad brush depending on what side fo the fence they reside on sadly.

In France in particular, I looked back in the 21st century and besides two terrorist attacks by ETA against Spain.

Every other act of terrorism has been committed in the name of Islam.
They have a huge problem with jihadist ideology, not just them but lot of other countries.
Even in Islamic countries that type of terrorism poses the greatest threat.

Followed by this huge migration to Europe things will only get worse.

Guy that killed 3 people arrived from Tunisia to Italy 3 weeks ago.

He was seeking an asylum but once he was denied he boarded the train and went to kill in France.

I gotta be honest, during my refugee days, I was looking to escape the war, not even close to cutting your head off for “insulting” my prophet.

56 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

In France in particular, I looked back in the 21st century and besides two terrorist attacks by ETA against Spain.

Every other act of terrorism has been committed in the name of Islam.
They have a huge problem with jihadist ideology, not just them but lot of other countries.
Even in Islamic countries that type of terrorism poses the greatest threat.

Followed by this huge migration to Europe things will only get worse.

Guy that killed 3 people arrived from Tunisia to Italy 3 weeks ago.

He was seeking an asylum but once he was denied he boarded the train and went to kill in France.

I gotta be honest, during my refugee days, I was looking to escape the war, not even close to cutting your head off for “insulting” my prophet.

The scary thing is, if you look at those numbers.  The overwhelming majority if I recall (and this is ONLY at last check) were home grown terrorists, who had either been born in or raised in those nations.  Unsure if it's a migration issue so much as an outright failure by those nations to weed out, sort out or fix the issues in their own countries that lead to the radicalization of those people.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I'll never apply the actions of a single person to an entire religion, race/ethnicity or whatever, that's not how I was raised.  What I do have a problem with, is the leaders of other countries, predominantly muslim, not standing up and denouncing this type of behaviour.  What I'm seeing is paper thin denouncements that basically amount to: you shouldn't have disrespected the religion and you'd still have your head.  Much like what you see in the USA right now, unfortunately when your head of state signals that it's okay to do or not do something, people listen.  The entire world needs to smarten the F up.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Violator said:

This is all essentially pay back for colonialism.Im sure the French did worse over the years and this is just been a long time coming.

That's like saying France can just go ahead and attack Germany because it's just payback for what they did in world war 2 when they took over their country.  What a stupid comment.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

That's like saying France can just go ahead and attack Germany because it's just payback for what they did in world war 2 when they took over their country.  What a stupid comment.

Germany attacked France for what they did in ww1

13 hours ago, Violator said:

Germany attacked France for what they did in ww1

No, Germany attacked France and her allies for what did they after WWI with the Versailles Treaty where onerous reparations were made against Germany.   The Treaty took away land previously claimed by Germany (the Rhineland) and made them pay huge amounts of money to the Allies.  There was no way Germany was able to pay the money demanded by the Allies and the economy collapsed in the years following WWI.   People like Hitler then came to power railing against the unfair reparations.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The scary thing is, if you look at those numbers.  The overwhelming majority if I recall (and this is ONLY at last check) were home grown terrorists, who had either been born in or raised in those nations.  Unsure if it's a migration issue so much as an outright failure by those nations to weed out, sort out or fix the issues in their own countries that lead to the radicalization of those people.

I think it's a failure on the part of the immigrants to adapt to the new country and culture, wanting to live the same way and by the same laws and customs as in the old country and their kids are caught between two worlds, one at home and a totally different one when they step out the door.

On 10/30/2020 at 3:49 PM, Warhippy said:

Europe has not done a good job with the assimilation but also lot of people don’t want to be assimilated.

Most of the terrorist attacks in the U.K has been committed by homegrown terrorists.

In France on the other hand just like last two attacks that were committed by a Chechen and a Tunisian, most attacks have been done by foreigners. Germany and Sweden have had similar problems.

2 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Europe has not done a good job with the assimilation but also lot of people don’t want to be assimilated.

Most of the terrorist attacks in the U.K has been committed by homegrown terrorists.

In France on the other hand just like last two attacks that were committed by a Chechen and a Tunisian, most attacks have been done by foreigners. Germany and Sweden have had similar problems.

Crazy...

Faith is such a beautiful thing.

Religion though, such a shameful practice

On 10/30/2020 at 6:32 PM, Warhippy said:

Just so we're clear.

Americans right now are pointing weapons at other americans at polling stations saying "gods watching you, vote smart"

Let's not pretend one make believe sky fairies followers are more violent than the other shall we

Whataboutism, no one is making that argument in this thread as far as I can tell.

On 10/30/2020 at 10:08 PM, Violator said:

This is all essentially pay back for colonialism.Im sure the French did worse over the years and this is just been a long time coming.

Yeah the same way my white family is responsible for what happened to First Nations despite coming to Canada after the ugliest part of that history was over, eye for an eye and we’ll all go blind or how it goes? I'm also 1/16th Cree, so I guess that absolves me somehow?

Edited by canuckster19
  • Thanks 2

Khabib Nurmagomedov attacks French President Macron over comments about Islam

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/10/30/21542444/khabib-nurmagomedov-attacks-french-president-emmanuel-macron-over-comments-about-islam

“May God disfigure the face of this scum and that of all his followers who, under the slogan of free speech, offended the feelings of over 1.5 billion Muslims,” Nurmagomedov wrote in an Instagram post (h/t RT Sports). “May the Almighty humiliate them in this life, and in the next. Allah is quick in calculation and you will see it.

“We are Muslims, we love our Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) more than our mothers, fathers, children, wives and all other people close to our hearts. Believe me, these provocations will come back to them, the end is always for the God-fearing,” Khabib added.

Khabib is one of the best MMA fighters to ever compete. He is undefeated and very popular.

I was a fan of his but now I am not. At. All. 

What an idiot, this is promoting terrorism.